Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 02:33 PM

663 posts, read 777,923 times

Advertisements

They write a huge paragraph about mainly nothing and I am pretty sure I am speaking for most of us here who want concise short point forms.

Case in point #1:
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ose-again.html

Replies:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
(I only read every third word or so ...)

I think you should clean your house more often so when you -do- talk to the guy, it's about real issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I got a headache before reading half of it, but if its like a lot of other posts that have been started on here, I think the definition of insanity applies.

Case in point #2:
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...irst-date.html
*This post was originally 2-3 the size.

Replies:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizo916 View Post
way too long....
Case in point #3:
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...r-breakup.html

Case in point #4:
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...on-person.html

Replies:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Honestly, I just skimmed the first few paragraphs.

Have you ever wondered why you have all these posts about guys, and all the misunderstandings you have?
Case in point #5:
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...elocating.html

Replies:
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Paragraphs are your friend. It's absolutely painful to read one large text blob like that. I'd spend some time working on your writing skills before you date again.
Case in point #6:
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...at-should.html

Replies:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I'm not reading all that.

break up with her/thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
tldr

lol people still don't get the point? Pun intended.

Last edited by techcrium; 08-29-2014 at 02:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 02:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Don't read those threads if you don't like how they present things.

It is a public forum and anyone can post and choose how to present their story, besides why would you care?
If writing it out somehow makes them feel better or puts things into a better perspective for them that is really all that matters; not your idea of what is or is not appropriate as far as thread presentation.

I won't read those and generally don't leave a comment but when I do it is usually suggested to change the font and size or color of the text simply because it is very hard to read for some who do not have good eyesight.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Don't read those threads if you don't like how they present things.

It is a public forum and anyone can post and choose how to present their story, besides why would you care?
If writing it out somehow makes them feel better or puts things into a better perspective for them that is really all that matters; not your idea of what is or is not appropriate as far as thread presentation.

I won't read those and generally don't leave a comment but when I do it is usually suggested to change the font and size or color of the text simply because it is very hard to read for some who do not have good eyesight.
Well if their actual goal is the get a good amount of responses then they aren't doing it right. A fair amount of people will just skip the paragraphs based on the replies you see.

If their goal is to just vent and really achieve nothing....well...then continue on.

So my real question is: Are they actually trying to get a perspective with their story novel paragraphs that 70% will not read or are they just writing for the sake of writing and venting?

Old 08-29-2014, 02:40 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Well if their actual goal is the get a good amount of responses then they aren't doing it right. A fair amount of people will just skip the paragraphs based on the replies you see.

If their goal is to just vent and really achieve nothing....well...then continue on.
Maybe this forum just isn't for you.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Too much information is almost better than the people who leave out chunks of the story. Like, say, a guy will post about how his girlfriend flipped out on him and doesn't trust him. People will give him advice, and then on page 5 he'll casually drop that well, she did catch him in bed with another woman. Something that would have completely changed our perception of the situation.

Old 08-29-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Maybe this forum just isn't for you.
I have quoted numerous replies of people who want concise points. I guess this forum is not for many people then except those who just want to vent?

Old 08-29-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Too much information is almost better than the people who leave out chunks of the story. Like, say, a guy will post about how his girlfriend flipped out on him and doesn't trust him. People will give him advice, and then on page 5 he'll casually drop that well, she did catch him in bed with another woman. Something that would have completely changed our perception of the situation.
Can I have a thread link of such an example?

Because I don't often see such things. However, in my OP scenario, I see ALL the time.

Heck...all my links were on the FIRST 1-2 pages. If I actually went through 10 pages, I could give you 20-30 examples.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:08 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Most people have verbal diarrhea. Especially first-timers just start writing it all out the way they would tell a friend.

My biggest pet peeve is when they start out with "so,"

"So I met this guy ...."

Old 08-29-2014, 03:18 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Can I have a thread link of such an example?

Because I don't often see such things. However, in my OP scenario, I see ALL the time.

Heck...all my links were on the FIRST 1-2 pages. If I actually went through 10 pages, I could give you 20-30 examples.
It happens. I'm sure other posters can back me up, but it's Labor Day weekend and I don't really care enough to pore through pages of threads.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:21 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
I have quoted numerous replies of people who want concise points. I guess this forum is not for many people then except those who just want to vent?
Well, yes. There are plenty of those types of posts. Some of the people who are posting for help are young, and aren't good about being concise. They feel they have to explain all the details. Sometimes, that's actually helpful. Compared to people who leave too much info out, so we can't help them. In any case, when dealing with the public, it's usually best to be somewhat flexible and understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships