Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:20 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I dont see any problem with this at all, and I would think there would be a lot of women who would respond to that.

If I decide to date, and I dont foresee that in the immediate future, but if I did, I would also do a financial check on anyone responding. At this point in my life, I dont want to support anyone else; even if I did, it would be stupid, as I have far less years in front of me than behind me.

I think the OP is smart. He just needs to weed out the leeches and be patient.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallia1 View Post
Blktop, you seem like a pretty obnoxious person and I am not surprised that you are having issues finding the person that you seek. Yes, there are women who erroneously assume that older men will be completely blinded by their youth and/or beauty in an attempt to "be taken care of."

That said, your approach is extremely uncouth. Take money out of the equation entirely. Your concern is being with women at the same stage/age as yourself. This is understandable and in fact, laudable. If you are meeting women who don't meet that criteria, you should simply eliminate them without further contact (or undue analysis).

But to demean others by asking what else they "bring to the table besides themselves" is unnecessary.

It is my experience that those who are so stringently attached to money, ultimately lose it.

Good luck.
Thank you.. What is it that makes me seem obnoxious to you? Specifically?

Why do you get mad when I express my desire not to find -- someone to support?

I demean them?

You are saying that it is somehow my "fault" because I spend an hour or so talking to these women who read my profile and messaged me, and then when I find they don't meet my desires that I have already clearly stated, it is my fault that I end the conversation by reiterating my goals? I should instead just say. "Sorry, I have to go wash my cat, and then never get back to them again?"

I think your idea of tack and honesty must not be the same as mine.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:26 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,736,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
My profile on an OLD site says I am about to retire and looking for someone in the same mindset and financial situation. But almost all the responses I get are from younger women (35-40) looking to hook up and take a free ride. When I point out my posted requirement that they come to the table with something other than themselves; boy, do they get mad.

What percentage of people in the US do you think have not prepared for life by obtaining any legally marketable skills, followed up by a job and savings, and would just prefer to find someone to take care of them in their later years?
How do you know they want a free ride exactly? You don't. Very few people in this country have any real retirement savings.

36% of Americans Not Saving for Retirement | Fox Business

The question you should probably ask is why aren't people of your age interested in you?

Old 08-31-2014, 12:27 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
I completly understand the OPs position. When I was in the dating scene, I would never have dated someone who I perceived to have much less than I did. I worked too hard all my life to suddenly have someone who wanted to mooch. Surprisingly, all of the men I dated had at least as much as me...and yes, I took turns paying for the dates.

My current situation is with someone who has far more than I do...but I still pay most of my own way.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:31 PM

284 posts, read 340,772 times
Quote:
Thank you.. What is it that makes me seem obnoxious to you? Specifically? Why do you get mad when I express my desire not to find -- someone to support?
I assure you that I am not mad. I am blunt because I am British, not because I feel particularly strongly on the issue. The way things are looking for me, I will probably retire in my 40s so I understand where you're coming from.

Regardless, your approach as well as your attitude could use an overhaul.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,404,313 times
Perhaps you're not looking in the right places. Where are you searching exactly? Cheap/free sites like PlentyOfFish or OKCupid? You won't find many SERIOUS prospects that way if you are. Try E-Harmony or Match.com (which are PAY sites but bring in more serious/wealthy/established members who are serious about longer term matching and not just casual hookups). You get what you pay for when it comes to online dating......

Old 08-31-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
How do you know they want a free ride exactly? You don't. Very few people in this country have any real retirement savings.
I guess the problem here is the same as on the dating site. Someone who does not read and then makes assumptions.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:36 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Yes, I realize it is a numbers game.. .and that the chances of finding what I am looking for are very slim. But I surely am not the only person in the world who is retiring at 54 and financially unencumbered. That is why I choose to go to OLD, because I am not going to meet that person walking down the street.
Honestly, I'm not sure how many retired bankers (I know women who retired from banking in their 40's) or independently wealthy women would be using OLD. A better bet for you might be a professional matchmaking service. You're batting in the wrong park.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
Perhaps you're not looking in the right places. Where are you searching exactly? Cheap/free sites like PlentyOfFish or OKCupid? You won't find many SERIOUS prospects that way if you are. Try E-Harmony or Match.com (which are PAY sites but bring in more serious/wealthy/established members who are serious about longer term matching and not just casual hookups). You get what you pay for when it comes to online dating......
I've been there too - even on "Millionaire" dating sites. The results are all the same as far as I can tell. As I said earlier. I am assuming this will just be a futile effort, but it just amazes me that women get mad - when it is they who are causing the ruckus by ignoring the post in the first place.

Thanks for the input.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:43 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallia1 View Post
Blktop, you seem like a pretty obnoxious person and I am not surprised that you are having issues finding the person that you seek. Yes, there are women who erroneously assume that older men will be completely blinded by their youth and/or beauty in an attempt to "be taken care of."

That said, your approach is extremely uncouth. Take money out of the equation entirely. Your concern is being with women at the same stage/age as yourself. This is understandable and in fact, laudable. If you are meeting women who don't meet that criteria, you should simply eliminate them without further contact (or undue analysis).

But to demean others by asking what else they "bring to the table besides themselves" is unnecessary.

It is my experience that those who are so stringently attached to money, ultimately lose it.

Good luck.

It's worth remembering that you do catch more flies with honey than with vinegar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships