Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 02:16 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,065 times

Advertisements

[quote=NewbiePoster;36317367]For OLD, it's best, because you don't know the person you're meeting, and first dates are usually a basic meet-&-greet, to see if you even want to date beyond that. It's not fair to men to have to pay for some kind of meal or event or snack if you don't click, and they have 10 more dates lined up that week or month.[/QUOTE]

For every 10 dates that you might have lined up with other women that week, she probably has 10 times that amount.

You can insist on everything being "fair" if you want to, but I think it's a losing strategy. You're competing with a lot of other men for her attention. If I were a man and I was sincerely interested in getting to know a particular woman, I would be playing to win, not playing to make a point about fairness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 05:32 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Whoever sets up the date should be ready to pay.

However, it wouldn't be right to expect a free ride bring your wallet.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:56 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Well, I entirely live off my mom's income for the time being which is a primary reason I don't date. I should have a job in the next couple weeks, though.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:56 AM

69 posts, read 67,810 times
I definitely agree with the whole going dutch movement. First dates are to gauge whether or not there's even potential for a relationship, and the two of you are essentially strangers, so neither party is under any obligation to pay regardless of who asked who. It's a date not a transaction, he's not buying my time so I'll always offer to go dutch. Although, if my date is set on paying I'll let him, and while I'm flattered by the sentiment it can leave me feeling a bit obligated or uncomfortable at times...

Old 09-01-2014, 10:04 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFishBigPond View Post
I definitely agree with the whole going dutch movement. First dates are to gauge whether or not there's even potential for a relationship, and the two of you are essentially strangers, so neither party is under any obligation to pay regardless of who asked who. It's a date not a transaction, he's not buying my time so I'll always offer to go dutch. Although, if my date is set on paying I'll let him, and while I'm flattered by the sentiment it can leave me feeling a bit obligated or uncomfortable at times...

Times are changing. What do you think about chivalry on the first date?

Old 09-01-2014, 10:08 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Is this the norm now?

10 Bad First-Date Moves

Per that article, from match.com of all sources, Going Dutch is the recommended move.
Hopefully so. I don't get why men are expected to put their money into something that may not go anywhere and someone they don't really know.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:08 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Always. Always, always, always.

I'm female, and ALWAYS insisted on paying my way on first dates.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,208,115 times
im so old fashioned in this regard.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:02 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
I'll always pay on the first date. In fact, I'll pay most of the time, BUT I do think the woman should offer to pay occasionally. If not, I feel taken advantage of. This was true of my last girlfriend, who as it turns out, was only looking for a man with a lot of money. Guess I dodged a bullet there. Its really hard for men these days to know what a woman thinks. Women have the advantage of making a lot more money than in the past (theoretically the same as men, though I realize thats not actually the case) and still have the man pay for everything. Some even expect it.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
Going dutch mean you pay half he/she pay half what is not digest me at all even though I live here.But there are advantages on that as total strangers if you guys did not click then you had a meal on your own. That is there.This far I paid my dates except to the last weirdo. what ever the link does not work. so no clue what said there. I had 3 dates per past 5 years so I know less. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships