Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 10:28 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
You never know, they might know about you.Or wished for a grandchild and never knew.
I would love to visit Ireland.My grandfather came over on the boat.
yeah, both sides of my family started out in Ireland... my mom's maiden name was O'Shea for heaven's sake..... if you got and "O" or "Mc" in your name then there's a hard time denying the Irish ancestry.... LOL.....

Old 01-01-2015, 10:32 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
yeah, both sides of my family started out in Ireland... my mom's maiden name was O'Shea for heaven's sake..... if you got and "O" or "Mc" in your name then there's a hard time denying the Irish ancestry.... LOL.....
Lol we have that too.Most drop it when they came to the U.S.To sound less Irish.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:38 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
My last name it totally Swedish. Can't hide it one bit.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:38 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Spain and France are two places I want to visit. Add Australia to that list.
France /Spain would be awesome .

Quote:
My Mom was an Aussie... she left her family at a young age and on very bad terms for whatever reason and she never really talked much about her family other than a few references here and there... upon her death and going through her stuff she kept a letter that her mom had sent her, I guess when I was born she sent a pic of me to her mother in Australia and in reading the letter her mother sent, she had certain desperation to see me and her, for that matter.

The sad part is that the letter is so faded and I can't make out any kind of return address, of course she's most likely passed......

I find the whole thing sort of sad that I was denied a whole side of my family because of my mom, I don't know what happened and why she left... but I think based on my mom, she had a whole lot of issues and communication wasn't her strong suit.... but I guess at the end of the day it's water under the bridge.... I just wonder how much family I have over there and I wonder if they know about me and if they ever wonder about me.........
That is a bit sad.... That would have been a helluva journey for your mum at that time.
As Raena said you could try ancestory.com...... ive thought about doing that, I just question how good records were in little italian towns, lol

That's a strong reason why I want to see Italy too. See where my parents were born etc.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:39 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound;[B
37851973]Mrs. Chow has been complaining about her hands being cold and we're trying to not run the heater more than we have to.[/b]

I look over and she's wearing fingerless gloves.

She looks like a hobo

I'm fine, not cold at all..... but in all fairness we are California weather wimps..... LOL...

She's not usually cold, as she's got some cushion.....
Put a log on the fire......

Old 01-01-2015, 10:48 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Lol! I like

Sea mentioned there was snow close by. Just seeing snow, and not driving hours to it, as some sort of novelty is odd to me.
Lol I want to experience a cold/white Christmas at least once in my life.
I'd like SoCal weather, for sure. I like the heat, generally. This is just a bit too hot, lol

Visit! Its worth the 14 hr plane ride, lol
Those places are on my list too. I'd probably go there first too..
I definitely want to visit Australia at some point.

Quote:
Awwww Chow. Get over here and get a hug. (Squeeze) Did you ever try ancestry. com?
Actually, part of the address was visible, and I started just casually researching it, but I didn't really come across anything. And then, like Chow said, we started kind of getting cold feet about contacting them, even if we could find them. What if there were bad feelings, or what if there was no one left old enough to remember or care?... I don't know...

Quote:
You never know, they might know about you.Or wished for a grandchild and never knew.
I would love to visit Ireland.My grandfather came over on the boat.
Would love to go there, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
France /Spain would be awesome .

That is a bit sad.... That would have been a helluva journey for your mum at that time.
As Raena said you could try ancestory.com...... ive thought about doing that, I just question how good records were in little italian towns, lol

That's a strong reason why I want to see Italy too. See where my parents were born etc.
I always wonder about that, too, lol. How do we know that what those people are giving us is accurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Put a log on the fire......

I wish!...

Old 01-01-2015, 10:51 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Mrs. Chow has been complaining about her hands being cold and we're trying to not run the heater more than we have to.

I look over and she's wearing fingerless gloves.

She looks like a hobo

I'm fine, not cold at all..... but in all fairness we are California weather wimps..... LOL...

She's not usually cold, as she's got some cushion.....
I have cushion too, but the thing is on humans it doesn't keep you warm lol!

Old 01-01-2015, 10:56 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Lol, well, I'm not usually one of those people who are cold all the time.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah... well, it keeps me warm.....

Old 01-01-2015, 11:07 PM

Since we've mentioned Australia, my favorite cultural attache is Les Patterson......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nULFMp4jKBo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships