Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 09:26 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
Well, a generation in it's simplest terms is roughly the number of years between the birth of a parent to the birth of their child. The last time I studied up on this (in college) a generation was considered about 25 yrs.

You might be thinking more in terms of decades? I think in this day and age, a decade would be a bit more accurate though, because the technology that is constantly evolving seems to create bigger gaps between the decades.
I get the text book definition, cause I looked it up, but I guess since I work with a lot of guys that are up to 20 yrs younger and 10 yrs younger that even at 10 yrs younger the guys seems just... IDK.... it's like I have nothing in common with them.... they way they dress, their political views, social views... just seems odd... that is sort of what was driving my post.... the disconnect at just 10 yrs or so... seems odd to me..... IDK..... it probably goes both ways...I'm not sure how much I'd have in common with a dude that was 55.... so... who knows...

Old 02-13-2015, 09:46 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I get the text book definition, cause I looked it up, but I guess since I work with a lot of guys that are up to 20 yrs younger and 10 yrs younger that even at 10 yrs younger the guys seems just... IDK.... it's like I have nothing in common with them.... they way they dress, their political views, social views... just seems odd... that is sort of what was driving my post.... the disconnect at just 10 yrs or so... seems odd to me..... IDK..... it probably goes both ways...I'm not sure how much I'd have in common with a dude that was 55.... so... who knows...
Well that's why I mentioned that tech plays a big part....at least in my opinion.

I have much more in common with older folks than younger. Truth be told, some of the folks I work with, and even some of the parents I deal with annoy the shyt out of me. Most are narcissistic and self-important and lack respect for others. That whole "trophy generation". Everyone plays, everyone gets a trophy everyone is special...the "look at me" generation...it's how they were raised.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:51 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Well that's why I mentioned that tech plays a big part....at least in my opinion.

I have much more in common with older folks than younger. Truth be told, some of the folks I work with, and even some of the parents I deal with annoy the shyt out of me. Most are narcissistic and self-important and lack respect for others. That whole "trophy generation". Everyone plays, everyone gets a trophy everyone is special...the "look at me" generation...it's how they were raised.
That's one of my biggest pet peeves. Nobody gets to learn what it's like to lose.

I'm glad I missed that boat.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:

LOL.. well.... don't get me started on the..... "trophy generation"... LOL perfect way of saying it.....

The thing is is that life will chew and spit you out... I think parents are doing a bit of a disservice to their kids with that approach... matter of fact I've read articles that young people today have too much false self confidence.... just from that... helicopter parenting approach. Some headshrinker was talking about how it doesn't prepare them for the real world, the real world where no one give a crapola about ya.....

Old 02-13-2015, 10:35 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL.. well.... don't get me started on the..... "trophy generation"... LOL perfect way of saying it.....

The thing is is that life will chew and spit you out... I think parents are doing a bit of a disservice to their kids with that approach... matter of fact I've read articles that young people today have too much false self confidence.... just from that... helicopter parenting approach. Some headshrinker was talking about how it doesn't prepare them for the real world, the real world where no one give a crapola about ya.....
You know, on second thought...I take back what I said about old people. A-holes know no boundaries when it comes to age. Sometimes I feel like I'm in some kind of freakin' twilight zone when I read down into the depths of this board.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
You know, on second thought...I take back what I said about old people. A-holes know no boundaries when it comes to age. Sometimes I feel like I'm in some kind of freakin' twilight zone when I read down into the depths of this board.

I'm finding myself going to other parts of the forum more these days, and just check in with chat... I've posted a bit in relationships... but if you skim the threads..... it seems like 90 percent of them are just BS... or rehashed BS.... other forums don't seem to suffer the same weirdness that is in relationships... I mean the food forum is cool, the cities forums seem OK... but damn... Relationships and POC seems to draw out the ****ing crazies.....

Old 02-13-2015, 10:40 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
I've toured the forum. I gotta say the psychology forum has some idiots.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:47 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I've toured the forum. I gotta say the psychology forum has some idiots.
I've just come to the conclusion idiots can be found anywhere

Now, tell me more about these double chocolate brownies

Old 02-13-2015, 10:48 PM

19,386 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post

Old 02-13-2015, 10:55 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post

I can't tell you. It's a recipe that my grandma made and she doesn't intend on giving away to the world lol. She taught it to me and most of the women in the family, and has it in a recipe book. That's where it will stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships