Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 10:40 AM

36 posts, read 59,367 times

Advertisements

I may be lazy but it seems online is the best way to meet people in general, that have common interest. Sites like meetup.com and facebook make it so much easier to develop friendships and make it easier to filter through people who you wouldn't have an interest in.

Last night at the club I realized how much work you have to put in, in order to meet someone. You have to find parking, a lively club, pay money before you can even get the chance to meet someone. Then you have to play a guessing game to find out which girl may or may not have an interest in you. That in itself is a nightmare. You could go to a club and it will have 40 girls in there and only 5 will be interested in you. You have to find those 5 girls and then there's a chance you guys would be incompatible. Even if you manage to get 2 phone numbers now you have play the game of trying to win her over, the only problem is she may be the complete opposite of your personality and lose interest.

Or you could do the process of elimination and find out her interest and preference in men before you even engage her by viewing her profile online. Facebook helps alot and assists in meeting new people through dating/online social sites. Most people who use dating sites have a facebook as well.

Its like a life hack. All you have to do is find someone that fits your preference and you fit there's; then add them on facebook. Exchange numbers talk for a few days and then go out to meet each other. Your already 5-6 steps ahead using online vs. traditional dating.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 10:46 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
I do not think traditional dating is outdated. Someday it might happened, but not now. I've met people from online (not lately) and they did not live up to their description of themselves.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:51 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,118 times
When you look at the most common ways in which people meet, online dating is currently at the top, at around 15 - 16 % followed very closely by the workplace, at close to 15%.

However, if you use the broader categorizations of just "online vs offline", then something like 85% of people meet their other offline.

It is predicted, however, that by 2030, roughly 50% of all romantic relationships will begin online, and by 2050, 70%.

I'm already seeing this increasingly among my friends, with a good chunk getting almost all of their dates online or through some app like Tinder. We're varied in age from our late 20s on up to our early 40s.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:58 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,935 times
I don't know if traditional dating is being outdated but from reading messages on this board, it seems like OLD has alot more rules than traditional dating.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:06 AM

12 posts, read 13,113 times
I have found online dating sucks. I would have to lower my standards a lot to get a date via OKStupid and the like. I'll admit I am pretty bad at meeting women and I still do better just meeting people around campus.

It might be different for older people. I know my dad has had a lot of luck with it.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:12 AM

14 posts, read 15,822 times
Default Internet Dating

There are currently more "cons" in internet dating than "pros". You could very well introduce yourself to 5000 members before you find that one you are looking for. Those 5000 members can be real, fake, scammers, and psychos. All I have to say is, "buyer beware". I personally started dating at 59 years of age. I spoke to thousands of members on about 10 websites. I chose 10 men to pursue. I maintained an ongoing friendship with 5 of them. None have been marriage material. I am 64 now. I no longer particpate in any dating website and rarely visit Facebook, etc.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:12 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicecooperfan View Post
I have found online dating sucks. I would have to lower my standards a lot to get a date via OKStupid and the like. I'll admit I am pretty bad at meeting women and I still do better just meeting people around campus.

It might be different for older people. I know my dad has had a lot of luck with it.

I never tried OLD because you cannot get a genuine feel for someone and it seems like a lot of gamesmanship goes on. Too much for me.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:18 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I do not think traditional dating is outdated. Someday it might happened, but not now. I've met people from online (not lately) and they did not live up to their description of themselves.
Yup!

Also, how often are people really honest with themselves when taking personality assessments?

How often are they answering according to how they feel they "should" be as opposed to how they "actually are"?

I don't think traditional dating is outdated, at all. I think it's even more romantic when you meet people through friends of friends or family, where there is some sort of trust and responsibility involved unlike meeting a complete random stranger like say.. at nightclubs, bars, or strangers, in general.

I'm all for traditional dating. There's a nuance about meeting someone in person that makes the experience more natural and real, in-the-moment, and sweet. You get to feel the energy of the person, and your chemistry (personality, compatibility shines through in idiosyncratic ways).

Perhaps online can be the same? But, just seems to de-personalize the experience when people are just seen as another number. Kinda impersonal.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:23 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissangtr View Post
...but it seems online is the best way to meet people in general
For younger people... not so much. They're still better off meeting peers at school etc.

But for most adults (with jobs and homes and other business)...
it clearly is "the best way to meet people in general"

Just don't make the mistake of calling that online experience "dating".
And neither is email or texting or even phone calls.

Dating involves sharing real life experiences. Regularly. Daily.
Being willing, even enthusiastic to knock on a door and meet someone.
Anything short of this is delusion.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:28 AM

12 posts, read 13,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizo916 View Post
I never tried OLD because you cannot get a genuine feel for someone and it seems like a lot of gamesmanship goes on. Too much for me.
There is that and if you're a young guy the odds are stacked against you so badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships