Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 04:23 PM

143 posts, read 169,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Hm. Have you ever thrown a party yourself? Nothing is stopping you.
Even if it weren't a problem getting more than a few people to come I'd be in big trouble if it were at my house. I don't like alcohol so I wouldn't have that bait to attract more people. I could get it for that but I wouldn't. Besides you can't buy it until you're 21. My house is small anyway. Neighbors would tell my mom. My dad might get mad if the house is wrecked up more (more than it already is from natural reasons) because he wants to buy it and get us out of it. I would have to have my own place or be able to use another place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 04:29 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I was 42 and he was 47. We met online on match.com. The first second we laid eyes on each other on our first date, we both fell head over heels in love. That first date was the best night of my life, EVER. We have been inseparable ever since and will celebrate our ninth anniversary next year.

But we always say the anniversary of our first date is the most special anniversary. That one's coming up next week and we've already got our reservations made at the same restaurant we met at, where we go every year on that special night. I can't wait!

The day after that date, I woke up and immediately wondered, "Why are my face and stomach so sore?" I realized that it was because I had laughed so hard for so many hours straight the night before! Now THAT'S a good feeling.

That morning, I called my mom and told her I'd met the man I was going to marry. I didn't realize till months later that the same morning, he had called his brother and told him he had met the woman he was going to marry.

He is my very best friend.
I'm glad I finished reading the whole paragraph, I went to full dirty mind with the first sentence.

I should have added to my "College" that we were both out of it for several years until we got married. I was 27, she 25, and we got married right before I left for OCS. Married officers have better benefits.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:41 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
We met on tour when I was 25 and he was 27. We've been married for 9 years!

Old 09-04-2014, 05:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
KA, I thought perhaps he harvested your organs.
Glad everything worked out.
HAHRAHRAHRHARHARHARHAHHARAR!

Well, considering we parted ways in our separate cars that evening, off to our separate homes, that would have really been a feat!

I had a feeling I was going to marry him, but I wasn't quite ready to let him know where I lived, or see me nekkid, till I knew him a LOT better! LOL

Old 09-04-2014, 05:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Matchmaking website back in 1999. (I was on Match.com back then as well, but the site we met on was cool in that it wasn't strictly "matchmaking." It was a neat social tool to meet other people from other parts of the country and world.) I deleted his first 2 messages, but he caught my attention with his 3rd.

I was 24, he was 29. We're now married 11 years with 4 little munchkins.
Do you remember his first message, or the message that caught your attention?

My (to be) husband sent me a one liner: "You have beautiful eyes."

We had a pretty hilarious discussion YEARS after we got married, about our online profiles. I had put SO MUCH THOUGHT into mine - trying to really get an honest description of myself and my interests, goals, etc out there. So one day long after we were married, we were talking about how we'd met, and I asked him, "What was it about my profile that caught your attention?" I was thinking it must have been my beautiful prose, my political or philosophical descriptions, or whatever.

He said, "You were hot."

Yes, men are from Mars.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:30 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Griffin View Post
Even if it weren't a problem getting more than a few people to come I'd be in big trouble if it were at my house. I don't like alcohol so I wouldn't have that bait to attract more people. I could get it for that but I wouldn't. Besides you can't buy it until you're 21. My house is small anyway. Neighbors would tell my mom. My dad might get mad if the house is wrecked up more (more than it already is from natural reasons) because he wants to buy it and get us out of it. I would have to have my own place or be able to use another place.
You don't need alcohol to have a party, and it doesn't have to be wild or done in secret.

Just get some friends together on Sunday to watch the game, or have a get together where everyone brings their favorite dish to eat. Or have a game night, everyone bring a game and a friend that other people don't know and soon you have a bunch of new friends. It's not rocket science.

Will your parents seriously be mad if you ask them if you can have a few friends over? That seems so strange to me, as it is an expected part of American culture. You might be surprised when they turn out to be relieved that you have some kind of social life!

Old 09-04-2014, 08:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cislga View Post
Not for us! 19 years this Dec. I knew I wanted to marry him three months after our first date, I just waited for him to ask....
Yep, we were both pretty solid on it about three months in. Having lived through our own respective previous serious relationships and having waited a while for marriage, we were both pretty clear on what we wanted and didn't want in life by the time we met in our midthirties/early forties.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Do you remember his first message, or the message that caught your attention?

My (to be) husband sent me a one liner: "You have beautiful eyes."

We had a pretty hilarious discussion YEARS after we got married, about our online profiles. I had put SO MUCH THOUGHT into mine - trying to really get an honest description of myself and my interests, goals, etc out there. So one day long after we were married, we were talking about how we'd met, and I asked him, "What was it about my profile that caught your attention?" I was thinking it must have been my beautiful prose, my political or philosophical descriptions, or whatever.

He said, "You were hot."

Yes, men are from Mars.
I messaged my now-husband first.

We actually have a running joke about how he was kind of apprehensive about meeting me for our initial date at a cafe, because, and I quote, "In one of your profile pictures, in thumbnail size, it looked kind of like you had a fish eye. When I met you, I was really glad you didn't have a fish eye, because I really liked what you wrote, and that you wrote me. And that your e-mail to me was grammatically correct. But mostly what you wrote. I'm not trying to be shallow, but you having a fish eye would have made things harder, so it's great that you don't have a fish eye."

We had been together for almost a year when he 'fessed up to the dreaded fish eye trepidation. I'm not sure what a fish eye is, but apparently, I don't have one, and that's clearly a relief. BUTTTT...he was willing to overlook a potential fish eye, because I am apparently so effing cool. Super thumbs up.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:14 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
I met #1 at a football game while i was in college in the US. I met #2 in a club in Copenhagen.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:22 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Griffin View Post
Having some friends over does NOT have to involve alcohol.
Having some friends over does NOT mean you keep it a secret from your mom.
Having some friends over does NOT mean you wreck the house.

My kids had friends over all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships