Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:08 PM

62 posts, read 121,027 times

Advertisements

I'm still pretty young and not thinking about marriage yet, but I've thought about this a lot lately because my parents frequently fought about money despite being reasonably comfortable. I can only imagine how much worse it is if a household is living paycheck to paycheck.

I think I'd want to keep a separate account, at least for the money I saved and invested prior to the relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 10:14 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
I'm still pretty young and not thinking about marriage yet, but I've thought about this a lot lately because my parents frequently fought about money despite being reasonably comfortable. I can only imagine how much worse it is if a household is living paycheck to paycheck.

I think I'd want to keep a separate account, at least for the money I saved and invested prior to the relationship.

Every married couple I ever knew who insisted on completely separate bank accts and he pays this, she pays that has ended up in divorce or just complete misery.

Marriage is supposed to involve a team effort. When couples can't come together as a team and instead act as opponents there will always be issues.

That being said, when entering a marriage it is wise to have lots of good communication ahead of time about expectations and goals, especially when it comes to finances.

When people take the time to do this they can better negotiate what they are each comfortable with so that neither of them has to feel discounted or taken advantage of.

Therefore, I would not suggest you make up your mind right now as to how you will handle things later if and when you do marry. Wait until you actually have a significant other and make these decisions together, AS A TEAM.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:18 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post

We actually have several accounts, one is his, one is mine and one is ours and that is outside of my business account.
It works well for us but we both have complete access to all accounts so there is never an issue about what funds are where and why.

Some people it can work out great and others will struggle with it.
Finances can be very hard on any relationship unless those in the relationship are on the same financial page.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:18 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
My hubby and I did this. I don't believe it had any effect on our separation 10 years later. It may have contributed to making that separation easy and congenial, though.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:54 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,935 times
i think it's freaking smart. This will prevent your spouse from royally screwing you when she/he leaves you. Have a joint account to pay the basic bills but that's it.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:56 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,589 times
Every married couple I ever knew who insisted on completely shared 'mi casa es su casa' bank accts where both paychecks autodeposited into one acct and all bills were paid out of that one acct and both people had withdrawl access
has ended up in bankruptcy or just complete misery.

You will fight about her buying shoes and purses with the money you said was earmarked for your new fishing pole or golf clubs. When the check bounces for the cableTV, one party will say "but I had to pay the car insurance. I thought you said you got paid yesterday. Why did you withdrawl cash at the ATM and screw it all up?!?"

As complicated as it is, I recommend solo accts for each, and third shared acct for common agreed expenses. I don't *want* to fight about your Christian Louboutin SHOES.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
It's very situational. I had a LTR where we lived together for years, but did not share bank accounts, and that was a very good thing. My husband and I have multiple accounts between the two of us, both ones we've opened together and ones that predate our relationship/marriage, but we each have access to all of them.

We don't ever fight about money/expenditures, because our spending habits and saving habits are extremely compatible, and we discuss or at least give the head's up of any individual purchases of over $100. And we're both quite thrifty They day I buy Louboutins, for instance, will be the day I die.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:02 PM

62 posts, read 121,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Every married couple I ever knew who insisted on completely separate bank accts and he pays this, she pays that has ended up in divorce or just complete misery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
Every married couple I ever knew who insisted on completely shared 'mi casa es su casa' bank accts where both paychecks autodeposited into one acct and all bills were paid out of that one acct and both people had withdrawl access has ended up in bankruptcy or just complete misery.
Who do I believe?

Old 09-05-2014, 11:10 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,578,811 times
I haven't added my wife to my bank account yet, but if she insists I will. She's not the type to spend money without telling me anyways.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:17 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,589 times
OK, ok - they were KNOCKOFF Christian Louboutin shoes. But you get my point.

And I hope lovesMountains didn't mind my sing-song parody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships