Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 06:42 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natiam View Post
How does it work? He's busy with work now but we text each other constantly throughout the day and he always comes over after work, so I see him almost daily now. He does travel a lot during certain times of the year, but there are also slow time where he does not. I don't know how I can go from seeing him daily to only once or twice a month (if even that) and be ok with it.

That said, I worked really hard to get into this graduate program so even just the idea of not attending it kills me a little inside. I know I'll end up moving for school because if I don't, I will forever regret it and end up shifting the blame to him when it's really my decision. I just really wanted this relationship to work out as well.
I do long distance with my girlfriend, works just fine.

As I said already, if your relationship can't last distance then it isn't meant to be in the first place. If you have such little faith that your relationship couldn't last distance, it would be all the dumber to throw away grad school for something that's not going to last either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 11:21 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Quote:
Made this thread a while back: //www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ver-break.html

I tried no contact with him but he showed up and I couldn't resist, I missed him. A lot. Anyhow, we are back together now and everything is great again but nothing has changed. I still have to move for grad school next April. We said we would just take it day by day and figure it out when the time is closer. Everyday I am falling for him more and everyday I feel like the best decision would be to go to grad school here in order to be with him, however, it's not my dream school - not even close. It's actually a safety school aka my third choice school which should be irrelevant since I got accepted into my first choice. He travels all over the country with his job, however, I can't do a relationship where I can only see my bf once or twice a month. He really wants to make it work and we're trying to drag this out for as long as we can. I don't know what to do. It's killing me to think I have to go through the break-up thing again. My career means everything to me, but no guy has ever made me feel this way before.

Some insight would help. Thanks!

Career is important. If you don't have a job, you don't eat. If you don't have a good job, there are several things you can't do. Don't do like so many young women do and think you will find a guy to support you, most of the time that doesn't end like you think it will. Maybe no guy has made you feel like this guy does, but take if from me, there are probably many guys around that would be able to make you feel that way. Don't choose one particular school because it's your 'dream school', choose it because it is the best school for you, then stick with your choice and don't let anything change your mind. When you are young, you have lots of time to do everything right the first time. When you make mistakes in your life, you end up paying for them the rest of your life. Use your head, not your heart, do what is best for you.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:29 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Made this thread a while back: //www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ver-break.html

I tried no contact with him but he showed up and I couldn't resist, I missed him. A lot. Anyhow, we are back together now and everything is great again but nothing has changed. I still have to move for grad school next April. We said we would just take it day by day and figure it out when the time is closer. Everyday I am falling for him more and everyday I feel like the best decision would be to go to grad school here in order to be with him, however, it's not my dream school - not even close. It's actually a safety school aka my third choice school which should be irrelevant since I got accepted into my first choice. He travels all over the country with his job, however, I can't do a relationship where I can only see my bf once or twice a month. He really wants to make it work and we're trying to drag this out for as long as we can. I don't know what to do. It's killing me to think I have to go through the break-up thing again. My career means everything to me, but no guy has ever made me feel this way before.

Some insight would help. Thanks!
If the bolded statement were actually true you would not even consider moving to a different grad school for some random guy you have dated for 2 months no matter how he makes you feel.

So admit that your career is not as important as some guy and quit taking the spot in grad school that someone else who will appreciate the opportunity that you are about to toss in the trash for a guy.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:44 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Career is important. If you don't have a job, you don't eat. If you don't have a good job, there are several things you can't do. Don't do like so many young women do and think you will find a guy to support you, most of the time that doesn't end like you think it will. Maybe no guy has made you feel like this guy does, but take if from me, there are probably many guys around that would be able to make you feel that way. Don't choose one particular school because it's your 'dream school', choose it because it is the best school for you, then stick with your choice and don't let anything change your mind. When you are young, you have lots of time to do everything right the first time. When you make mistakes in your life, you end up paying for them the rest of your life. Use your head, not your heart, do what is best for you.
Wise.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Do not give up school for a dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships