Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:11 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,578,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
Do tell, we need to know more!
An Irish Catholic small town daughter of a fireman falls for a big ciy jewish boy, son of a VERY wealthy doctor.He brings her home to his parents and announces his intention of marriage. World War III errupts in his family. He must choose between them or her. She walked away rather then being the cause of such pain and turmoil. She marries another. He never marries. The End.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 10:28 AM

10,603 posts, read 11,632,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
An Irish Catholic small town daughter of a fireman falls for a big ciy jewish boy, son of a VERY wealthy doctor.He brings her home to his parents and announces his intention of marriage. World War III errupts in his family. He must choose between them or her. She walked away rather then being the cause of such pain and turmoil. She marries another. He never marries. The End.

how tragic, but are you happy, and if you are that's all that matters

Old 12-28-2007, 10:57 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,578,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
how tragic, but are you happy, and if you are that's all that matters
thank you. I am still haunted by the ghost of "what if".

Old 12-28-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
thank you. I am still haunted by the ghost of "what if".
That is why I started this thread, so that everyone who has ever experienced a first love and still remembers it to this day, regardless of how many years it's been, can get it out of your system by talking about it, and put the ghosts to rest, I have very fond memories of some of my past loves, but you never forget your first, but now I can put it to rest and we are still friends

Old 12-28-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
These posts are fun. If we want to broaden it to "past loves" then my answers will change. I think there are cases where you can restart a past relationship. Not all relationships end because they've run their course - sometimes the timing, geography, etc., were just off and at a later date, who knows.
please do elaborate, I'm sure that this could be very interesting.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:15 AM

388 posts, read 326,889 times
When I think of my first love, I wonder how much weight she's gained by now.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:20 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,775,373 times
One of my "true loves" recently died – it was heartbreaking to me. He was living in Europe – a musician – had a daughter with a woman there, the same year I had a daughter with my ex-husband. We kept in touch with each other's lives through friends. We had been together and in love during our twenties.

Then I got a call in September saying he died suddenly in Amsterdam – he was only 60. I had just been going through his old letters a few weeks before I heard about his death – about the same time that he died. I read each letter, and wistfully sobbed at what might have been had we stayed together. It was my fault because he had moved west, and I stayed east – I regretted it later. Then I discovered that the night I was going through the old letters was when he died -- maybe his spirit had touched me to read about our past. I received lots of photos from a friend who attended the memorial, and have those to keep.

He was a great guy, a fun man, very upbeat, and I miss him. I am grateful for the time we did have together because those memories still seem so real and vivid, and time does not diminish such feelings of love. I am sure he is making the other angels laugh!

Old 12-28-2007, 11:29 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,989,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
please do elaborate, I'm sure that this could be very interesting.
first, nanannie, that's an amazing story.

ditto: lol

I do go through phases where I start thinking about past relationships and wonder if they could be re-ignited. Then a few weeks later I can't even imagine that I would think about that person. There was just one person when I was living overseas (he was Canadian, this was in Europe) and we both set off each other's shy gene or something. We spent, like, 6 months going to where the other person would be, walking up, saying two words, and then running in the opposite direction. My friends were going to kill me they were so frustrated! Then one day, a month before I was supposed to return to the US, I dropped a note in his mailbox telling him I was sorry nothing had ever worked out between us. A few hours later I was downtown shopping and he was running after me - he had been looking for me throughout the entire city - he ran up, said "I got your note". But then ... we just couldn't do the Hollywood thing, I bumped into a friend, he sort of walked off and said shyly "I'll ... see you later ..." ... ugh.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
One of my "true loves" recently died – it was heartbreaking to me. He was living in Europe – a musician – had a daughter with a woman there, the same year I had a daughter with my ex-husband. We kept in touch with each other's lives through friends. We had been together and in love during our twenties.

Then I got a call in September saying he died suddenly in Amsterdam – he was only 60. I had just been going through his old letters a few weeks before I heard about his death – about the same time that he died. I read each letter, and wistfully sobbed at what might have been had we stayed together. It was my fault because he had moved west, and I stayed east – I regretted it later. Then I discovered that the night I was going through the old letters was when he died -- maybe his spirit had touched me to read about our past. I received lots of photos from a friend who attended the memorial, and have those to keep.

He was a great guy, a fun man, very upbeat, and I miss him. I am grateful for the time we did have together because those memories still seem so real and vivid, and time does not diminish such feelings of love. I am sure he is making the other angels laugh!

Now that bought a tear to this Old Romantics eye,it's good to have such memories,they will be with you forever.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
first, nanannie, that's an amazing story.

ditto: lol

I do go through phases where I start thinking about past relationships and wonder if they could be re-ignited. Then a few weeks later I can't even imagine that I would think about that person. There was just one person when I was living overseas (he was Canadian, this was in Europe) and we both set off each other's shy gene or something. We spent, like, 6 months going to where the other person would be, walking up, saying two words, and then running in the opposite direction. My friends were going to kill me they were so frustrated! Then one day, a month before I was supposed to return to the US, I dropped a note in his mailbox telling him I was sorry nothing had ever worked out between us. A few hours later I was downtown shopping and he was running after me - he had been looking for me throughout the entire city - he ran up, said "I got your note". But then ... we just couldn't do the Hollywood thing, I bumped into a friend, he sort of walked off and said shyly "I'll ... see you later ..." ... ugh.

WOW, Bummer, love lost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships