Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:54 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,619,535 times

Advertisements

So, I don't want a repeat of what happened two weeks ago with the person freaking out. I've been talking to someone for several weeks and I'm just not interested. How do you reject someone politely? "I'm sorry, I'm just not interested."

My thing is, I sort of have this thing for someone else, but he lives in New York (near Buffalo). I like him, but I know he's not looking either (he's 14 years older than me and has been burned so many times before and I know lately I haven't been in the right frame of mind either), but it's odd, I like this other person but I want to be friends for now because I'm just unsure about things myself. I like talking to the New Yorker and I like the way he makes me feel, even if we're only friends. This other person, not so much. I just hate hurting feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 07:58 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,801,136 times
Honesty is best. Just say, I'm sorry, but I don't feel we are a match/I am not in the right frame of mind for a relationship (or whatever the main reason is). It might hurt, but the truth is always best. Don't worry about staying friends, leave that up to the guy--he might want to distance himself and you should give him that out. It sucks to do, I know, but you have to do it and the sooner the better if you know for sure you aren't interested.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:00 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,439 times
funny how that works

the guy in NY that your smitten by, how would you like him (the least hurtful way) to tell YOU if the situation was you being the rejectee

then do the same thing with the dude youre not feeling

Old 09-16-2014, 08:01 PM

Yeah, this other guy (the non-New Yorker) is a bit creepy. I don't like the vibe I'm getting. He's pushy and seems a bit off.

The New Yorker and I agreed to be friends and get to know each other more. I like the vibe from him because he doesn't push things like the other. The New Yorker knows the stress I've been under lately among some other things. Of course, I don't bombard the New Yorker.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
funny how that works

the guy in NY that your smitten by, how would you like him (the least hurtful way) to tell YOU if the situation was you being the rejectee

then do the same thing with the dude youre not feeling
Actually, the New York guy pretty much did say, "I'm not looking for a girlfriend right now. I am not in the position for one and I'm really hurt." I understand that, believe me I do. He's a good friend and I don't want to overwhelm him. But, at the stage I'm in right now... I'm not ready myself.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
when does innocent inquiry become harrassment? that would depend on the woman and whether she likes it or not.
to get down to it--- all interest expressed towards women is potentially inappropriate unless of course she likes it.
the old fashioned way of getting around this was to invite her to a church social. such an invitation was an ovature that could not be misconstrued as vulgar.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:06 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
So, I don't want a repeat of what happened two weeks ago with the person freaking out. I've been talking to someone for several weeks and I'm just not interested. How do you reject someone politely? "I'm sorry, I'm just not interested."

My thing is, I sort of have this thing for someone else, but he lives in New York (near Buffalo). I like him, but I know he's not looking either (he's 14 years older than me and has been burned so many times before and I know lately I haven't been in the right frame of mind either), but it's odd, I like this other person but I want to be friends for now because I'm just unsure about things myself. I like talking to the New Yorker and I like the way he makes me feel, even if we're only friends. This other person, not so much. I just hate hurting feelings.

Jesse,

You cannot prevent hurt feelings and it is best to just be honest and tell them that you are not ready for any sort of romantic relationship right now.

You have to do what is right for you first and their feelings may be hurt however, they should be able to continue to be friends and find someone else or just find someone else. Either way that is their choice and you cannot help how others feel.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Jesse,

You cannot prevent hurt feelings and it is best to just be honest and tell them that you are not ready for any sort of romantic relationship right now.

You have to do what is right for you first and their feelings may be hurt however, they should be able to continue to be friends and find someone else or just find someone else. Either way that is their choice and you cannot help how others feel.
That's true. I'm thinking of my safety too and my safety is #1 priority.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:10 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,533 times
Honesty is always best. I definitely do not like to be strung along. If a woman is not feeling it I prefer she just be up front about it.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,332,620 times
rejection is never nice no matter hows it done; just make it clear, politely or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships