Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 04:41 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,664 times

Advertisements

You back away and live your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 05:15 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch718 View Post
Okay. You're right.
So what should I do? Feelings don't change on command.
How do I DEAL with this problem? Seeing her will only put salt on the wound.
Clearly you do need to stop spending time around the two of them. That just isn't working for you.

You might be able to transfer your feelings, like to Scarlett Johansson or something like that. I once, over a decade ago, was completely crushed by someone who resembled a sort of B-list actor. I went out and rented pretty much every film this actor had ever made and more or less made the switch. It wasn't a perfect solution, but it helped a little bit in a difficult situation.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:27 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
I think it would be really healthy for you to find something to keep you occupied. Volunteer work? some sports team? after school activities? clubs?

What you are doing is not healthy. You are not in love (despite what you think) you are obsessed. Plus you are taking it to the point where you want your brother to suffer because of some woman you think you love who you really don't know.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:09 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Quote:
I think it's because she had shown me the female companionship/affection I've been longing for through my teenage years.
Though she is physically attractive, I have no lust for this woman.
If you have no lust for her, what is the problem? I have to suspect that you indeed are needing some feminine closeness (totally normal) and she is someone you'd like to be close with. Why not ask her if she'd like to go out with just you sometime, shopping, out to lunch, go see a chick flick, that sort of thing? Also, do you have female friends/relatives you can start spending more time with? That may alleviate some of the stress you are feeling.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:19 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
I think it's because she had shown me the female companionship/affection I've been longing for through my teenage years.
Though she is physically attractive, I have no lust for this woman.
Hmmm... okay, you enjoy her company. What about channeling this affection for her into something more family-like? What about thinking about her as your big sister instead? After all, if your brother should marry her, she would then be family to you.

I adore my brother-in-law. He's a really great guy, but I have always had only a sisterly affection for him. And I've always had many good platonic male friends all of my life. Since I only have sisters, these guys are like the brothers that I never had.

And it's good to feel love for others, but realize that there are many kinds of love. And it's okay to have close platonic female friends.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:05 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,529 times
I agree with miu, that would be ideal, to sort of transform your feelings for her.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:38 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,946 times
Keep Them Bottled!!!!

Old 12-27-2007, 10:27 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
Ok, I know y'all here mean well, but it is never healthy to keep feelings bottled up. And I don't mean he needs to tell his brother and the girlfriend all his deep feelings, but they have to come out somewhere.

I just think getting involved in an activity to focus his energies elsewhere is the best thing he can do.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:22 AM

151 posts, read 157,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
I think it would be really healthy for you to find something to keep you occupied. Volunteer work? some sports team? after school activities? clubs?

What you are doing is not healthy. You are not in love (despite what you think) you are obsessed. Plus you are taking it to the point where you want your brother to suffer because of some woman you think you love who you really don't know.
There's only so much I can do before I just lay down at night and have the thoughts come back to me.
I tried keeping my mind off, but all that results is a deep, sinking feeling when she cycles through again.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:26 AM

151 posts, read 157,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
If you have no lust for her, what is the problem? I have to suspect that you indeed are needing some feminine closeness (totally normal) and she is someone you'd like to be close with. Why not ask her if she'd like to go out with just you sometime, shopping, out to lunch, go see a chick flick, that sort of thing? Also, do you have female friends/relatives you can start spending more time with? That may alleviate some of the stress you are feeling.
I think I just want her to love and care about me in the sense that I currently do about her.
Going out with her without my brother will only descend me deeper into my feelings.
And no, I don't have many female relatives. Not living here anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships