Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:01 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,917,714 times

Advertisements

Someone please explain this to me!

Once again I've met a guy who showed up with 3 day stubble. Not a beard, or mustache, but just stubble all down his neck and scattered across the cheeks. Nice enough guy, but he exaggerated his hobbies and career as well, so he is out of luck. He really liked me, too.

If you have 3 day stubble, you probably shaved in the last week or so. Why didn't you shave before coming out to meet me?

Do guys really think this is a cool fashion?

Are they just clueless about how bad it looks?

Is it a shield that says: Deep down I need someone to take care of me. OR Please don't expect much of me because I 'm not capable of much?

I am THIS CLOSE to putting one of those Don't Contact Me if you Can't Groom Your Own Facial Hair messages on my profile.

Sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 11:22 AM

158 posts, read 144,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

Once again I've met a guy who showed up with 3 day stubble. Not a beard, or mustache, but just stubble all down his neck and scattered across the cheeks. Nice enough guy, but he exaggerated his hobbies and career as well, so he is out of luck. He really liked me, too.

If you have 3 day stubble, you probably shaved in the last week or so. Why didn't you shave before coming out to meet me?

Are they just clueless about how bad it looks?

Is it a shield that says: Deep down I need someone to take care of me. OR Please don't expect much of me because I 'm not capable of much?

I am THIS CLOSE to putting one of those Don't Contact Me if you Can't Groom Your Own Facial Hair messages on my profile.

Sheesh.
Personally no I don't think it is a cool fashion statement. I can probably get away with shaving every other day. A little longer and it is quite noticeable on me because I am much grayer in my chin area compared to even my sides.

One of my friends though has pseudofolliculitis and he can only tolerate shaving once a week or so. He doesn't want a beard. He has a nice wife though so you'll never encounter him on OLD.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:24 AM

3,428 posts, read 3,355,869 times
There was once a time when unshaven meant being a bum. Personally for me, I can't go more than two days without a shave. From your description, I think maybe you could do better.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:31 AM

16,959 posts, read 17,383,951 times
I'll come to a date with a 5oclock shadow, blue jeans, plain tshirt and converse; I really dont care.

If she doesn't like it...well, I really dont care, Lol

Old 09-20-2014, 11:31 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,481,935 times
I actually met a guy online once who was stubbly right before we met up, and he told me specifically that he would be seeing me when he was clean shaven because he didn't want to give me face rash. That was so sexy - he remembered that I mentioned my skin's sensitivity and he was confident enough that we'd be kissing when we met.

Also went out with a guy who arrived to our first date clean shaven, but whose stubble grew in by the early morning hours so did give my cheeks and lips a bit of abrasion.

I don't mind the look of stubble, if it's right it actually enhances his masculinity.

Major turn-off for me - stubble anywhere else than the face, i.e. chest, stomach, arms, back, legs, and heaven forbid - down there. Gross!

Old 09-20-2014, 11:35 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,210,432 times
Wow, it seems that he really missed out on someone wonderful and not really judgmental........

Old 09-20-2014, 11:41 AM

17,869 posts, read 21,028,092 times
I'm sorry that the people you have a first date with aren't doing exactly what you prefer?

You don't come off as a nice person with your OP either, being honest here.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:51 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,459,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I'll come to a date with a 5oclock shadow, blue jeans, plain tshirt and converse; I really dont care.

If she doesn't like it...well, I really dont care, Lol

Yep.

I CAN'T shave with a razor, because it gives me a rash and in grown hairs. The absolute best any one is getting out of me is stubble, because I shave with my head shaver.

Or wait.........is that it? My sensitive skin?

Nah, must be one of the following:

I think it's a cool fashion.

I'm clueless about how bad it looks.

And, most importantly: I'm an insecure little man child, putting up a shield that says: Deep down I need someone to play mommy and take care of me. And please don't expect much of me because I'm not capable of much.

Maybe you should put that notice on your profile. Make sure you add on the end of it:

Don't contact me if you can't groom your own facial hair, specifically because I'm going to judge the s*it out of you.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:51 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,175,566 times
You mean the George Michael look?

(http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000..._1_xlarge.jpeg)

or Bono look?

(http://dearbono.com/yahoo_site_admin...041434_std.jpg)

Or Hugh Jackman look?

(http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-6y_R-JNZ7b...%2BJackman.jpg)

Old 09-20-2014, 11:52 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,215,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
It does look good on some guys. Maybe 25% of men look good with the stubble look. I am not one of them. Depends on the guy's hair/skin color combination. If there were no demand for it, there would be no supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships