Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 08:26 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,107,489 times

Advertisements

I had an epiphany this morning. Ever since my divorce decades ago, every man that has come into my life (in real life and online) has had me as his "Go-To Girl". I am the one he spends time with until someone better comes along.

I am the one who listens to him. I listen to his troubles and give him new ways to think of issues. I tell him what a good man he is. I boost him up. I give him confidence. Confidence to look for someone new apparently.

Now how do I recognize him ? Or how do I stop doing what I'm doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 08:29 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,602,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I had an epiphany this morning. Ever since my divorce decades ago, every man that has come into my life (in real life and online) has had me as his "Go-To Girl". I am the one he spends time with until someone better comes along.

I am the one who listens to him. I listen to his troubles and give him new ways to think of issues. I tell him what a good man he is. I boost him up. I give him confidence. Confidence to look for someone new apparently.

1. Are you romantically interested in these men?
2. Do you make it clear that your intentions are a relationship? Do you flirt?
3. Where are you finding these men?

Old 09-23-2014, 08:32 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,013,029 times
It is not easy...to recognize a man so quickly but you can listen to your own senses like click sens. That is what I do.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:35 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
The key to not being taken for granted is to screen your men better so that you surround yourself with people who appreciate you for who you are, versus what you can do for them. And be honest with yourself about the reciprocity of your relationships. It's fine to be the listening ear/crying shoulder as needed with people. But do you get that same treatment back? Or is it one-sided? If you are constantly the one propping up others, and not being treated with equal consideration by them when you are in need of the same thing, that's very noteworthy. Give and take.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:36 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
This is all about you and what you can do to change. Once you change, then you won't attract or be attracted to this type any longer.

You sound too sympathetic, too willing to devote your time to these men and their problems. You may believe you're being a good person by doing this, but you're putting yourself in the position of doormat. You also likely have that saver-rescuer issue going on, believing you hold the key to fixing other people's problems. Maybe you suffer from a bit of low self-esteem and helping others makes you feel better, in the moment. I say all this not in judgment but that I used to be similar to this myself when I was younger.

The first step is being conscious of your role in all of this, which you are now coming to be. I would read as much as I can on the topic, and see what speaks to you. While I don't care for the term "White Knight" there is a good article in Psychology Today that may be a good starting point for you. Rescuing Yourself from Your Need to Rescue Others | Psychology Today

Old 09-23-2014, 08:38 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Yep. You can't be somebody else's cheerleader all the time. That's not what being in a reciprocal relationship is all about.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:23 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
Quote:

This sounds like a Taylor Swift video dilemma.

Hang in there. Someone will appreciate your support.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:57 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:

I just watched a Mary Tyler Moore episode on this, you just gotta say no and stick up for yourself

Old 09-23-2014, 10:30 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I just watched a Mary Tyler Moore episode on this, you just gotta say no and stick up for yourself
Ah, the wisdom of Mary Tyler Moore: the harder you are to get, the more you are worth.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:37 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,252,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Ah, the wisdom of Mary Tyler Moore: the harder you are to get, the more you are worth.
Hey, Mary Richards is awesome!

Back on topic: I'm sure you'll get (and already have gotten) some great advice in here, meta. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships