Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:50 PM

248 posts, read 259,574 times

Advertisements

How is a guy supposed to meet girls after college? I'm 22 and graduated in May; I have a job, but I do Technology/Engineering so it's pretty much all guys. I had a pretty serious gf in college but we broke up at the beginning of the year and I haven't dated anyone since..
Any tips or advice guys? Please don't say online dating. I tried okcupid for a little bit but the experience was pretty crappy and I connect with people better in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 12:53 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
I met people at parties, at shows, through friends, at bars, at a bus stop, at beer festivals, and through OLD.

That's me.

Edit: Forgot, alumni functions and sports groups.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:54 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smisk View Post
How is a guy supposed to meet girls after college? I'm 22 and graduated in May; I have a job, but I do Technology/Engineering so it's pretty much all guys. I had a pretty serious gf in college but we broke up at the beginning of the year and I haven't dated anyone since..
Any tips or advice guys? Please don't say online dating. I tried okcupid for a little bit but the experience was pretty crappy and I connect with people better in real life.
Given your last two sentences, I'd suggest finding some dating/singles Meetup groups. That'd probably be your best option, because then you know the people who attend are there for the same reason you are. An even more organic option would be to join other various organizations around town, maybe some volunteering. But there's no guarantee at those places that you'll find other single people. Co-ed sports teams may work. Outside of OLD though, it seems like every girl I meet who I like is in some kind of relationship or just got out of a relationship and has a ton of baggage.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:55 PM

545 posts, read 632,959 times
Move to a big urban city where you can meet people everywhere at all times. That or move to silicon valley where you are more likely to click with the girls.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:55 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,408,005 times
Buy a dog, visit a dog park. What are your hobbies? Do you ride bikes? Do you have a garden?

What do you do with your life when you aren't dating, and you aren't sitting at the house getting fat?

Do the things that fulfill you. You will meet women doing those same things also.

Online Dating is an option for meeting random women, be prepared for a rollercoaster ride of emotions though.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:00 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,212,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
be prepared for a rollercoaster ride of emotions though.
Couldn't help but think of this:

Old 10-23-2014, 01:02 PM

248 posts, read 259,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I met people at parties, at shows, through friends, at bars, at a bus stop, at beer festivals, and through OLD.

That's me.

Edit: Forgot, alumni functions and sports groups.
Good ideas. I go to bars pretty often but usually with friends and I don't really talk to women there.

As far as hobbies I like playing bass, video games,going to the gym, jogging etc.
Not the most social stuff in the world unfortunately. I'll have to look into clubs in my area.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:03 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,408,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
Couldn't help but think of this:
LOL, there you go, learn to play the Jazz flute Picks up hot women all the time.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:05 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,007,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smisk View Post
Good ideas. I go to bars pretty often but usually with friends and I don't really talk to women there.

As far as hobbies I like playing bass, video games,going to the gym, jogging etc.
Not the most social stuff in the world unfortunately. I'll have to look into clubs in my area.

Shoot dude, get in a band!

And talk to women, it helps.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:09 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,867,926 times
The standard advice, as others have already said, is to follow your hobby interests or try new ones. Take a photog class, a Chi Gong class at the gym or wherever. If you like to garden or grow your own food, see if your community has communal garden plots--great way to meet women. Co-ed sports leagues or singles hiking clubs. Political action groups. Volunteer at your local food co-op--popular with women. Go to the outdoor music fests and art fairs. If you like art, do your town's monthly gallery-hopping night, the art walk. Opening night at museum shows. Concerts. The list is endless. For that matter, the damn grocery store. Women are everywhere, man! The catch is, in order to meet 'em, you have to actually talk to 'em. But it doesn't take much, in some cases. Just put yourself out there.

And yeah, music is a great angle! Join a group. There's always somebody who needs a bass. If you don't know anyone, check with the music dept. at your local college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships