Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 07:01 AM

10 posts, read 8,138 times

Advertisements

So here is my story. I was divorced in 2011 and started seeing this girl that I worked with soon after. I was 35, she was 25. I fell hard for this girl, not that my divorce was messy, I just had feelings that I hadn't felt in a long time. The hard part was that my family never really accepted her into the family, she was outspoken and bold, nothing like my ex, and I don't think they ever got that. Our relationship was amazing for the first year, after that, things got a little rocky. She was having a hard time with my family and thinking that I wasn't standing up for her. She also never accepted the fact that I remained friendly with my ex, we have a teenage daughter together and actually have communicated better divorced than married. Moving on, we were to be married on Oct. 4th, on Labor Day weekend I discovered that she had been cheating on me with a guy we both work with for at least a month. Needless to say the wedding was off and she moved out of my place about a week later. I'm just heartbroken about this whole thing, not only did I lose the love of my life, but she had two boys 5 and 8 that I had pretty much taken in as my own. I now have to see both of them at work and it has sucked, I have a great job with great benefits, so I kinda just have to suck it up. They are a couple now and are "in love", it just baffles me how someone could do that. There were red flags that I know I should have seen through our relationship, texting other guys, even a couple pictures, but I was blinded by the love I felt for her and hoped she would change. I know that I'm probably better off and thank god I found this out before the wedding and not after, but it just hurts. One minute I am angry and want to tear things apart and the next missing her and the kids crying. It's definitely a feeling I don't wish on my worst enemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 07:07 AM

132 posts, read 181,933 times
Glad you found out before you married her. I think a rule to live by is never poop in your own nest. Dating a co-worker is always a risky deal as you have found out. Good lukc in the future.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:15 AM

706 posts, read 1,043,164 times
There were red flags that I know I should have seen through our relationship, texting other guys, even a couple pictures, but I was blinded by the love I felt for her and hoped she would change

Dude, it seems like you were into this girl more than she was into you. Move on! Why don't you treat yourself to a solo vacation to somewhere exotic? Hawaii, Rio de Janeiro, Australia, etc. Go have a fling!

Old 09-24-2014, 07:27 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,447,076 times
I had a similar experience back when I was in my twenties, though she wasn't cheating but just broke up. There were red flags too, and I ignored most of them. We were within a few months of the wedding too. Also, I had grown close to her daughter and accepted her as my own. The only advice I can give is to allow yourself enough time to get over it. It took me quite a while. In the future, definitely don't ignore those red flags, it'll save you a lot of grief.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:08 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,013,845 times
Sorry to hear your story. I think you dodged a bullet. Also, if you would have married her, you would have to support 3 children, that's quite a burden!

I had to do the math - wow, why are y'all having so many children so early on??? Which state are you living in?

Old 09-24-2014, 08:15 AM

880 posts, read 1,253,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb6044 View Post
I was blinded by the love

You answered your own question. Doesn't get a long with your family, 10 years younger, texting and sending pictures to other guys? Whatever you are feeling now will pass, it always does.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:17 AM

I know deep down that I surely dodged a bullet. Just stings the way it all went down for sure. I'm from NH, maybe I should have seen that as another red flag, two kids from two dads early on in life. One of many that I'm sure I missed. I will also NEVER date another co-worker, when things go bad, no place to hide. Live and learn I guess.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:18 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,652,264 times
Two kids (and older ones, at that) at 25 would have been among the big old red flags, to me.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:19 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,652,264 times
Out of curiosity, what's your line of work, and what types of positions do you, the woman, and the new guy all hold?

Old 09-24-2014, 08:26 AM

We all work in a shop that makes optical products, laser sights, night vision, things like that. I work in the engineering dept., she works in customer service and he runs CNC Machines. The worst part is that I have to interact with him as part of engineering, makes work difficult. No one here at work knows the circumstances, just that our wedding is off and we are split. I know it's just a matter of time, but I know I am not really looking forward to that day.The company is small, around 100 people, and things travel fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships