Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:44 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
What a runaway ego, the only people who should be called Doc are MD's.
Anyone who has put forth the time, effort, energy, and money to earn their doctorate, a PhD, has earned the right to be called "Doctor" because they are one.

usually those who say "only MDs are doctors" don't realize that there are a lot of other professions that also go by doctor, as they have earned that through their study, and licensing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 09:20 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
I call my mother-in-law "Mamachka" or "Mamoola" but just call my father-in-law Boris.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:25 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Anyone who has put forth the time, effort, energy, and money to earn their doctorate, a PhD, has earned the right to be called "Doctor" because they are one.

usually those who say "only MDs are doctors" don't realize that there are a lot of other professions that also go by doctor, as they have earned that through their study, and licensing.
In a school, Dr. is a common enough term, and rightly so. Socially, though, Dr. usually refers to a medical doctor. People don't say, "And this is my friend, John Smith, B.A. John, please meet Kate Jones, M.F.A." And if someone is injured and a person yells, "Is there a doctor in the house?" nobody is expecting anoyone to step forward and say, "Yes, I got my Ph.D in Economics at Dartmouth."

Old 11-09-2009, 09:38 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
When I was there, I never called my MIL "mom" she is not my mother. She annoyed me...

Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 AM

I call my father-in-law "Dad" and his wife, my husband's stepmother, by her name. That's what her stepchildren call her, so I just echo them. My husband's mother is "Mom." He calls my parents "Mom" and "Dad," too, and my grandparents are "Grandma" and "Grandpa."

Old 11-09-2009, 10:38 AM

247 posts, read 688,057 times
Both my wife and I call our own parents as well as our in-laws mom and dad. No one has any issue.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:05 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
In a school, Dr. is a common enough term, and rightly so. Socially, though, Dr. usually refers to a medical doctor. People don't say, "And this is my friend, John Smith, B.A. John, please meet Kate Jones, M.F.A." And if someone is injured and a person yells, "Is there a doctor in the house?" nobody is expecting anoyone to step forward and say, "Yes, I got my Ph.D in Economics at Dartmouth."
it's not limited to "academia" at all
if people assume medical doctor in "social settings" then it simply reflects their own limited mindset.

there are doctors of divinity. there are doctors of oriental medicine. Psychologists working in hospitals are doctors. There are doctors of osteopathy. The list goes on and on.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it's not limited to "academia" at all
if people assume medical doctor in "social settings" then it simply reflects their own limited mindset.

there are doctors of divinity. there are doctors of oriental medicine. Psychologists working in hospitals are doctors. There are doctors of osteopathy. The list goes on and on.
I understand, but it's still not socially prevalent to use Dr. unless the person is a medical doctor (although not just an MD). You're right about doctorates of religious studies; the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King is usually titled so. However, a good friend of mine just got her juris doctorate, and I've worked with dozens of lawyers. None of them refer to themselves as Dr. So-and-so. Anyway, I know it's a big deal for people who spent a lot of time and money getting their degrees, and that some of them get upset about not being recognized in the manner they prefer. If someone corrects me and says, "Oh, it's DOCTOR Smith," I will certainly call him that. I won't ask him what he's a doctor of; I'm sure he has to answer that several times a day already. "No, I'm not a physician. I am a doctor of letters."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships