Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 11:02 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,900,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Plus she's good with a riding crop.
Which can be a major plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 12:20 PM

371 posts, read 896,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Good, for a minute I thought this was a thread about Sarah Jessica Parker.
I was thinking Nancy Kerrigan.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:38 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,900,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
I was thinking Nancy Kerrigan.
Hey Nancy, you wanna go clubbing?

Horses or livestock it becomes more than a hobby. It becomes a way of life or an obsession in some cases. If you are prepared and willing to embrace it, have at it.

It is no different other pursuits. Cars, or fishing, anything else. They can tie up a lot of time and money to fuel their pursuits. Nothing wrong with it, IMO.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:30 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,035,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffin_Ready View Post
Horse Chick!

Awesome name.

Having lived in Texas for several years I have dated a couple women who either owned horses or just loved them and rode as often as they could. One of them lived on a ranch and actually gave riding lessons. So I guess she would qualify as a horse chick.
Overall, I would say that horse chicks are usually pretty level-headed; embrace traditional family-type values; tend to be politically conservative rather than liberal; tend to be beer or whiskey drinkers rather than wine; have a very low tolerance level for men who try to game them; and have a pretty strong streak of independence. They tend to like men who posess these same qualities, and even have an occasional affection for the "bad boy" type. But a lot of women originally began their fondness and attachment to horses when they were young girls, and this was always something to go back to--a sort of safe, reliable haven--when the romantic stuff went awry.
So don't expect a horse chick to put up with too much of your crapola: she just doesn't need it.
This is the closet and most accurate description, but not all are extremely conservative.

I am a horse chick.

The expense can be high. The responsibility is definitely demanding. It is a way of life, and you either get it or you don't.

Very independent, and don't put up with anyone's sh**. Reliable. Values. Empathy. Loving and caring. Level headed and make decisions based on logic.

I am only willing to embrace dating with someone that understands me for who I am and shares the traits I have in personality. And perfectly accepting of being single. Pretty ok with it, actually.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:02 PM

163 posts, read 248,581 times
I live in a rural part of the country and have dated 'horse chicks'. They are as normal as anyone else with a hobby they are passionate about.

However, like some previous posters pointed out, owning/maintaining horses costs a lot of $$. My uncle married a women who owns a horse and the marriage is a little rocky due to the high costs of owning a horse.

If you personally are not interested in owning horses then I would not get any more serious than dating. There is a lot to learn from a country girl and some good times to be had.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:30 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,061,376 times
6 pages and not one mention of Catherine the Great? Probably the person most into horses that ever existed. Or vice-versa.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,433,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Except when they're true. Which they often are, at least to some extent. Oh wait: never mind those?

I dated a "horse chick" for awhile, assuming OP refers to someone heavily involved in equestrian activities. I had several highly-relevant takeaways from the experience:

- Expense. Lots of it. Unless there is serious money in the family, as-in multi millionaires living on estates, this will become relevant to the relationship. Costs are actually absurdly high for all of it, and continuing to rise like everything else actually worthwhile in the United States. Land, animals, feed, time, medical bills, on and on. Helps to have full-time staff onsite to take care of the details. Don't have that? Then it's your time.

- Commitment. The lady I knew ran a drill team and a rescue, plus maintained a professional career (Web design). Oh, and was raising a daughter part-time. There were no other hobbies. There couldn't be, there aren't enough hours in the day.

- Dealing with excessive drama. Running a drill team, or rescue, or being a "single mom," or a professional woman trying to juggle the previous (did I mention "expense?") led to enormous drama with all of the previous. Some, relevant. Most, contrived. Managing all of it? Nuts!

- If you're a man, best be a cowboy or professional equestrian manager. I am neither. There is very little time for a guy who "isn't" the previous, since virtually all of her interests revolve around...you guessed it...the care and feeding of (usually multiple) animals, rain or shine, dawn and dusk and various times in-between.

It is what it is.

Most "cowboys" I've met haven't been too impressive and cause more trouble for the women than they solve, but 1,001 Country Music songs have already been written about that. I'd simply call the vast majority "dirty varmints" and be done with it. Reap what you sow, however.
That was me when I was younger.

I raised and show AQHA horses......mostly foals.

They were all I thought about......I was not a good girl friend to date at all.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:53 AM

9,086 posts, read 1,463,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Plus she's good with a riding crop.
Riding crop? Depends in the discipline, I have a whip

As for those who don't wanna spend mo ey in the horse, it's my hobby my furry creature I spend my money on her not the BF's money. Yes, she does take up a lot of my time but she is the best therapy ever amd I would be lost without riding.

If you can't deal with the competition of a horse then don't date a "horse chick". The horse will most likely come before you any day just sayin....

Old 10-13-2014, 07:17 AM

36,822 posts, read 31,102,861 times
I think the expense depends on what kind of horse chick you are. If your into showing and competition I suppose it can get expensive.

I just enjoy trail riding. Generally $300/yr. for hay (2-3 horses) thru the winter they are on pasture most of the year, trim (ride barefoot) every 2 months @ $30/horse, feed bill average thru the year $20/month, wormer $100/yr. Occasional vet bill and special med/products. I normally spend more on the dogs vet bill than the horses. So yeah it cost money but one doesn't have to be rich.

If you don't like horses and don't like to ride you probably shouldn't get to involved with a horse chick.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:20 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,768,211 times
I married one, first time around. I'm not a horse guy. I didn't mind her riding with her friends. It was the crazy horse dealers/traders, having to buy houses with barns and pastures, keeping the pastures properly irrigated and weed free and cleaning up after her horses that irked me. That hurt a lot more than being bitten and kicked and dealing with the angry neighbors when the horses jumped the fences and munched, urinated and defecated on their lawns.

I'm a sailor and of course i had a sailboat, so she has something to add, as well.

Don't marry a horse person or sailor unless you are one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships