Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:53 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

And keep in mind that ditto also started that annoying thread "Are most lesbians ugly"... consequently, I don't care for his attitude about women in general.

His posts makes me wish... that he would turn gay.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:59 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
While miu is tired of racial stereotyping threads, I feel rather tired of threads that don't take into account sense and sensibility. After all, you may get 5 posts to a thread, and 50 people reading it. And just because a thread is sitting in Relationships, it doesn't mean folks aren't reading it from as far away as Hawaii or Maine and getting offended, hurt or disgusted.

And furthermore, although some of the comments are intended as funny or humourous, one person's humour is often another person's pain.

Moderators in general are tolerant, but occasionally even we get discouraged by the negativity, or at least I do.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:01 AM

715 posts, read 2,087,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
OK, so I've never been in a relationship or slept with an Asian. Why? Well, I've thought about it, but they don't seem like my type. I've had friends of other races, even a few Asian (males), but never a female. Yes, Asians don't usually have much of a rear, but I've seen quite a few good-lookin' ones. Many Asians just seem so different from other races. I could never really hit it off with one.

These might be some of the reasons:

(Chinese, Japanese, Korean)

Materialistic
Selfish, Pushy
Shy, wont usually give you the eye
Quiet, keep to themselves - not very outgoing - try to "fit in" with groups
Usually stick together with the same race, sometimes mixing it up a bit

Perhaps some of the reasons above are why I've never become close with an Asian. I just wonder if I'm missing anything.
Hmm, being Filipino by ethenticity and part of the whole Asian thing. I cant really put myself in any of those categories. Filipinos tend to be more,

Hospitable.

Less Secular and more inclined to venture out of their own ethenticity.

Passive, i would say this is something that i dont like about us - them. but i guess this is the flipside of having such a warm and welcoming race, in general.

Speaking from my own personal experience, having grew up in London uk, we never had much of a big asian community and so for the most part, i was dating whites and had long term relationships with them.

I cant speak for all Filipinos much less for the whole Asian community, but there are those who are opposites from the stereotypes. They are out there, perhaps you have'nt exposed yourself too much to be noticed. No not naked lol, but go to their functions, go with a friend or something.

Filipinos have their "Barrio Fiestas" yearly carnivals where everyone is more than welcome to participae in celebrating Philippine culture. Places in downtown LA Cali have their Philippine, korean, china, towns. Perhaps if there was something going down in places like those in your part of the neighborhood, you, can go down there and check it out.

Ohh begging your pardon. Just to answer your question.. Its is really upto YOU.

I dont favour anyone over anyone else.

Last edited by GracieJJ; 12-30-2007 at 11:17 AM..

Old 12-30-2007, 11:03 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And keep in mind that ditto also started that annoying thread "Are most lesbians ugly"... consequently, I don't care for his attitude about women in general.

His posts makes me wish... that he would turn gay.
Well, this is where I am with you..

Old 12-30-2007, 11:05 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
While miu is tired of racial stereotyping threads, I feel rather tired of threads that don't take into account sense and sensibility. After all, you may get 5 posts to a thread, and 50 people reading it. And just because a thread is sitting in Relationships, it doesn't mean folks aren't reading it from as far away as Hawaii or Maine and getting offended, hurt or disgusted.

And furthermore, although some of the comments are intended as funny or humourous, one person's humour is often another person's pain.

Moderators in general are tolerant, but occasionally even we get discouraged by the negativity, or at least I do.
So very true.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:14 AM

715 posts, read 2,087,175 times
Quote:

Not meaning to crash this thread, but i dont like the stereotypes, especially when their down right demeaning and ive expressed my disgust more than once to a "Self Loathing" halfie Asian who always deem it entertaining to express the dirt on everything that is asian and along come mr mod giving me warnings for them. Not once have i swore, though it does have a personal undertone. But who wouldnt get upset? you only have to look in that thread called "All Europeans are Illegal" see how people have expressed their anger? well mine isnt any different and i get penalised because maybe im only the "One Voice" for the Asians??

Old 12-30-2007, 11:16 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:

So... instead, I should be trying to persuade ditto to date Asian women and making blanket statements listing their wonderful attributes?

And I agree with cinderobyn () that all people are different. It is completely incorrect to generalize by someone's skin color.

And speaking of offending other people reading this thread, Asians intensely dislike being lumped together as one large group of yellow skinned people with black hair. There are many nationalities involved and with rivalries between them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderobyn View Post
I have not been in any relationship with an Asian other than friends, patients, etc.

I don't think it is fair, though, really to stereotype them in that manner.

Everything you listed could be true of any given person, at any given time.

We don't know what we miss, because every person is a unique individial, with many qualities. Even different on different days.

Is it worth it? Is it worth it if you are white seeking a white companion? Black/black? White/black?

We will never know, because people are just that. People, no 2 alike.

jmho

Old 12-30-2007, 11:17 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,536,860 times
These recent thread topics isolating race and culture are offensive.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:21 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
This thread is temporarily closed until the Relationship Moderators can review it for content and appropriateness.

Several reports have indicated members displeasure with it as racist.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:23 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
These types of threads are becoming more prevalent (and wearisome to moderate!) While differing viewpoints are welcome on City-Data, these discussions usually lead nowhere. This is why I'm letting this thread stay closed.

But to address the OP, here are my thoughts: To assume that anyone with Asian features is not assimilated into American culture is erroneous. There are plenty of second and third generation Asians in this country, and they're as American as any "white bread" person! And to racially stereotype is to take us back to the days of World War II, when the Japanese were the hated enemy. Thank God that America is the world's melting pot, so anyone with an ounce of sense can see that people of all races and features should be judged on their individual attributes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships