Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:12 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,600,795 times

Advertisements

I think it's good to share "enough" but not too much.

Examples:

Too much = "I have slept with 21 men"
Enough = "I am not a virgin and have been in several long term relationships"

Too much = "I've never been on a single date"
Enough = "I'm a virgin and don't have any experience in relationships"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 09:29 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I always ask. If they don't talk about it that means they're hiding something.
I tell them all Im a virgin.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:37 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsEnvy View Post
Like...first date, second date, longer than that?

24 female and I have no relationship/sex experience. It really embarrasses me and I get nervous about having to explain it and be judged too early on! I had a first date with a guy the other week and that was the thing that I was most nervous about. It didn't come up in this instance, but yeah, just curious.
i personally dont really care if my ladies have past relationships or not. if they bring up the subject, i will explore it with them, but in the end i dont really care much about their past. i try to live in the now. the past doesnt matter, the future doesnt matter.

the reason i do this is to take the pressure off her. if she doesnt have to worry about what my reaction might be to something in her past, then she can relax and just be herself.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:56 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I think, the topic is unavoidable, whether its on the first or 6th date; you'll eventually have a clue of their past relationships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissycs View Post
It will come up naturally. It's never scripted. Usually it happens when the relationship is moving forward. If you are nervous, then go over in your head a response that you are comfortable with, so you're not stuck stammering and at a loss for words.
Agreed with these two.

For most adults, their previous relationships (or lack of) occupied a significant portion of their lives in the past. Particularly for those who are experienced...their prior relationships and the things they learned from them played a role in shaping them into who they are today. Part of getting to know people on a deep level is having some knowledge of their past. Sooner or later they'll share a funny story or memorable event or something that involved an ex-partner in some way.

Learning about someone's past relationships isn't (or shouldn't be) much different than learning about many other things about him or her. He will likely bring it up naturally on his own timetable once he feels comfortable doing so. You don't want to be pushy or too forward when getting to know someone b/c that may make him or her withdraw.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:35 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I find this information very relevant. Maybe not for a 24 year old, but if you are older, it is. A guy who is 40 and never had a relationship longer than 4 months, there clearly is something wrong. Or if he says ALL gfs cheated on him. Or if he says all his ex gfs hate him ... RED FLAG.

OP, I would just tell the guy, you have been so busy with school or building your career, you haven't been seriously dating so far. That should be enough as an explanation.
That's your choice. When I'm with someone I share things that I am comfortable talking about. I can honestly say I have only had one woman grill me about past relationships and needless to say I was not with her long. I have always lived my life in the present, not the past. People change and dwelling on the past is not healthy.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:36 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i personally dont really care if my ladies have past relationships or not. if they bring up the subject, i will explore it with them, but in the end i dont really care much about their past. i try to live in the now. the past doesnt matter, the future doesnt matter.

the reason i do this is to take the pressure off her. if she doesnt have to worry about what my reaction might be to something in her past, then she can relax and just be herself.
This is exactly how I feel.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:32 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I tell them all Im a virgin.
o no you didnn't!

Seriously though if a date has cheated on an ex or is just bad at relationships or has some type of ulterior motive, I want to know. Every date has a track record that they need to fess up about.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:25 PM

408 posts, read 722,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Never.
As a 26 year old man with no dating or relationship experience I LOVE this answer!

Old 12-16-2014, 05:31 PM

408 posts, read 722,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
I think it's good to share "enough" but not too much.

Examples:

Too much = "I have slept with 21 men"
Enough = "I am not a virgin and have been in several long term relationships"

Too much = "I've never been on a single date"
Enough = "I'm a virgin and don't have any experience in relationships"
This is actually a very good guideline.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:39 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Never.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships