Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 08:58 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,760,668 times

Advertisements

What is it like? Is it a deal breaker if your s/o decided to go vegetarian? What type of hurtles are to be overcome? I can imagine during breakfast and dinner times, meals are prepared separately, and I could see a rift would develop between the couple. Over a long term period, would the polar opposite diets become an issue? What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 09:12 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
What is it like? Is it a deal breaker if your s/o decided to go vegetarian? What type of hurtles are to be overcome? I can imagine during breakfast and dinner times, meals are prepared separately, and I could see a rift would develop between the couple. Over a long term period, would the polar opposite diets become an issue? What are your thoughts?
I have friends that are vegetarians married to meat eaters and they get along just fine.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:15 AM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
just don't slaughter a pig right next to your vegetarian partner and you should be fine.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:17 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Anyone with different eating styles can and do have great relationships and marriages without fixing separate meals.
They learn to adapt to the others eating habits and as long as both are comfortable with it and do not force their eating habits on the other there usually is not an issue.

The issue comes in when one or the other refuses to accept the difference and learn how to adapt and compromise.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:21 AM

39,226 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Many of my friends are vegetarians, they have no problems dating meat eaters.
I tried to be a vegetarian once, and it lasts about five hours.
As long as she/he has no problems with the food you choose to eat, I see no potential problems.

My friend is a vegetarian, she also must eat organic food. I don't like going out to eat with her because it takes forever to find a restaurant. That is the only problem I have with her.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:33 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Are you expecting a woman to do all of your cooking for you? Or you to do all of the cooking for her? If not, this should not be an issue.

I became a vegetarian midway through my last LTR. When I cooked for us, I made meat-free meals that were very filling. If he wanted to eat meat, we would go out. Likewise, he could eat all the meat he wanted at lunch or on days we didn't see each other.

As for breakfast, we usually just had bagels, sometimes eggs or pancakes. But if he wanted bacon, he could have cooked it himself. Likewise, plenty of dishes that normally include meat can be made without it, or are such that the meat-eater can add meat at the end.

Not really sure what the issue is here. It's not like you're going to be eating all three meals together every single day. And it's not like it's a good idea for your health to eat meat at every meal, anyway. Bottom line is, if you want meat, cook it or buy it yourself, just like you're doing now!

Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Oh good, we can eat the same things.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,760,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Are you expecting a woman to do all of your cooking for you? Or you to do all of the cooking for her? If not, this should not be an issue.

I became a vegetarian midway through my last LTR. When I cooked for us, I made meat-free meals that were very filling. If he wanted to eat meat, we would go out. Likewise, he could eat all the meat he wanted at lunch or on days we didn't see each other.

As for breakfast, we usually just had bagels, sometimes eggs or pancakes. But if he wanted bacon, he could have cooked it himself. Likewise, plenty of dishes that normally include meat can be made without it, or are such that the meat-eater can add meat at the end.

Not really sure what the issue is here. It's not like you're going to be eating all three meals together every single day. And it's not like it's a good idea for your health to eat meat at every meal, anyway. Bottom line is, if you want meat, cook it or buy it yourself, just like you're doing now!

No I see what you're saying. I guess the issue is going from a joint effort cooking endeavor (breakfast,dinner) to cooking separately. I lift weights, need lots of protein to supplement my diet, so, a couple meals everyday involve mostly chicken. I was just not sure how, in the long term, a relationship could survive having such polar opposite diets. But, as I read some of the replies here, it seems it could work. I'm just having trouble understanding how this will impact any relationship long-term. I've enjoyed having a steak dinner with my s/o, or grilling chicken together at a BBQ.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:56 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
No I see what you're saying. I guess the issue is going from a joint effort cooking endeavor (breakfast,dinner) to cooking separately. I lift weights, need lots of protein to supplement my diet, so, a couple meals everyday involve mostly chicken. I was just not sure how, in the long term, a relationship could survive having such polar opposite diets. But, as I read some of the replies here, it seems it could work. I'm just having trouble understanding how this will impact any relationship long-term. I've enjoyed having a steak dinner with my s/o, or grilling chicken together at a BBQ.
Why do you feel she has to eat what you eat in order for you to bond with her? You don't expect her to order the same dishes at a restaurant, right? If it's because you like to cook, you can grill a veggie burger just as easily as you can grill your chicken.

My ex had several food allergies that would send him into anaphylactic shock. He was also lactose intolerant, hated mushrooms and celery, was overconcerned about enriched grain or pasta products and high-fructose corn syrup, freaked out about BPA and food storage or preparation products made with plastic or in China, and could not stand the smell of most seafood (I occasionally eat seafood if I dine out somewhere nice).

Somehow, we managed.

Just remember, she'll have to be tolerant of what she might see as your food "issues," too.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:01 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,082 times
Why that should be deal breaker? One of my friends is a vegetarian but his wife is not but they do very well. If take like that there is non you can find non deal breaking .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships