Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 08:41 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Of course he could (as long as he has the financial means), as long as he accepts that it is only one-way, and that the young thing is probably a gold digger and/or has a freudian problem with her father...

Your screen name fits you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 04:59 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Clean View Post
whatever, "till death do us part" is full disclosure enough to let the couple know what they are getting into.
But it is not what they are getting into. We have divorce. So it is misleading to suggest that this is what they are getting into - when they are not.

But I guess it sounds better than "Till either death or an inconvenient and overly complex litigation process do we part".

Old 03-21-2016, 11:46 AM

52 posts, read 47,501 times
Yes, an mature man can fall in love with a younger lady, and vice versa. In fact it's much easier to do so than with same-age females or the older ones. Which is why the trend seems to be that men in their late 30s onwards are going for young women in their late teens or 20s.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:32 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringRain View Post
I know most people say that younger women only like older men for financial reasons but is that always the case? I mean why can't the younger woman just genuinely like the older man? Why is that so hard to believe?
It definitely is not always true. I'm certainly not with my fiancé for money (since I make anywhere from 2 to 4x as much as he does depending on the job he's on; since he does contract work, employment's not even a reliable thing for him). We share some common interests and goals in life. It's not at all about money and he's not with me for intimacy (since we're waiting until marriage and it's been about a year since the engagement).

Quote:
How would a younger woman know if a older man is genuinely interested in her as a person and just not for sex or a fling?
That's rather simple. Just wait until marriage (and make sure the engagement is more than a few weeks or months).

Old 03-24-2016, 06:32 AM

5 posts, read 9,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Life really is too short and unpredictable to think about age gaps.
True I guess, however I think a big age gap can be a positive thing. With older man/younger woman, it's easier for both parties to fall naturally into their respective roles.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:20 AM

971 posts, read 689,149 times
Sometimes stuff just happens, you don't plan it. In my case, I met a woman who was 22 when I was 52. She was a friend of my best friends son. I just came out of a nasty divorce and was living alone in a different town and really didn't know anyone to hang out with. I was not big on the bar scene.

I hung out with my single buddy who lived in a big house in the country and he always had weekend parties spring till fall with a big campfire and beer (that how we rednecks do it here) and everyone hung out. She and I became friends and eventually I asked her if she would clean my house for me and I would pay her well. She accepted. I got to know her more through this.

I decided to take a beach trip and she asked if I was taking anyone. I said no and she asked if she could go. We went for a week and got closer on that trip. Then, she became a hang out buddy who went to the lake with me, came over and watched movies and just came over to hang out. One night after waaay too much beer the discussion came up of the difference between a guy my age and a young guy. One thing led to another and there was drunken experimental sex.

Next day, it was decided that while it was fun it probably shouldn't have happened. But, things were never the same and we kept hooking up until feelings developed. We had a great time for about a year and then she asked to move in with me. I told her that while I thought it would be fun while it lasted, it had no future and I didn't want to be heartbroken when I finally started looking and acting my age in another 10 years or so. A 20 year age difference I could handle but not 30.

She tells me she loves me and that wouldn't happen, that she would stick the rest of my life. I didn't feel it was fair to her and told her she would be better off with someone closer her own age. She did not take it well and eventually stopped speaking to me. To this day she "checks up" on me with mutual friends as to what I am doing relationship wise. She found a bf her age but tells folks she isn't happy but will settle. If we all end up at the same place at the same time, she either ignores me (and I do the same) or leaves.
Her friends tell me she misses me and if I ever wanted to rekindle the relationship she would be all for it, but I know she is better off without me.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:40 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Quote:
This is not a troll question I know people who think that older men only want younger women for sex. Like it's not possible for a man in his late 40's to fall in love with a woman in her late 20's. It's always about either the younger woman only wants the older man for financial reasons. Or there is something wrong with the older man mentally the reason he'd actually be interested in the younger woman. That the older man only wants the younger woman for sex and because she's young.
Flat earth, for sure.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:52 AM

10 posts, read 6,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
Sometimes stuff just happens, you don't plan it. In my case, I met a woman who was 22 when I was 52. She was a friend of my best friends son. I just came out of a nasty divorce and was living alone in a different town and really didn't know anyone to hang out with. I was not big on the bar scene.

I hung out with my single buddy who lived in a big house in the country and he always had weekend parties spring till fall with a big campfire and beer (that how we rednecks do it here) and everyone hung out. She and I became friends and eventually I asked her if she would clean my house for me and I would pay her well. She accepted. I got to know her more through this.

I decided to take a beach trip and she asked if I was taking anyone. I said no and she asked if she could go. We went for a week and got closer on that trip. Then, she became a hang out buddy who went to the lake with me, came over and watched movies and just came over to hang out. One night after waaay too much beer the discussion came up of the difference between a guy my age and a young guy. One thing led to another and there was drunken experimental sex.

Next day, it was decided that while it was fun it probably shouldn't have happened. But, things were never the same and we kept hooking up until feelings developed. We had a great time for about a year and then she asked to move in with me. I told her that while I thought it would be fun while it lasted, it had no future and I didn't want to be heartbroken when I finally started looking and acting my age in another 10 years or so. A 20 year age difference I could handle but not 30.

She tells me she loves me and that wouldn't happen, that she would stick the rest of my life. I didn't feel it was fair to her and told her she would be better off with someone closer her own age. She did not take it well and eventually stopped speaking to me. To this day she "checks up" on me with mutual friends as to what I am doing relationship wise. She found a bf her age but tells folks she isn't happy but will settle. If we all end up at the same place at the same time, she either ignores me (and I do the same) or leaves.
Her friends tell me she misses me and if I ever wanted to rekindle the relationship she would be all for it, but I know she is better off without me.
Hi Bearsdad.

My head is always thinking the same things you thought and I'm 16 years older than my girl. I'm obsessed thinking about a couple where I'm 60 and she is 44 Will she likes me then? Now I don't look as her father (I'm 43 and she's 27), but I feel I have to think about future.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:16 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Falling in love doesn't take much, just a willingness and an attraction.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:41 AM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Since here is another resurrection of the age gap thing and I'm head over heels in a big age gap relationship right now, I'll bite.

I'm 38, my love is 58. I got into the dating scene a couple of years ago. I found out pretty quickly that I don't really want to date younger men, or even people my own age (who seem "younger" to me.) I like older partners. My whole life, I've liked older people, and did not feel comfortable with my own peers. When I was very little I was being raised by my Great Grandmother. Later, my Grandparents took a strong role, as did my Great-Aunt. My actual parents were too busy and self absorbed with their own problems to actively parent me much at all. I am guessing, that this sort of thing is why I love older people so much...I feel comfortable with them. I trust them. Somewhere deep in my child-brain is probably programmed the message that the best love has wrinkles, and stories to tell. I don't feel secure with younger partners, even those my age.

Now this is the result of a lot of thinking and introspection and self-work in the last couple of years.

My boyfriend and I are seriously considering marriage, but we are moving slow in all things related to escalating the relationship. I have already been a caregiver of others, so I'm not afraid of doing elder care for him one day. Yes, he is very sexually attracted to me and gets an ego boost from having a girlfriend 20 years younger than him, but he also likes and respects me for who I am. Yes, I am thinking about future financial security, but not in a greedy way (he is not rich) rather a practical "will this work?" kind of way. I figure, and we have talked about this, that we get married in a few years after my youngest kid is grown and out of the house...and I can help in a few years with financing his retirement since I am still in my working prime. He can pursue a hobby-career in his passion, photography, instead of slaving for a paycheck. A few decades down the road, we are looking at retirement age for me coinciding with elder-care years for him. So hopefully at that time, we can afford for me to retire and take care of him when and as needed. Assuming we both live more or less natural lifespans, whatever estate he leaves for me will fund whatever portion of life I have left in my own golden years, and I have kids to make decisions about any care I might need. We both agree that this could work well for both of us.

But we're both so happy together than neither one of us wants to think of a future where we are apart. But we are both mature and practical enough to want to make sure that marrying is not only what we want, but a sensible choice that will benefit us both. As he has no other family, it makes sense for me to take responsibility in handling his affairs as he'd wish them to be handled, when the time comes that he is no longer able to. I think marriage will make that easier.

We already deal with some medical concerns that come with aging, on his part, but I am not bothered or put off by it. We all get there eventually...unless we die first. *shrug*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships