Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 01:06 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringRain View Post
So because of the age difference between late 40's and late 20's then it really wouldn't be possible for the older man and younger woman to fall in love?
IN love? I doubt it. You can however love younger and be in lust, for awhile at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 01:27 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,012,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
IN love? I doubt it. You can however love younger and be in lust, for awhile at least.
hmm, when does one lose that capacity to love someone of a different age? does "true" really only exist with the "half your age plus seven" rule?

does the love of God, love thy neighbor differ from the love in Ephesians 5:25 "Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her".

or is the love you speak up something more subjective, like what your opinion is as to the definition of love or perhaps popular consensus as to what love is?

because if it's the latter, who cares what others may think about your ability to love another person, regardless of age or other characteristic. it's your life and relationship, not theirs. let them search for love and happiness in their journey, you have a different path of discovery and enlightenment.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:32 PM

18 posts, read 112,264 times
I personally think it's possible but as you can see from other comments here most people do not. Which is what I explained before that most people think it's not possible. I suppose a good example would be Woody Allen and Soon Yi.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:35 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringRain View Post
I personally think it's possible but as you can see from other comments here most people do not. Which is what I explained before that most people think it's not possible. I suppose a good example would be Woody Allen and Soon Yi.
I think it's possible but I don't think Woody Allen and Soon Yi are a good example of anything.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:37 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
I can't imagine being 40, or over, and being attracted to a 20 year old woman. They just haven't lived enough, or suffered enough and had time to enough grow from it and develop the wisdom i find attractive.

Old 10-18-2014, 01:57 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,012,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I think it's possible but I don't think Woody Allen and Soon Yi are a good example of anything.
same here, for sure concur with the above.

without making this an academic argument, there are some classic definitions of love, with perhaps eros love being the most applicable in the question OP presents. and seems the the literature does not suggest any limitations between two consenting adults. but to each his own...

Love - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Four Loves - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eros_(concept)

helen fisher btw has some great youtube clips on why and how we love.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:13 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I can't imagine being 40, or over, and being attracted to a 20 year old woman. They just haven't lived enough, or suffered enough and had time to enough grow from it and develop the wisdom i find attractive.
40 with a 20-something is extremely rare, IMO. But 60 with a 40-yr-old is a little more common. What 60-yr-old wouldn't fall for an energetic, in-shape 40-something who puts him on a pedestal, adoringly, if he's successful in his career, or is accomplished in a creative field? I've seen examples of that.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:19 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,714 times
Yes, why not? My husband is 20 years older than I am and we've been married 28 years.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:28 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
OK, I get you now. I keep forgetting you're geographically challenged. And I thought you said on another thread you were 40 when you broke up with her and started looking on OLD. ....?

*shrug*
You were thinking of my divorce. What a nightmare. In my mind, I "shouldn't" even be in this position. Life just doesn't work out as you plan.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:36 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
It happens all the time. But the real question should be can a younger woman fall in love with an older man? Yes of course, but no where near the ratio where older men fall in love with younger women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships