Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 09:45 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Not online dating... but met online. Of those 1/3, about half met on social networks, forums, chat rooms, etc. Still, that's a lot of people who met though online dating, so your point is still very valid that a lot of marriages result from online dating. I am just picking nits

Ok, fair enough, I'm surprised by that though. I would have no idea how to meet someone just from a online social network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 09:49 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Ok, fair enough, I'm surprised by that though. I would have no idea how to meet someone just from a online social network.
I think someone here has mentioned before they met their spouse though Citi-data! And now and then you hear about people meeting though online games and such too. I actually met two people I used to know only though online gaming (but that wasn't dating so much as I found out they were going to be in my town and I thought it would be fun to "actually meet." We had lunch together.)

Old 10-28-2014, 09:58 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,273 times
I just deleted my account it was getting me nowhere and just bringing me down..There was no upside to it..

Old 10-28-2014, 10:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I have made changes I've been working out the past year and trying different ways to meet women(old) since I have no single women in my social circle
But you missed the whole point of my previous lengthy post. The more you concentrate on meeting exclusively eligible women the more frustrated you'll get. The whole point of developing interests in diverse areas is in meeting people who, in turn, will introduce you to their social circles if they like you well enough and you're pleasant to be around. Take that nice elderly man who sits in the café a couple of days a week playing chess - who knows but that he has a big family who get together with friends of all ages every weekend, amongst whom are a couple of delightful and eligible granddaughters. A stretch of an example but you simply don't know.

People who are "successful daters" aren't all drop-dead gorgeous - they're just nice people who other people like to mingle with and include in their activities. In a previous thread dating back a few years you made a general comment that women don't like "nice guys". Wrong, wrong and wrong again.

Working out is good for you but isn't the be-all and end-all tool. Obviously you have a lot of time on your hands to post so much so why don't you use that time more productively and make an effort to join the real world and savor all it has to offer ...

Old 10-28-2014, 10:04 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I think someone here has mentioned before they met their spouse though Citi-data! And now and then you hear about people meeting though online games and such too. I actually met two people I used to know only though online gaming (but that wasn't dating so much as I found out they were going to be in my town and I thought it would be fun to "actually meet." We had lunch together.)

Ah, I never thought about gaming. I've never had an interest it at all. But that makes sense.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:03 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
I have dated with a lot of women from tinder. I start by saying Hi or commenting about something they put in their profile. If they respond back, the are probably atleast curious and not un interested. Then we get into where you from, what do you do for work, kids, bla bla bla. Then I finally ask them what type of relationship they are looking for and if we are still talking its a 50% shot when I say lets exchange numbers and chat some more then maybe we can meet up for lunch and see if we are a match.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:45 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
It does not work. Websites block full name, email accounts and facebook accounts. Messages from real people sent to you gets blocked. This to get you to PAY for a premium upgrade and when you do, you get messages from fake accounts made by the website. It's a scam 90%.
Not true... I have met and gone on dates with 3 guys that I met OLD. They are real people....

It is true that you have limited access with the non paid areas but once you pay, you will get some real messages. you will also get some fake ones (automatic) generated by the site... which is on the scammy side. And you will have access to accounts that are obsolete...(people have gone into relationships and don't go on the site anymore but do not remove their profiles)....

And you will get real people who scam (looking for casual sex etc). But that is no different than going to your local sports bar and meeting someone there....

Old 10-28-2014, 12:48 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Do not talk about meeting in the initial email or two. Just send a brief note saying hello and highlighting that you read their profile, with emphasis in what about them interested you, common interests, etc.

Really just depends on your style. I'm the blunt type so my messages are usually more direct (Hi, nice profile. Do you enjoy your career as an XYZ, etc,,,,). It's unnatural for me to use one-liners or stuff like that so I go with what's comfortable to me.
^^this

So many people miss this. When someone talks about meeting me or getting my phone number in the initial email, I politely refuse and then ignore all other emails. It is an indication to me that this guy is racing to the finish line... if you get my drift.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:54 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,449,163 times
How does online dating work?

How it worked for me is, I log in, reply to anyone who talks decent, wait for them to ask me out, usually within a day or two. Since I specifically tell them that's how I want to know them, in person, not thru texts, or phone or IMs, IN PERSON, ASAP!

Have fun, don't get discouraged if they were only one time meets and believe me, I've had gajillions of it!

Until 2 years of this, I met my husband, 2 months later, he ask me to marry and so now we are married and closing on our house tomorrow.

See, how it worked for me? Nice, huh. My husband is not perfect, but well I am glad I have the common sense to KNOW no one AND nothing is PERFECT.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:36 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
^^this

So many people miss this. When someone talks about meeting me or getting my phone number in the initial email, I politely refuse and then ignore all other emails. It is an indication to me that this guy is racing to the finish line... if you get my drift.
I concur! I like to meet soon (or at least did when I did online dating) but when the first message was "what's your phone number?" or even worse, "wanna text." It was just a huge turn off. I can't explain it, doesn't have any logic or reason to it, it just felt bad. If I had to pin down the feeling, I guess my impression was they were looking for a quick hook-up.

It's also one of the things the dating sites warn you about as far as scammers go (rushing to get you off the dating site platform ASAP). So not only is someone rushing shooting themselves in the foot because of rushing, but they are also shooting themselves in the other foot because some might assume it's a scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships