Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:29 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Tastes have improved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 11:36 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

I cant say I have ever heard any of my female friends say that although I believe this is true for most everyone as well as feeling they tend to not find people attractive now whom they would have considered attractive years ago.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-21-2014 at 06:42 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 11:37 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No you become more selective.
Yeah, that's what happened to me too. Like I said with personality, I was willing to put up with brooding, moody men because I thought they were "deep." Well, I learned that's not true and won't tolerate it anymore.

Most people become more selective as they learn and mature I'd say--especially if you are looking for marriage or something committed. It's kind of silly to think people are selective when they are young and casually dating and when something important and meaningful like marriage comes along suddenly you don't care and you loosen up your standards. Maybe some people had good standards in the first place and don't need to change anything, but those who didn't tend to learn from experience and tighten things up. Of course, you still have your train wreck marriages waiting to happen too.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:38 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No you become more selective.
I do. I meant the OP.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:07 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

It's not a bad thing if people's tastes change... and it's not a bad thing is people's tastes don't change. And both women and men have chimed and and said "yes" and "no" for their own personal situations. It's just what a person finds attractive--there is no right or wrong to attraction and there is no good or bad if that changes over time.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-21-2014 at 06:43 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 03:09 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,600,795 times
[quote=jillabean;36960527] [Snip.]

I don't think it's desperation so much as people change over time and so do their tastes.

First, looks-wise. People's taste in looks change as they%2

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-21-2014 at 06:45 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 03:27 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
No, my wife has very high standards!

Old 10-21-2014, 03:44 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
I'm not a woman, but I could see it being true as a result of becoming less picky as they get older
The info I get from women is that they become more picky as they get older. Like, in their 20's, they're experimenting, and they learn from experience what works for them, they learn about themselves and what their needs are, too. So they use that info to inform their choices as they mature. It's easy to be flexible when you're young. But as you get to know yourself better, you're naturally gonna have better aim at what meets your needs best.

Something similar happens to dudes, too. Or to some of us, anyway. In the beginning, we tend to be all about looks. Then after being burned a few times, we (some of us, lol!) figure out that character--honesty, loyalty, emotional stability/maturity, etc., need to be high on the list. Some of us figure that out sooner than others.

But overall, everyone's going through a learning curve, and is adjusting their picker accordingly. With the result that choices are narrowing, they're becoming more fine-tuned. And that's a good thing. If your picker keeps aiming too broadly, or at the wrong criteria, you'll keep getting into trouble, and you'll wind up on City Data, dissing an entire gender, lol!

Old 10-21-2014, 03:50 PM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
The info I get from women is that they become more picky as they get older. Like, in their 20's, they're experimenting, and they learn from experience what works for them, they learn about themselves and what their needs are, too. So they use that info to inform their choices as they mature. It's easy to be flexible when you're young. But as you get to know yourself better, you're naturally gonna have better aim at what meets your needs best.

Something similar happens to dudes, too. Or to some of us, anyway. In the beginning, we tend to be all about looks. Then after being burned a few times, we (some of us, lol!) figure out that character--honesty, loyalty, emotional stability/maturity, etc., need to be high on the list. Some of us figure that out sooner than others.

But overall, everyone's going through a learning curve, and is adjusting their picker accordingly. With the result that choices are narrowing, they're becoming more fine-tuned. And that's a good thing. If your picker keeps aiming too broadly, or at the wrong criteria, you'll keep getting into trouble, and you'll wind up on City Data, dissing an entire gender, lol!

I am more picky now with major things (he needs to have a job, reliable, nice, healthy...) and less picky with unimportant things like height, children, previous marriages. I am currently dating a guy who is quite shorter than me. I would have never even considered that 10 years ago. But he is awesome and I try to get over my insecurities.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:52 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Does anyone have the exact same taste they had when they were younger? I mean, I was a different person when I was young - I wouldn't expect to find the same things attractive. However, that doesn't mean that I have ever consciously though, "I tend to find guys attractive whom I wouldn't have considered years ago" or that I've heard anyone else say that either. As people mature and evolve, it would make sense that their tastes in friends, romantic partners, books, furniture, etc. would evolve, too. I wouldn't even say it's about being more picky or less picky - just more true to who you find yourself to be and where you want to go in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships