Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:54 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,911 times

Advertisements

For the breakup with me it has to be in person and look me in the eye. No phone call. No email. No third hand. In person so that you get to see, relish and enjoy the experience.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:25 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I never got dumped in a relationship but I would prefer to hear why if it ever happens. I can only change and learn from mistakes if I am aware of it, right? Otherwise I always wonder what I did wrong.
you were a bad..bad..girl!!!!!

Old 10-23-2014, 11:23 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSurfer View Post
you were a bad..bad..girl!!!!!

Old 10-23-2014, 11:45 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
On the non romantic relationships board, I discussed how many people use the passive aggressive approach to ending relationships with best friends. They just make an effort to send them a message they are no longer interested in friendship anymore by slowly or suddenly eliminating contact. I said this might be fine for casual buddies but not best friends. I prefer a direct conversation.

How about lovers you are breaking it off with? Is the new approach the passive aggressive approach, with a sudden breakoff of contact, without saying why, or a plan to send them a message by being really slow at returning phone calls, texts or emails, or claiming you were busy even if you are not. Or maybe breaking it off with a simple text or email. Or a phone message when you know that they are not going to answer the phone.

How do you break it off with lovers and why is it different than breaking off relationships with best friends?
It depends on the person and the situation. I have broken it off in person with some and I've dropped others with no notice. I don't treat any other relationship any differently.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:54 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
I think once you slept with somebody and the other person assumed you are having a relationship, you owe a personal talk if you break it off. Out of respect.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:12 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think once you slept with somebody and the other person assumed you are having a relationship, you owe a personal talk if you break it off. Out of respect.
I agree with this.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:17 PM

31,039 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I don't need someone to sit down and have a conversation with me about why they are breaking things off. Text me, e-mail me, call me and say "it's not working out, I'm done"...that is more than enough for me. If they are done, then I am done.

You either want to be with me, or you don't. If you don't, there is no need to sit me down and explain why.
something to be said for keeping it simple!

Old 10-23-2014, 06:55 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I don't need someone to sit down and have a conversation with me about why they are breaking things off. Text me, e-mail me, call me and say "it's not working out, I'm done"...that is more than enough for me. If they are done, then I am done.

You either want to be with me, or you don't. If you don't, there is no need to sit me down and explain why.
Right. If she doesn't want me what makes her think that I would want anything to do with her ever again? The thing she remembers is that it was her choice, not mine. People are entitled to make incredibly stupid decisions. Not my fault or problem.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
passive aggressive is the only way to go.
you are took good for me, you deserve better
you are a goddess and i am nothing
(that is why i am putting you in the goddess trash can)

Old 10-24-2014, 08:05 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
On the non romantic relationships board, I discussed how many people use the passive aggressive approach to ending relationships with best friends. They just make an effort to send them a message they are no longer interested in friendship anymore by slowly or suddenly eliminating contact. I said this might be fine for casual buddies but not best friends. I prefer a direct conversation.

How about lovers you are breaking it off with? Is the new approach the passive aggressive approach, with a sudden breakoff of contact, without saying why, or a plan to send them a message by being really slow at returning phone calls, texts or emails, or claiming you were busy even if you are not. Or maybe breaking it off with a simple text or email. Or a phone message when you know that they are not going to answer the phone.

How do you break it off with lovers and why is it different than breaking off relationships with best friends?
When my ex and I broke up, we had a long walk on the beach and he told me, "I know what you are going to say, but I still don't want to hear it. Since we are going our separate ways, I wish you well. I am not going to date for a while" I never looked him in the face because I knew I would have changed my mind.

We had a great relationship and he was one of the few men I have truly loved. We broke up because circumstances beyond our control. I think I owe him at least a face to face conversation.

I still think about him from time to time and we are still very good friends. I don't hate anybody I dated, if I bad mouth all the guys I've dated, what does it say about me? I would like to believe I am not that bad judge of character. I try to distant myself if I knew the relationship was not going anywhere, hoping he could end it because I always had troubles saying no. I would prefer a very civil break up, text, phone call, face to face, doesn't matter, as long as it is civil. I don't need drama especially after the person is gone. Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships