Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 05:33 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,820,271 times

Advertisements

Considering that I'd be more likely to get a great career than a great spouse, if it's something I love, I'd rather have the great career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 06:07 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,410,398 times
Career. If I find a great guy along the way, even better!

At the end of the day, when there is no one there by your side when people pass away and die, you are still left to fend for yourself.

Why not put all your heart and emotions into work that has meaning, rather than settling in for a job that has no meaning, and a relationship that has no guarantees? Careers may not have any guarantees, but at least you're still solid in what you want, who you are in life, with or without someone. And, too many people lie to themselves so much anyway. The only person you can trust and rely on is you. When you do what you love and love what you do.. you are likely to attract someone who shares similar views/values/lifestyle.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:10 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,224,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Career. If I find a great guy along the way, even better!

At the end of the day, when there is no one there by your side when people pass away and die, you are still left to fend for yourself.

Why not put all your heart and emotions into work that has meaning, rather than settling in for a job that has no meaning, and a relationship that has no guarantees? Careers may not have any guarantees, but at least you're still solid in what you want, who you are in life, with or without someone. And, too many people lie to themselves so much anyway. The only person you can trust is you. When you do what you love and love what you do.. you are likely to attract someone who shares similar views/lifestyle.
The career itself may not be solid but the experiences, training, certifications, degree, any potential intellectual property stays with you and allows you to search for better jobs than if all you have is a high school diploma.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:15 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,640,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
No you couldn't. You are so dead set on getting a career because you've made it blatantly obvious that "no women will date you otherwise."

And now, an even worse excuse that she will get in the way of school and work and won't be content being "3rd."

The VAST majority of women would understand you work and go to school. They likely do too. What do you think college guys do? Not work or date? Lol. I worked in college and dated all the time.

If you are in school you might as well have the same confidence as if you are done. Someone will think much more of you being in school than just "talking about it."

All that being said, it doesn't matter. The career, job, or school isn't why you're single. It's because you are obviously too afraid to meet any because you're insecure with yourself.

If that's the reason (and it is) that's fine. But stop blaming women for it, necause its not them, women date guys in your situation all the time. It's just disrespectful to women as a whole, and also to men in your position that can and do date.
Well i am not college age I am 31 and this is my second time in college all ready got a degree but it is at a community college but decided it time to go back to school so I did and have been .

I know people older than me that are married and dong back to school and have kids and I do not see how they do it.

I just feel this jusy me I can not do all three if people can more power to them.

Also I now I have issues and I am my own worst enemy .

Old 10-26-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Out of curiosity, what kind of nurse do you plan to be? Unless you are a practitioner or anesthetist you won't be able to buy a car like that "just because." In fact, even if you are, affording a $60k impractical car for fun will put a pretty big dent at any pqth along the way.

I also saw you mention "$500k house" in another thread, which is also going to take a long time even if you're a high level nurse I mentioned earlier.. if you're an RN or probably even a BSN you should probably drop that idea right now. Possible? Maybe, but pretty unlikely..

I make what a typical anesthetist makes and far more than most practioners, and it would be quite some time before I coukd make a $500k house practical, unless I lived like a bum and put everything towards a house, which would be stupid.

Well right now I am just going for the BSN and going to go from there. As for as a house and i car it more of a dream to live in a nice neighborhood and have a nice car but it might happen .

It is funny when people say man if i could make what your making now i be rich . Yea , if i moved to the middle of the country NO thanks .

I do know when I go college full time I might be living in my car if i have to. Work all ready told me they will not work around school and to F off for the most part.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I've been an RN for 22 years. I can tell you right now he's dreaming of a lifestyle that will never be a reality.
Research shows that men in female-dominated jobs tend to fare better even than men in male-dominated jobs, and they typically earn higher salaries, receive more promotions, and achieve higher levels within organizations than their female counterparts.

A New Obstacle For Professional Women: The Glass Escalator - Forbes

BTW I am not going into nursing to become rich I am doing it because I will be good at it and like helping people.

I do not see how people stayed chained to a desk for 8 to 10 hours a day on the computer. Anything like that is not for me .

If i wanted to become rich I would pull a bernie madoff and live it up.

I wouldn't enter retail management for any amount of money, after seeing what my bosses over the years go through. Ever see a dog that has been kicked too much, and now flinches the minute you move towards it? That's most retail managers. You have to sell your soul to the company, to be one of those...and the payout isn't worth the cost.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:56 PM

52,161 posts, read 52,609,244 times
Quote:
I've been an RN for 22 years. I can tell you right now he's dreaming of a lifestyle that will never be a reality.
We have a family member who is a nurse practitioner.....she seems to like it...

I heard that the job market is really pretty good for RN's...... IDK... I don't have a clue what the day to day is like for nurses... It seems like an honorable job though...

Old 10-26-2014, 08:15 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,731,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
We have a family member who is a nurse practitioner.....she seems to like it...

I heard that the job market is really pretty good for RN's...... IDK... I don't have a clue what the day to day is like for nurses... It seems like an honorable job though...
I'm not saying nurses don't do ok. But they don't normally afford 1/2 million dollar homes nor have particularly extravagant lifestyles. NPs generally make more than RNs depending on their specialty. The job market isn't great for nurses, especially new grads. Once you have experience then it's easy to get a job but breaking into the field is challenging at present. Nursing has a high attrition rate as well, it's a tough job.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:24 PM

52,161 posts, read 52,609,244 times
Quote:
I'm not saying nurses don't do ok. But they don't normally afford 1/2 million dollar homes nor have particularly extravagant lifestyles. NPs generally make more than RNs depending on their specialty. The job market isn't great for nurses, especially new grads. Once you have experience then it's easy to get a job but breaking into the field is challenging at present. Nursing has a high attrition rate as well, it's a tough job.
You know the job and the industry much better than I so I'll take your word for it. The one thing that does stick out in my mind was a few yrs ago... I remember seeing a billboard and it was a hospital trying to recruit nurses and they were offering down payment assistance for a home purchase as an incentive to recruit nurses.. I remember thinking at the time, damn... that was a sweet deal..

At any rate... thanks for doing the hard work..... it is appreciated......

Old 10-26-2014, 09:10 PM

103 posts, read 91,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I have a feeling that most of the people choosing career have never been in love or found a person that makes their life better. I know one of the people that would pick career is married - but I think that the rest of the people that picked career are not married - and most of the people that are married picked a spouse. It's hard to really decide what's more important when you have never experienced one of the components. That's not a knock at people who have never experienced love - it's just that how could you know what being in love is like if you've never experienced it?
Its not like everbody can get a spouse that they want to be with anyway if you put the time in you can get a great career not so much for men and relationships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships