Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:09 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times

Advertisements

In my experience, the younger guys I've dated not only are less serious, which can be fun depending on what you're looking for, but they tend to have even less knowledge on how to treat other people, which can be off-putting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 08:26 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
I am looking for serious, long term and want to be married.

I am done with the guys that want to use and abuse me, then leave me.

Why is the 30-40 crowd so awful? I mean like the single guys are losers or really damaged and untrusting of women in general. Some are still living with their parents. I was on my own at 17, so this makes my head explode.

I have been talking to one guy for weeks now but he wants to take it slow. Seems like he would be a good fit, however he is scared to exchange numbers.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Why is the 30-40 crowd so awful?

They're not. This is when the guys start getting serious. They've finished undergrad and probably grad school, they've started to become established in their career path, and they're looking to meet other single educated women that are at similar places educationally and in their professional careers to meet and potentially start families with.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
They're not. This is when the guys start getting serious. They've finished undergrad and probably grad school, they've started to become established in their career path, and they're looking to meet other single educated women that are at similar places educationally and in their professional careers to meet and potentially start families with.
That is far from what I am seeing.

Half are recently separated or divorced, have three kids, irate over paying child support and still fighting for custody and visitation.

Another group is covered in tattoos and piercings. Some live at home and have never had adult responsibilities. Some still are recreational drug users. Like seriously you have not outgrown that yet?

many have still not figured out what they want to do when they grow up so they are still working retail and as cooks in restaurants.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
That is far from what I am seeing.

Half are recently separated or divorced, have three kids, irate over paying child support and still fighting for custody and visitation.

Another group is covered in tattoos and piercings. Some live at home and have never had adult responsibilities. Some still are recreational drug users. Like seriously you have not outgrown that yet?

many have still not figured out what they want to do when they grow up so they are still working retail and as cooks in restaurants.

Not sure where you live, but in my 30s-40s I lived in Chicago, SF and Boston, and it was rare to meet a professional 30 yo that was divorced with kids. Most people had never been married and were really starting their careers then after grad school.

If you're in an educationally and culturally depressed area, or on POF, then what you describe is what you'll find.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:19 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not sure where you live, but in my 30s-40s I lived in Chicago, SF and Boston, and it was rare to meet a professional 30 yo that was divorced with kids. Most people had never been married and were really starting their careers then after grad school.

If you're in an educationally and culturally depressed area, or on POF, then what you describe is what you'll find.
This. Maybe you should try a different site, and also work on meeting people IRL. I'm in your age range, OP, and I don't know any dudes who are divorced with kids. Most of us are as Timberline describes. I'm surprised you'd generalize to an entire age group the type of people you see on your OLD site. I hope you know better than that.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:25 AM

I live on the east coast. Day trips to the Capitol are easy to do from my location. I live in a professional area, so. I should be able to find someone. I have a professional job. I do not have a degree though, however Imam tempted to change my profile to say I do, so that maybe I could attract better people.

I have a profile on POF, but also use okcupid.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
This. Maybe you should try a different site, and also work on meeting people IRL. I'm in your age range, OP, and I don't know any dudes who are divorced with kids. Most of us are as Timberline describes. I'm surprised you'd generalize to an entire age group the type of people you see on your OLD site. I hope you know better than that.
I can only speak for the 25 or so dates I have had and approximately 85-100 guys I did not meet. Something about my profile is attracting this type. I just don't know what.

It was very common to get married young in my area. I am 35 and spent 17 years in long term relationships. I was married and divorced by 27. Granted most of my friends are still married.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I can only speak for the 25 or so dates I have had and approximately 85-100 guys I did not meet. Something about my profile is attracting this type. I just don't know what.

Kids (by two different dads) and no college degree. Would not touch no matter what else seemed to be going right. Not at that age. Maybe at 50.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:32 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,390 times
Quote:
Although a rare few people say they've had good luck on POF, they said it took tons of weeding through the riff-raff. Most people say it's a cesspool. Before you resort to outright lying (I can see why you'd want to), try a paid site, just to see if things improve. You owe it to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships