Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 06:53 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,863,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Physical therapist here.

I live in Seattle WA, which is one of the most in shape cities in the United States, and I work with the general public, so I know plenty of 40+ women. Your belief that "both genders are taking care of themselves more actively these days" couldn't be any further from the truth. We've never been as unhealthy and overweight as we are now. Even in a city known for it's active lifestyles, the bulk of my patients are overweight from poor diet and lack of exercise.

Men naturally have more muscle mass due to having higher levels of testosterone. As muscle mass starts to dramatically decline in people after 40 (about a quarter pound a year) the body starts to lose its shape. Because woman already have less muscle mass and significantly more body fat naturally, they typically lose their shape earlier than men do. It's also more difficult for them to reverse this process through exercise. Another big factor in women aging faster than men is the fact that because they have less testosterone the collagen in their skin breaks down faster. This isn't always noticeable because women wear makeup, but a 40 something guy typically has better skin than a 40 something woman. This is in no way a shot at women, but these are facts. It's a lot easier for a 45 year old man to achieve a beach body through diet and exercise than it is for a 45 year old woman. It is what it is.
This is funny, because it's some of the women in Seattle I'm talking about. Maybe some women do "lose their shape" in their 40's, but others don't. As a phys therapist, you probably would get more of the ones who are out of shape. The in-shape, fit, ones don't need physical therapy, they're less prone to injuries. You should go to the gyms around Seattle, and do a survey. Check out REI customers, too. Ask people their age (you'll run into some surprises), and ask about diet, exercise, and whatever else you need to know. It's a whole different crowd than the people you're seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 07:24 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
This is funny, because it's some of the women in Seattle I'm talking about. Maybe some women do "lose their shape" in their 40's, but others don't. As a phys therapist, you probably would get more of the ones who are out of shape. The in-shape, fit, ones don't need physical therapy, they're less prone to injuries. You should go to the gyms around Seattle, and do a survey. Check out REI customers, too. Ask people their age (you'll run into some surprises), and ask about diet, exercise, and whatever else you need to know. It's a whole different crowd than the people you're seeing.
Yeah, I have an extensive education in age related issues, and currently work daily with people suffering from their bodies breaking down, but I actually don't know anything about it. Silly me trying to convince people with my facts and science. It's a good thing that some of the brilliant people here on CD can share their "opinions" with an idiot like myself. Honestly, I wish more of my patients would set me straight like this. I love it when they argue with me because I don't know anything.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:34 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,996 times
Quote:
WOAH, dude! Look around you, check out some of the 40-something dudes. Some of 'em look like they're 60. Hormones play out differently for different individuals. Some women look insanely young in their 50's, still. A few dudes still look young at 50. Other men and women start to get dumpy and grey by 50.

Did you think men don't have hormones that go downhill after 40? LOL. Wait til you get there, and see what it's like. A lot of us are in for a surprise. Talk to your uncles and your dad. Get a reality check, so you know what to expect. For example, my dad had issues with skin cancer, after too much sun exposure. None of the women in my extended family have had that, and none of them have been into tanning, either. Women are religious about using sunscreen IME. An older cousin of mine (male) was seriously into tanning, though, for over 20 years, and now he looks like his dad, he's prematurely aged. He looks a generation older from his own siblings.

You really have a lot to learn about this stuff.
I'm probably old enough to be your dad kid LOL

Old 10-27-2014, 08:13 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Yeah, I have an extensive education in age related issues, and currently work daily with people suffering from their bodies breaking down, but I actually don't know anything about it. Silly me trying to convince people with my facts and science. It's a good thing that some of the brilliant people here on CD can share their "opinions" with an idiot like myself. Honestly, I wish more of my patients would set me straight like this. I love it when they argue with me because I don't know anything.
I'm not disputing your facts at all. I think you are dismissing mine without considering their impact on aging. Biologically, men will age better than women given the exact same environmental factors. How many people have the exact same environmental factors? Aging is both biologically and environmentally driven. Men have the edge biologically, but women have the edge environmentally.

Of course menopausal women will age at a faster rate due to their hormonal loss. This can be alleviated somewhat with HRT...correct? Don't most women go through menopause in their fifties though? The OP has a good 15-20 years before that is an issue.

I asked what research you were basing your ideas on sunscreen.Everything I've ever read has stressed the importance of sunscreen and the fact that men die twice as often due to skin cancer. I've even read about the reasons why men don't use sunscreen.

More sun exposure combined with less sunscreen leads to more severe skin damage. sun damage causes premature aging. Thus men would show that sign of aging before a woman who has used sunscreen daily.

You agreed that women eat more fruit and veg, which can help stop premature aging.

Last edited by Meyerland; 10-27-2014 at 08:25 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 08:25 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,726 times
Quote:
WOAH, dude! Look around you, check out some of the 40-something dudes. Some of 'em look like they're 60. Hormones play out differently for different individuals. Some women look insanely young in their 50's, still. A few dudes still look young at 50. Other men and women start to get dumpy and grey by 50.

Did you think men don't have hormones that go downhill after 40? LOL. Wait til you get there, and see what it's like. A lot of us are in for a surprise. Talk to your uncles and your dad. Get a reality check, so you know what to expect. For example, my dad had issues with skin cancer, after too much sun exposure. None of the women in my extended family have had that, and none of them have been into tanning, either. Women are religious about using sunscreen IME. An older cousin of mine (male) was seriously into tanning, though, for over 20 years, and now he looks like his dad, he's prematurely aged. He looks a generation older from his own siblings.

You really have a lot to learn about this stuff.
I just turned 48 a few weeks ago, so I am there. Seriously, I am in better shape now than when I was in my thirties. I haven't slowed down at all. In fact, I'm probably more active. Hormones? No change there. I want it as much now as I did when I was 25. I'll say it again, IF you take care of yourself, exercise and eat right and don't smoke and drink to excess it can be done. I've never felt better in my life, and no medication at all.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I just turned 48 a few weeks ago, so I am there. Seriously, I am in better shape now than when I was in my thirties. Hormones? No change there. I want it as much now as I did when I was 25. I'll say it again, IF you take care of yourself, exercise and eat right and don't smoke and drink to excess it can be done. I've never felt better in my life, and no medication at all.
That's great! Congrats on your healthy lifestyle.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:30 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
That's great! Congrats on your healthy lifestyle.
Thanks!

Old 10-27-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks!
People always tell me I look younger than my forty years. It's a combination of staying out of the sun, sunscreen use, lots of healthy food, little alcohol, and exercise.

I think the OP takes very good care or herself, and I don't doubt that she is capable of attracting a younger mate. ( whether she truly wants one is a different topic)

I think the OP should message guys between 28 and 42. That's seven years up or down. That's not a Huge gap if she takes great care of herself.

Last edited by Meyerland; 10-27-2014 at 08:49 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 04:14 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
People always tell me I look younger than my forty years. It's a combination of staying out of the sun, sunscreen use, lots of healthy food, little alcohol, and exercise.

I think the OP takes very good care or herself, and I don't doubt that she is capable of attracting a younger mate. ( whether she truly wants one is a different topic)

I think the OP should message guys between 28 and 42. That's seven years up or down. That's not a Huge gap if she takes great care of herself.
I do eat healthy, never smoked and drink very infrequently. I dont even drink soft drinks. Only water, unsweet tea and coffee. Maybe that does help make me look younger. Dont know, but I see no plans of changing now.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:14 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
I just turned 48 a few weeks ago, so I am there. Seriously, I am in better shape now than when I was in my thirties. I haven't slowed down at all. In fact, I'm probably more active. Hormones? No change there. I want it as much now as I did when I was 25. I'll say it again, IF you take care of yourself, exercise and eat right and don't smoke and drink to excess it can be done. I've never felt better in my life, and no medication at all.

Things don't have to fall apart unless you let 'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships