Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:18 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I think there is no real way to know, especially since "happiness" is a relative term meaning many different things to different people.

Many people are happily married, many people are happily single - to each his/her own. It's not a contest.
I don't think its nearly as relative as some people believe though. Sex money and love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 05:07 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
People who haven't been married need to get married in order to figure this one out.

Once they are, they'll realize they weren't unhappy at all. It's just a different perspective.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:52 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
I think it depends on the age, in your 20s and 30s I think being single is fun... 40s and over not so much as most in your age group are not single so you feel more out of place. There is also societal discrimination towards older single people (40+) who are looked upon as unable to commit towards marriage and family.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 762 times
how are you i wan't make a family

Old 11-05-2014, 09:09 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times
I'm happy, but if I found my match I'd be happier. Who's to say what's better than the other?

Old 11-05-2014, 09:31 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
*Do you think there are more Single folks that are happier more then the Married ones?
I am happy and single, but I don't think you can really compare or quantify love or happiness.

Married folks I know (key words: I know) have their share of struggles, but the happiness they often experience and express is something foreign to me. For example, they can talk about kids diaper with each other and have a smile on their faces. I can appreciate it now although I cannot relate.

Happy married people give me hope and I like happy ending stories because someday, I would like to be a happy married person.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:09 AM

45 posts, read 59,373 times
Guess it depends. The divorce stats suggest the majority of married people are not happy. Then you must add in those that are unhappy but stay married due to religious reasons, the cost of divorce, fear of being alone, staying for the children etc. I assume you have better odds playing Russian roulette than getting married. Russian roulette is only 1 in six chance of wrecking your life. I'm sure some married people are happy, but they are a small minority. Or maybe they are happy for the first few years until the honeymoon is over and the chemical imbalance has sorted itself out.

For myself, it was one of the most miserable times of my life. I would rather lose my testicles than go there again. I already have children, so why go there again? It is something a man must do to raise a family, not for happiness.

Then followed a series of girlfriends. Eventually I would just bang a couple but stay out of relationships and keep them out of my children's lives. Duck when they start to demand something more, like moving in etc. But the last 2 years I stayed single and has been the most content, peaceful, drama free and fulfilling time of my life. My relationship with eth kids improved a lot as well. I can do more things with them than when distracted by a woman demanding attention. Like bike trips with my son etc. Its better financially as well. Less money spent trying to keep someone happy. In fact life is so content I don't even date anymore. It isn't worth the hassle and drain on your emotions, finances and spirit. God, children, mates and bikes are fulfilling enough.

Old 11-06-2014, 04:17 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kradmelder View Post
Guess it depends. The divorce stats suggest the majority of married people are not happy. Then you must add in those that are unhappy but stay married due to religious reasons, the cost of divorce, fear of being alone, staying for the children etc.
It's relative, a large majority of singles are unhappy as well, past a certain age range singles are saddled with loneliness and lack of a partner to do stuff with, that can lead to depression as well. The world unfortunately heavily discriminates against singles past a certain age... when you are young and most of your peers are single it's much easier to group with others for vacations, activities, dinners etc. When you are 40 and most of your peers are married and only want to hang out with other couples then you find yourself doing stuff alone by yourself... and are heavily discriminated.

Restaurants don't want you because you are occupying a valuable table meant for 2 and ordering just for 1, some activities will not let you participate (since it's minimum 2 to run the show) etc. etc.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:13 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kradmelder View Post
Guess it depends. The divorce stats suggest the majority of married people are not happy. Then you must add in those that are unhappy but stay married due to religious reasons, the cost of divorce, fear of being alone, staying for the children etc. I assume you have better odds playing Russian roulette than getting married. Russian roulette is only 1 in six chance of wrecking your life. I'm sure some married people are happy, but they are a small minority. Or maybe they are happy for the first few years until the honeymoon is over and the chemical imbalance has sorted itself out.

For myself, it was one of the most miserable times of my life. I would rather lose my testicles than go there again. I already have children, so why go there again? It is something a man must do to raise a family, not for happiness.

Then followed a series of girlfriends. Eventually I would just bang a couple but stay out of relationships and keep them out of my children's lives. Duck when they start to demand something more, like moving in etc. But the last 2 years I stayed single and has been the most content, peaceful, drama free and fulfilling time of my life. My relationship with eth kids improved a lot as well. I can do more things with them than when distracted by a woman demanding attention. Like bike trips with my son etc. Its better financially as well. Less money spent trying to keep someone happy. In fact life is so content I don't even date anymore. It isn't worth the hassle and drain on your emotions, finances and spirit. God, children, mates and bikes are fulfilling enough.
Kudos to you for pulling this off. I have heard of several single moms (like 3 time removed from my core group of friends) who are always complaining about the dad spending inordinate amounts of time trying to get laid to the point he never spends time with his kids. Women these days seriously like to bust guys balls and the kids are the ones who really suffer.

Good for you being able to set up FWB situations so easily, a lot of guys have to pretty much sacrifice all their time with their kids to pander to a woman to get her in bed. The issue is not married not married kids no kids but rather regular sex how you want it or not.

That is what makes men live longer in marriage, sex how and when he wants it, not shared living space, kids, or vacations etc. For a guy having a piece of paper is not what is making him live longer its the behavior of his wife/GF.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:17 PM
SF

286 posts, read 324,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
*Do you think there are more Single folks that are happier more then the Married ones?
Well that's not easy to answer. It depends on the person. I am single, I have always been single and I am happy, very happy being single and I have never regretted it.However some other who is single may not be as happy as me, it's possible right?

On the other hand it's also possible that those who are married are also unhappy. Hence it's very difficult to say if single people are more happier than married ones.It's possible that single people are more happy but in my view there is no certain answer.

Hence the answer to your question/thread is highly subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships