Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 12:21 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
It's because you live in backwards Tennessee (I know, I spent a lot of time there growing up). No offense to the people that live in the South/Southeast US. But let's face it; that region is still coming along to the 21st Century (20th in some cases). Move to a more progressive region, and maybe your views on the prevalence of misogyny will change.

Having lived in KY for awhile, I have to agree with this. I can't really fathom why any educated person would want to live in the South outside of a few oases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 12:22 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
It's because you live in backwards Tennessee (I know, I spent a lot of time there growing up). No offense to the people that live in the South/Southeast US. But let's face it; that region is still coming along to the 21st Century (20th in some cases). Move to a more progressive region, and maybe your views on the prevalence of misogyny will change.
Yes, I realize that. Im in the bible belt and change comes slow. I also lived in Ohio and saw the same.

I like it here in TN, there are enough positive things to negate the negative and I don't have to deal with people who hang onto those attitudes. As long as I check into this relationship forum I will not escape the misogyny anyway. It is far worse here than IRL.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:24 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes, I realize that. Im in the bible belt and change comes slow. I also lived in Ohio and saw the same.

I like it here in TN, there are enough positive things to negate the negative and I don't have to deal with people who hang onto those attitudes. As long as I check into this relationship forum I will not escape the misogyny anyway. It is far worse here than IRL.
But you have to put it in perspective. Maybe you think it's far worse here because it's right in your face, but it's likely the same few men who are propagating the misogynistic message.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Having lived in KY for awhile, I have to agree with this. I can't really fathom why any educated person would want to live in the South outside of a few oases.

LOL. You know its all about driving your truck down to the river, dropping the tailgate and popping open a cold one with your honey.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
But you have to put it in perspective. Maybe you think it's far worse here because it's right in your face, but it's likely the same few men who are propagating the misogynistic message.
I don't believe Im alone in this.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
LOL. You know its all about driving your truck down to the river, dropping the tailgate and popping open a cold one with your honey.

You're right, really. I saw people shooting fish. For real. Guns. Water. Fish. Blam.

SMDH.

(In the places that weren't too acidic from coal mine tailings to kill all wildlife)

Old 10-28-2014, 12:27 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,010 times
Quote:
I don't believe Im alone in this.
I'm sure you're not alone in feeling that way. However, I'd be willing to bet that it's the same few men who participate in it out of the hundreds or thousands who use this forum.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:32 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It doesn't only work. Even if they have assets, they often want mine. That is why I lay it out real early that even if we marry WE ARE NOT COMBINING RECORD COLLECTIONS.

That's a deal breaker.

Quote:
Maybe some of them do. I've never expressed having a fear of this. I also think some women on here are extremely bitter and disgruntled because of the crap they have read by the delusional/unrealistic male misogynist posters. And unfortunately, it's taken out on the rest of us who are actually trying to understand the opposite sex and do better. Or maybe these women are generally this unpleasant in real life. I guess I'll never know (thankfully).
The men who bash women here get what they deserve from the women here. That's about it.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:37 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,038 times
Quote:
Really? Because I don't see many single guys. Not ones that have anything to offer a woman. Everyone I know over 30 is married or in a similar relationship.
Guys keep passing around that story but divorce laws are actually more equitable than they have ever been. Alimony is now temporary spousal support if one spouse out earned the other buy a decent amount and the norm is leaning towards split or joint custody (in most states). I believe marriage rates may be on the decline because more people just live together and raise a family without that paper and more educated people are marrying later in life.

As far as the OP, perhaps more people will seek partners of the same gender.
From someone dealing right now with the divorce system, you are absolutely wrong. It's a horribly biased system. Alimony is also alive and well and in some cases, it's gotten much worse for men. A great example is Colorado which provides for 40% of men's gross pay to be paid to women in divorce.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
From someone dealing right now with the divorce system, you are absolutely wrong. It's a horribly biased system. Alimony is also alive and well and in some cases, it's gotten much worse for men. A great example is Colorado which provides for 40% of men's gross pay to be paid to women in divorce.

I thought it was 40% of the higher earners pay (not men) minus 50% of the lower earners pay? That is what I read.

There is no bias there, it isn't about gender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships