Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:34 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:

But the marriage rate is also in decline because some men simply don't want
to. They've seen and heard too many stories of guys destroyed by their wife in
the divorce, and separated from their kids. They see marriage as a gamble with
a high likelihood of losing, so they've decided not to take the risk. They can
get sex without commitment, so they settle for that.
Really? Because I don't see many single guys. Not ones that have anything to offer a woman. Everyone I know over 30 is married or in a similar relationship.
Guys keep passing around that story but divorce laws are actually more equitable than they have ever been. Alimony is now temporary spousal support if one spouse out earned the other buy a decent amount and the norm is leaning towards split or joint custody (in most states). I believe marriage rates may be on the decline because more people just live together and raise a family without that paper and more educated people are marrying later in life.

As far as the OP, perhaps more people will seek partners of the same gender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 07:37 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Men are opting out of college more and more because it is a hostile environment of political correctness.

I always find your posts entertaining.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:53 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
You know what's interesting about this thread... the assumption that women are shooting themselves in the foot marriage-wise by getting an education. Women with college degrees are MORE likely to marry than women without them (people with college degrees are more likely to marry than anyone else). I don't think women with college degrees are settling or struggling. In a way, getting an education increases their chances.

Source: College graduates more likely than those with less education to be married at age 27 : The Economics Daily : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

And as others have said, a college degree doesn't mean squat when it comes to earning power. It's a BAD assumption many people make. They figure the keys to success include college. Not true. Depending on your major, going to college can hurt your financial prospects. Then again, what you earn isn't everything either. A great career might include good pay, but for some people a great career means doing something they love even if it doesn't pay well.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
Women care far more about looks than they do about money from what I've seen. If anything, this is actually worse because a guy can change his cash flow. He can't change his looks.
Welcome to the world of women where nothing you do matters and it all boils down to "how hot you are."

Okay, that's tongue in cheek. Yes, there are men who only care about a woman's looks, but most care about a lot of other stuff too. Looks just get you in the door. I think looks for men is becoming more important as things "equal out." But keep heart, just like with men, yes, there are some women out there who only care about hotness, but people like that aren't worth your time or serious consideration. Looks and being physically attracted to the person are important, but it's not the only thing or even the most important thing. Most people (men and women) see looks as just once piece of the overall package... for some it's a big piece, for others not so big, and still others, small piece. Everyone is different and has different tastes. Just because you aren't one person's cup of tea, doesn't mean the next person won't adore you.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
And as others have said, a college degree doesn't mean squat when it comes to earning power. It's a BAD assumption many people make. They figure the keys to success include college. Not true. Depending on your major, going to college can hurt your financial prospects. Then again, what you earn isn't everything either. A great career might include good pay, but for some people a great career means doing something they love even if it doesn't pay well.

Though not quite as pronounced as it has been in the past, I think you'll still find that those with at least a bachelors degree significantly out earn those without one, on average.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Really? Because I don't see many single guys. Not ones that have anything to offer a woman.
Good grief, what a terrible assumption.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Though not quite as pronounced as it has been in the past, I think you'll still find that those with at least a bachelors degree significantly out earn those without one, on average.
Probably. But what I mean is, if you want to be a freelance photographer (for example) and go to school for four years to be one, you end up (often) in debt when you really need no formal education to be a photographer. You would have been better off starting to work right away and not building up debt.

But a lot of careers do require a bachelors degree--especially the higher paying ones. So on average a degree does mean higher pay because of those higher paying jobs. But so many people assume it "always" means higher pay and it doesn't necessarily. A plumber who went to trade school for two years earns more than an art history master working as a receptionist in an office for minimum wage.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Probably. But what I mean is, if you want to be a freelance photographer (for example) and go to school for four years to be one, you end up (often) in debt when you really need no formal education to be a photographer. You would have been better off starting to work right away and not building up debt.

But a lot of careers do require a bachelors degree--especially the higher paying ones. So on average a degree does mean higher pay because of those higher paying jobs. But so many people assume it "always" means higher pay and it doesn't necessarily. A plumber who went to trade school for two years earns more than an art history master working as a receptionist in an office for minimum wage.

Yeah, ok, I hear what you're saying, but in this example (and for many) I don't agree with you. Even the most talented photographers benefit from schooling in it. The professional photographers I know (I know a few) wouldn't have made the career they had without what they learned at Tisch.

But sure, I could earn a good living learning a trade or whatever, sure. Would I have been happy? Negative.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, ok, I hear what you're saying, but in this example (and for many) I don't agree with you. Even the most talented photographers benefit from schooling in it. The professional photographers I know (I know a few) wouldn't have made the career they had without what they learned at Tisch.

But sure, I could earn a good living learning a trade or whatever, sure. Would I have been happy? Negative.
I am sure they would benefit, but is the cost of college worth the benefit? Is ti worth the college debt? And does it have any long term benefit if a person hopes to work for themselves? Or could they get the same benefit from working right away or being an apprentice to another artist and learning the trade and business as practical experience?

My point was (for the purpose of this thread) is that I was refuting the whole idea that women with college degrees were "settling" for men who make less money. First off, I don't see why it's "settling" (I think most women care mainly that a guy has a steady job, pulls his own weight, and maybe has a passion for his work more so than his paycheck... if guys are dating women who demand to see tax returns or proof of income before committing, then they are dating the wrong women). And secondly (and this was the point I was trying to make), just because a woman has a degree and has more education than her husband, doesn't mean she earns more. A degree isn't a magic piece of paper that means you automatically earn more than someone without a degree. The real world isn't like the game of Life.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I am sure they would benefit, but is the cost of college worth the benefit? Or could they get the same benefit from working right away or being an apprentice to another artist? I used photographer as an example because I know of two professional photographers who didn't go to school--one of whom makes a great living. The other does okay (not as well) but he's also a lot younger.
Yes, because they can do what they are passionate for as a living. Whereas they wouldn't be able to if they didn't. The apprenticeships are key, but they need to be in the program to be able to get one. They're very competitive, especially in a place like NYC. And yes, it has long term benefit even if you're working for yourself because of what you've learned. That's hard for most everyone to duplicate learning on their own. I could never have learned what I learned in undergrad just on my own, or not realistically. Could you learn the XYZ mechanics on your own? Sure, but the theory behind the art which frames the approach... not so much. The interactions with the other students and faculty... anyway. There is no one right answer here.

Quote:
My point was (for the purpose of this thread) is that I was refuting the whole idea that women with college degrees were "settling" for men who make less money. First off, I don't see why it's "settling" (I think most women care mainly that a guy has a steady job, pulls his own weight, and maybe has a passion for his work more so than his paycheck). And secondly (and this was the point I was trying to make), just because a woman has a degree and has more education than her husband, doesn't mean she earns more. A degree isn't a magic piece of paper that means you automatically earn more than someone without a degree. The real world isn't like the game of Life.

I agree with you on these points. I almost always date women that earn more. I never thought they were settling. I just chose a low paying career path, but one I needed a BS for to start (and later a masters to move up), but it pays less than what many tradespeople make. I still wouldn't change that for a second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships