Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:21 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,031,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denghuolanshan View Post
Like I said I don't have much dating experience. I only had 2 relationships in the past and both went exclusive after holding hands. So I don't know what is the new dating world rule. Is this guy's behavior normal? when should 2 people date be exclusive? After sex? after become gf/bf?
There is no rule. No two people and/or situation is the same. There is certainly nothing abnormal or unethical about dating more than one person at a time, provided you are not dishonest about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 03:49 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,483,449 times
Honestly you cannot expect someone to go exclusive until you have at least had sex once, just my opinion of course. But no WAY I do that until we've had sex.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:05 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,144,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
There is no rule. No two people and/or situation is the same. There is certainly nothing abnormal or unethical about dating more than one person at a time, provided you are not dishonest about it.
I agree with this. OP, you also need to clarify what you mean by seeing him active on the dating website. this could just mean that he logged in to read a message someone sent him. Or he could be seeing other people. You won't know until you discuss this with him instead of a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:10 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,877,417 times
Quote:
Your advice pretty much sucks all around.

Here's a novel idea. Why not advise the OP to have an honest and frank discussion with the man and see where he stands on the issue? For all we know, he may be ready to make things official himself, and you're telling the OP to cut bait.

This. Until you have the discussion, there is no exclusivity.

Just talk to each other. It is really damn simple.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:54 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,891,089 times
You expect to be exclusive already? Sorry, I never did things that way, and I really am more of a "one woman kind of guy." But relationships take awhile to build. Maybe you could start by saying, "I'm not going to be dating anyone else or even looking as long as I'm dating you". But get real. Even in HS, going "steady" is a big deal, not something that happens right away in most cases.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:05 AM

20,729 posts, read 19,909,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
If it's bothering you, you need to move on. He obviously is.

And, there are no rules. Only rule is what makes you happy/confident/comfortable.

Why settle for less than what you want?

I've known some guys who after our first date, were very serious and didn't play around.

You need not to worry what "other people are doing." Don't degrade yourself!

Play by your own rules!
:co nfused:

That's rough.

I would have the "exclusivity talk" with him. And I would tell him, IF he is still on dating sites (I wouldn't reveal that I know), he should please take his profile down.

If he doesn't do it within the next weeks, THEN I would question his intentions with you.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:24 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,095,359 times
I feel like this is one of the hardest things about dating. You want to be exclusive, but you don't want to look desperate or needy by bringing it up. I've been there. If after 5 or 6 dates I really like someone, then I would like to be exclusive. I would like to know we are giving each other a real chance to get to know each other without having to worry that the person is going on dates with 3 other people besides me. I think sometimes people assume exclusivity, but I think until you actually have the talk and agree to be exclusive, it's better not to assume anything.

You can wait for him to bring it up, you can bring it up, or you can choose to stop seeing him.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:27 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,877,417 times
Generally for me the exclusive conversation seems to mostly come up when we're discussing STDs/ testing /birth control, etc and whether we're sleeping with other people and if we are going to likely keep sleeping with other people comes into play. Sometimes we agree to stop doing that and become exclusive, sometimes not. But, it gets clearly and unambiguously discussed at that point.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:34 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,807,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denghuolanshan View Post
So me and my date had 5th dates, we didn't have sex but did pretty much everything else.

However I still see him being active on the dating site where we met.

I don't have much dating experience but from the past relationship I had, My ex and I were both the " date-one-person-at-a-time" type. Just to give the current date respect and focus until we figure out whether we go next step or just break it.

I feel slightly disrespected that he's still active. Any thoughts?
5 dates over what time period? You are still signing on the site too. Does he see that you are signing on? I find with OLD that if a person is still on the site, that person is still seeking other dates. There is nothing wrong with that if being exclusive has not been discussed. I see dating as one stage at the tine. Dating for something to do could mean several dates with the same person as well as with other people. There is no commitment. Dating because it is '"you" would be the exclusive discussion stage. If he has not discussed being exclusive, you have no right to feel disrespected because he is still active. As someone else suggested, stating that you are off the site will open the discussion.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:42 PM

393 posts, read 466,089 times
Quote:
You would have to be crazy TO be honest about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships