Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it true?
Yes 24 75.00%
No 3 9.38%
I'm not sure/it depends 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 05:50 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times

Advertisements

How true is this phrase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 05:55 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
for me it is nonsense. To be happy you don't need anything either any one. Happy people are always happy with single or double unhappy person always unhappy where ever how ever and what ever. For me happiness is NO EGO ,NO DESIRE. By the way your user name remind me some one else.

http://www.pbs.org/thisemotionallife...what-happiness

Last edited by Zeurich; 10-31-2014 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: Adding some information.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:07 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times
It depends....it's natural for us wanting to be with someone. It's a survival instinct. And when those needs aren't being met, it can cause someone to be unhappy. Some people suck at relationships for whatever reason. I've been single all my life. Am I happy? Yeah.... for the most part. I'd love to be woth someone. My social skills are terrible. Very quiet, meek personality. Then to top that off, I have health issues to deal with.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:11 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
BS. I think you have to know who you are and what your strengths and weaknesses and needs are. And you have to be secure with all that.
That is not the same as being happy alone.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:17 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,804,827 times
I say it's true in the sense (and I've always taken it to mean) that if you aren't able to be happy alone first, you won't suddenly become happy just because you are in a relationship. Maybe for a while it might give you a boost, but you will settle back into your old ways of feeling after the "honeymoon" wears off.

I would say you can be "happier" with someone else. But that's a higher degree of being happy.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:23 AM

521 posts, read 733,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
BS. I think you have to know who you are and what your strengths and weaknesses and needs are. And you have to be secure with all that.
^ this

Old 10-31-2014, 06:28 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

I would agree its not the same as being happy alone, but personally I think it is you need to be happy "single" before you can be happy in a relationship. Alone /= single.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:37 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Maybe you're just happier with with someone else - a friend or a partner.

"No man is an island..." John Donne

Old 10-31-2014, 06:45 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
I think it's true. Not necessarily be happy with being alone, but being happy with yourself regardless. Like someone else said, it's more about being secure with yourself. No one can make you happy but you. It's a state of mind.

I just think relationships are icing. Not the cake itself.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
It is natural for many people, if not most, to be happier with companionship than without, and for most, the ultimate companionship is having a long-term romantic partner. Not everyone, but even without any empirical data to support it, I would still say it's more common to want a partner than not. So in that sense, many will be less happy with that facet of their lives if they don't ever find/fear they won't ever find a suitable partner.

But being less happy with one facet of your life doesn't, and shouldn't, equal being an abjectly miserable person in all aspects of life. If your life is ruined because you're single, then I'm sorry, but you're not an emotionally stable person. If you are a miserable, unhappy person person who is generally dissatisfied with life, no, being in a relationship is not going to make you magically all better. The issue is you. Sure, most people ultimately want to find somebody. But if you can't - CAN'T - be happy on your own, your unhappiness goes a lot further than just being wistful that you don't have a partner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships