Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 06:06 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times

Advertisements

When a woman calls a guy hon, what does she mean ? I get called this many times, in spite of horrible looks. I firmed up and told em "Look, I aint your husband yet, alright. Quit calling me hon, because it sounds freaky".

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 10-31-2014 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 06:13 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
A colleague at work calls me this. It's a term of endearment. We have a wonderful working relationship.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:12 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Can be demeaning from a boss, but a guy interest?

He wants you.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:28 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,092,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
What does he mean? Is it a good thing or is it a bad thing? I've always heard it, but I've been out of the loop for a long time and I'm curious.
They are either old (and saying it in a respectful manner) or a douche bag...who else would ****ing say that?

Old 11-01-2014, 05:17 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Don't mind any of those, but at work? No thanks.
One co worker called me darling a few times..
That was just weird.

It's mostly from passengers. Guys alone traveling on business. You're a captive audience and you just have to smile and take it in stride. If someone crosses the line I just walk away and let my supervisor handle them.
Mostly it's just harmless flirting and nothing to get upset about.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:32 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,240,283 times
It doesn't really bother me. For the most part, I think the people saying it are being harmless, man or woman. Once in a while you get the feeling that it might be in an insulting way, but, yeah, not usually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Hear it all the time at work.. Hun, sweetheart, beautiful, baby... ( passengers,not co-workers, with the exception of a pilot or two. lol) and it doesn't really bother me or maybe I've just become immune to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
It's mostly from passengers. Guys alone traveling on business. You're a captive audience and you just have to smile and take it in stride. If someone crosses the line I just walk away and let my supervisor handle them.
Mostly it's just harmless flirting and nothing to get upset about.
Yeah, if you're going to work in a customer service type of job, especially waitress, bartender, flight attendant (I'm assuming that's what you do?), I'd think you pretty much have to accept that that's the way it's going to be. Right or wrong, if you try to fight/report every instance, it would take up all of your time. A losing battle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I was called Hon by a waitress at a restaurant once (maybe other times, too). It went like this: "What can I get ya, Hon?" I said, "I'll have a Double Whammy Super Spammy Breakfast..."

I didn't think much about it. It's a term of endearment but like others have already posted it can be condescending in certain contexts.

[the breakfast was ok]
Lol...

Old 11-01-2014, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,404 times
I agree with all of these replies. However I would add that, to me, it is an "Old School" term of affection & familiarity.
Yes you could be offended by it-OR you could presume it was meant in the best way and take it as a compliment. It depends upon your mindset & attitude. I like to presume the best of people whenever I can....
Hope that helps.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
As a guy, I noticed guys from the South doing this when I was in CO, seems to be a southern thing.

But tone does matter.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:41 AM

39,226 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
What does he mean? Is it a good thing or is it a bad thing? I've always heard it, but I've been out of the loop for a long time and I'm curious.
It depends.

I've been called Hon or dear by almost every man or woman from the South.

I called many posters sweetie if I liked them. Glad nobody thought i was romantically interested in them. That would be a nightmare.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:30 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It depends.

I've been called Hon or dear by almost every man or woman from the South.

I called many posters sweetie if I liked them. Glad nobody thought i was romantically interested in them. That would be a nightmare.
Well, he's flirty too. Haha.

I'm bad at this. I feel like I flounder a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships