Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 01:16 AM

51,964 posts, read 52,408,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the other thing is that these days people dont want to lose control on the first "date" anymore. it is too easy to go out for a drink, and end up drinking a bit too much, and lose your inhibitions, and do things you didnt intend to do on a first date.
Wasn't that part of the fun of getting all liquored up???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 01:22 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,634,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Wasn't that part of the fun of getting all liquored up???
Until 9 months later

Old 10-31-2014, 01:28 AM

51,964 posts, read 52,408,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
Until 9 months later
Or 1.8 yrs if you're an African bush elephant.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:36 AM

23,594 posts, read 13,793,692 times
Long story short, I don't drink alcohol outside the home.

As to why, well, there are many reasons but one of the biggest ones is I don't want to be wondering the next morning if what I did, what I said, the night before was a factor of me having fun or if alcohol had anything to do with it.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:47 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,634,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Long story short, I don't drink alcohol outside the home.

As to why, well, there are many reasons but one of the biggest ones is I don't want to be wondering the next morning if what I did, what I said, the night before was a factor of me having fun or if alcohol had anything to do with it.
That is why i do not drink at all and if i do it had to be a good reason. I have been told i am very much a lady's man when i am black out drunk . People have told me I am very charming and such . I get the kind of black out drunk I can do every thing fine and if you did not know i have been drinking you think i was sober.

Also back than my liver was so black and bloated it could have starred in the movie Precious.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:05 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,285,921 times
I don't think the 'coffee date' is for everyone. I like coffee plenty, but for a first date I prefer to get a beer or cocktail for myself and whatever my date would like is fine for her. I would never choose a loud or trashy bar, and I would never drink to excess. The best time for a first date is 5:30-6:30 or so, depending on work schedules. That way, if the date goes well, it can transition to a dinner date, or at least the date can be extended by ordering appetizers. A nice restaurant bar or pub will usually have good coffee drinks as well.

I understand why many women prefer to get coffee rather than meet a strange guy at a shady bar late in the evening. Still, when women have suggested we get coffee, and I suggested 'happy hour' instead, they have always seemed pleased, even the ones who chose not to drink.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:27 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,805,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I don't think the 'coffee date' is for everyone. I like coffee plenty, but for a first date I prefer to get a beer or cocktail for myself and whatever my date would like is fine for her. I would never choose a loud or trashy bar, and I would never drink to excess. The best time for a first date is 5:30-6:30 or so, depending on work schedules. That way, if the date goes well, it can transition to a dinner date, or at least the date can be extended by ordering appetizers. A nice restaurant bar or pub will usually have good coffee drinks as well.

I understand why many women prefer to get coffee rather than meet a strange guy at a shady bar late in the evening. Still, when women have suggested we get coffee, and I suggested 'happy hour' instead, they have always seemed pleased, even the ones who chose not to drink.

Agreed. But lots of people I know, myself included, aren't going to drink coffee that late too. Coffee dates seem to be less loose and festive to me. There tends to be less laughter.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:40 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,556,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I've been out of circulation for quite some time, so I'm out of the loop on something that I've noticed when trying out online dating, or the few times I've been flirted with in person in the past few years:

These days, men seem to ask women out for coffee.
Back in my day, it was usually, if not lunch or dinner, out for cocktails at a bar.

Why has that changed? I know things evolve with time, like fashion and music, and I guess even the dating scene changes. I'm curious to see if anyone knows why. I've never liked coffee. A coffee meeting sounds about as social and sexy as a business meeting. Meeting at a bar for drinks would seem more flirty.
I agree with you. I'm not a fan of coffee dates at all and would much rather prefer a drink at a bar. I do remember in my younger days, I met a guy for drinks at a bar and just ordered lemonade. He probably thought I was weird.

Oh, and to answer your question: I think things changed to coffee because people got cheap and don't want to pay for alcohol. Heck, some don't even want to pay for coffee!

Old 10-31-2014, 08:32 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,543,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the other thing is that these days people dont want to lose control on the first "date" anymore. it is too easy to go out for a drink, and end up drinking a bit too much, and lose your inhibitions, and do things you didnt intend to do on a first date.
This. ^^^^^

Old 10-31-2014, 08:38 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,805,613 times
Losing some inhibitions (if you have them) is a good thing for a lot of people. It leads to fun times.

Losing CONTROL is not cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships