Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 08:39 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Or 1.8 yrs if you're an African bush elephant.
I am trying to envision a liquored up African bush elephant! For some reason, I can only imagine it as a cartoon.

I am not sure why coffee is more popular than meeting for a drink. I've done both for meet and greet, "date 0" first meet a person from OLD. Now, men I've met offline, usually invite me to dinner and drinks. I think the coffee date is directly a result of the popularity of coffee places AND online dating. Those two seem to go hand-in-hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 08:44 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Dinner and alcohol can be quite costly these days, especially if the guy is picking up the tab and going on multiple dates.
This would be my answer as well. I'm not going to spend a ton of money on a woman I'm meeting for the first time just to have her disappear on me after one date.

Take your coffee and like it.

I personally like going out for drinks though, because it loosens up both parties a little. Just don't get drunk, and it's fine.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:45 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Coffee or drinks - either way is good for me. If he doesn't like coffee, he can just get tea or juice.

The getting too drunk on first date and doing stuff you don't want to do is BS for me. I can control myself and wouldn't get drunk with a stranger. If the guy gets all drunk, wow ... thanks for letting my know right away you are a douche ...good bye!

Dinner is too much for a first date. I don't want to feel like I owe him something.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:52 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
My wife and I met at a nicer neighborhood bar/pub for beers on our first date. We liked each other so much we stayed for dinner.

I've had coffee dates in the past as well.

Honestly, I think it's more a function of time of day than anything else. Want to meet at 1 or 2? Go get some coffee. Want to meet at 5 or later? Go get some alcohol. Either way, the beer and/or coffee date lends a certain level of casualness and can be cut short or extended very easily depending on how each party is feeling about each other. A meal isn't really first date material since it takes a while and it can be awkward eating something messy and delicious in front of someone new. Different strokes for different folks though.

I don't think a lot of people go out for drinks on the first date with the objective of getting slammed and then...well, you know...slammed...

Old 10-31-2014, 08:57 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I understand why many women prefer to get coffee rather than meet a strange guy at a shady bar late in the evening. Still, when women have suggested we get coffee, and I suggested 'happy hour' instead, they have always seemed pleased, even the ones who chose not to drink.
Who's talking about shady bars? I don't go to bars period, but I like to meet for drinks at the "bar" inside of a restaurant. Coffee dates are the most boring things ever!

Old 10-31-2014, 09:03 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
What's wrong with hitting a happy hour?? Cheaper and still get the flirty vibe environment. You don't have to get hammered either

Old 10-31-2014, 09:05 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
My wife and I met at a nicer neighborhood bar/pub for beers on our first date. We liked each other so much we stayed for dinner.

I've had coffee dates in the past as well.

Honestly, I think it's more a function of time of day than anything else. Want to meet at 1 or 2? Go get some coffee. Want to meet at 5 or later? Go get some alcohol. Either way, the beer and/or coffee date lends a certain level of casualness and can be cut short or extended very easily depending on how each party is feeling about each other. A meal isn't really first date material since it takes a while and it can be awkward eating something messy and delicious in front of someone new. Different strokes for different folks though.

I don't think a lot of people go out for drinks on the first date with the objective of getting slammed and then...well, you know...slammed...
Time of day is a good point too! As well as the not getting slammed bit. When I've gone out for drinks as a date, I have one beer, one glass of wine, or maybe one cocktail and slowly sip it--it's more of a prop or something. Just because you go to a bar doesn't mean you have to get drunk!

I wonder why people make the connection of going to a bar = must get drunk but not going to a coffee place = slamming shots of espresso to the point where you feel like the superhero Quicksliver?

Old 10-31-2014, 09:39 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
When I've gone out for drinks as a date, I have one beer, one glass of wine, or maybe one cocktail and slowly sip it--it's more of a prop or something. Just because you go to a bar doesn't mean you have to get drunk!
Ha, I've found that too! It's less about the actual drink and more something to do with your hands (i.e. stir the swizzle stick) if you're a bit nervous, so you're not just sitting there looking at each other.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:07 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
........I wonder why people make the connection of going to a bar = must get drunk but not going to a coffee place = slamming shots of espresso to the point where you feel like the superhero Quicksliver?
Dog gone it! You've discovered my secret!

Well, A and B. A: On my coffee dates, I talk, A LOT! I'd rather not have alcohol loosening my tongue when I do.

B: If I wanted to, I can boost my aura on a person at close range. Whether it is actually expanding my personal energy field is unknown but to those I have done it to, they have said they have felt something. It may be "nothing more" than an intensity stare that hits all the right points in body language. However, it is probably more easier to do it sober than alcohol relaxed.

...............and then, C. I had one potential party recently who wasn't interested in meeting for coffee at all, but wanted to jump to you know what. I dropped him like a hot potato. This is my game, this is how I have fun, and it is probably good to work with me, or even with us women, if a man wants to get any where at all.

Mind you.....I'm just saying......

Old 10-31-2014, 11:17 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Dinner is too much for a first date. I don't want to feel like I owe him something.
you already gave him something for the dinner he bought, your time with him, and information about yourself. remember that your time is also valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships