Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 01:39 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I took a look at their site... the reason they don't charge women is because (as they put it), "men pay us to help them have a more fulfilling dating life and we recruit, headhunt, and interview women on their behalf." The men also get coaching services. So it sounds like women don't get any of these services... they just put into a database to sit there if called because they are a match for someone.
I'm not sure if I believe that they actually do this. I think that I would probably end up having to hire a private investigator to see if they actually do what they claim. I would also likely have to do background checks on any women that I meet through this agency. It seems like it would end up costing me a lot of time, effort, and money.

Quote:
But I do agree that having women pay nothing isn't a great idea either. Like another person said, people put value on something they pay for. If they offer women the same matchmaking services, I would say charge the same. But maybe just charge a fee of a few hundred to be in the database (that way you get women in your database that are serious about marriage).
Agreed. I have a hard time believing that the women in this database are serious.

Quote:
Took a look at their Yelp reviews too. Some unhappy customers, but their business model seems to work for them (and most of their customers).
Yeah, I looked at the reviews. A female friend of mine thinks that these Yelp reviews may be paid reviews, which is certainly possible, as I've personally known business owners that do this.

I do plan on checking out the speed dating events though. I figure if I strike out there or don't find anyone that I like, I doubt I'll do better through the matchmaking service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 01:44 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
The offensive part is that there are some guys dumb enough to part with that kind of money, thinking that spending $2,500 will guarantee them anything more than what everyone else can manage for free.
I agree it is very dumb, but it's their money. Then again, this is in L.A. where there are a lot of men that probably pull in $500,000 a year or more, and $2500 is just a drop in the bucket for them. I do think it's kind of funny in a way, I've been on OKC for a month and half for free and have gone on a handful of dates.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
Overweight makes them less desirable, to me, and to most men. Being professional does not make them less desirable to me. But that wasn't my point about them being professional, my point was that it has been my experience that most never married professional women over the age of 35, have a an irrational sense of self worth and relative market value, they think their management job and salary makes them more desirable, it does not.
I am 54, I work out 5 days a week, and my body fat is in the 9-10% range.

I am curious why this thread was locked, then unlocked(?)
My experience is that age, to women, is regarded similarly to weight for men. Being "fit" does not magically erase undesirable qualities, but the double standard seems to be that being overweight cancels out desirable qualities.

Mods locked to do a cleanup.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:47 PM

20,761 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
I'm not sure if I believe that they actually do this. I think that I would probably end up having to hire a private investigator to see if they actually do what they claim. I would also likely have to do background checks on any women that I meet through this agency. It seems like it would end up costing me a lot of time, effort, and money.

Agreed. I have a hard time believing that the women in this database are serious.

Yeah, I looked at the reviews. A female friend of mine thinks that these Yelp reviews may be paid reviews, which is certainly possible, as I've personally known business owners that do this.

I do plan on checking out the speed dating events though. I figure if I strike out there or don't find anyone that I like, I doubt I'll do better through the matchmaking service.
I went to speed dating in LA. OMG. TWICE. I met ONE guy who had potential.

Don't go to one where you have to pay. I went to one twice and had to fill out profile and everything. Thought they would match you up. Nope. They dont.

I met retarded guys, guys out of the age range, jobless guys, plain jerks, stinky dudes, obese ...

The ratio was 70:30 so I often had to wait cuz it was too many women.

You are in a different age range, so maybe you have more luck. The dating scene in LA is very tough. You have to be super attractive and expensive clothes, superficial and be somebody and have an expensive car to even be considered.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I agree it is very dumb, but it's their money. Then again, this is in L.A. where there are a lot of men that probably pull in $500,000 a year or more, and $2500 is just a drop in the bucket for them. I do think it's kind of funny in a way, I've been on OKC for a month and half for free and have gone on a handful of dates.
Not everyone can do that. I've been on OLD on and off for years and I've received very little interest. Most of the women are extremely low quality. And, while I definitely do not consider myself to be a catch, I think I deserve better than a single mom (of 3 kids), who is also a former meth addict, used to "sportsf*ck" (as she calls it), has no education, and is already in a committed relationship.

That's pretty much the quality that I attract on those sites.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:51 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,082 times
I don't like that concept, I feel like a man buying me. It is uncomfortable for me may be my crazy mind. There is something called here in EU too tau2 or something. Men has to pay to get the phone numbers and for woman it is free and still he need to pay a huge amount if getting to know me basically that damn site selling us. I don't like it.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
Not everyone can do that. I've been on OLD on and off for years and I've received very little interest. Most of the women are extremely low quality. And, while I definitely do not consider myself to be a catch, I think I deserve better than a single mom (of 3 kids), who is also a former meth addict, used to "sportsf*ck" (as she calls it), has no education, and is already in a committed relationship.

That's pretty much the quality that I attract on those sites.
I have - just out of curiosity - looked what women are on OKCUPID. I found many of them very pretty and down to earth looking on their profile, while the guys my age were mostly a disaster.

Also I have coworkers on there and they get good quality women and even found gfs.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I went to speed dating in LA. OMG. TWICE. I met ONE guy who had potential.

Don't go to one where you have to pay. I went to one twice and had to fill out profile and everything. Thought they would match you up. Nope. They dont.

I met retarded guys, guys out of the age range, jobless guys, plain jerks, stinky dudes, obese ...

The ratio was 70:30 so I often had to wait cuz it was too many women.

You are in a different age range, so maybe you have more luck. The dating scene in LA is very tough. You have to be super attractive and expensive clothes, superficial and be somebody and have an expensive car to even be considered.
I'm a guy. I'll have to pay everywhere. I haven't found a speed dating even where I don't have to pay.

But, yeah, I have a decent job, many friends, I shower, and I'm in shape. I'm also told that I have a good-looking face. My only issue is that I'm short (which is apparently a very big problem here) and live in a pretty isolated area of California.

Maybe the solution is just to get out of California lol.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
I don't like that concept, I feel like a man buying me. It is uncomfortable for me may be my crazy mind. There is something called here in EU too tau2 or something. Men has to pay to get the phone numbers and for woman it is free and still he need to pay a huge amount if getting to know me basically that damn site selling us. I don't like it.
Well, if you see it like that - if you go out to dinner with him and he pays, then he buys you, too. He buys your time and then expects something for it.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:54 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have - just out of curiosity - looked what women are on OKCUPID. I found many of them very pretty and down to earth looking on their profile, while the guys my age were mostly a disaster.

Also I have coworkers on there and they get good quality women and even found gfs.
oh boy oh- eve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships