Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 10:29 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I have definitely noticed that women speak for men in the healthcare environment. I think it's because women tend to be more involved with their healthcare than men in general and they pay attention to medications and general wellbeing than men. But I'm speaking about a particular setting. I personally haven't really noticed it that much generally, although I have noticed women speak more for their man in the US than in New Zealand so maybe there's also a cultural factor to it.
I'm totally guilty of this. I think part of it because he will "man up" at the doctor and downplay some things i think are important. On the other hand, he ASKS me to go because I will remember a lot more things and bring them up. He is on some pretty heavy meds, so it's understandable.

The main point is: he asks me to go because I will speak up on stuff.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-02-2014, 10:31 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,159,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm totally guilty of this. I think part of it because he will "man up" at the doctor and downplay some things i think are important. On the other hand, he ASKS me to go because I will remember a lot more things and bring them up. He is on some pretty heavy meds, so it's understandable.

Same here. But it goes both ways - he came to most of my OBGYN appts with me when I was pregnant both times. When my doctor would ask me if I had any questions, I would often ask my husband if I was forgetting anything or if there was anything he thought we should ask.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Same here. But it goes both ways - he came to most of my OBGYN appts with me when I was pregnant both times. When my doctor would ask me if I had any questions, I would often ask my husband if I was forgetting anything or if there was anything he thought we should ask.
Same here when I went in for a couple surgeries.

I do have to confess, for awhile husband stopped taking me to doctors... I was/am not happy with the military health care.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:41 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,620 times
Quote:

You have to understand that you are confusing people because you started this thread from a completely different stand point - customer service.

You are reading and referring to Atlanta BD's posts.

I AM Atalanta.

Lol...there llies s the confusion!

Old 11-02-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
You are reading and referring to Atlanta BD's posts.

I AM Atalanta.

Lol...there llies s the confusion!
Ahhhh! My apologies.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:57 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,735,418 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Yes it goes both ways! He speaks for me when it's something he's better or knows more about at than I am, like taking the car in for work or purchasing electronics or stuff like snowblowers and lawnmowers. That's just good teamwork.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:57 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,860,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Sorry fellow Ladies( know I'm gonna get it)

I notice in so many places : forums, socially, work place.....
Women will talk FOR a man. Like she knows what a man is thinking. How Men and the Male psyche work. Were they are coming from.

AND

Men will speak from where they are coming from. A Man's point of view.
Point blank, and to the point.

Nothing frustrates me more when a Man is saying something and Women chime in saying, No you don't think that way. Men think this way etc.

I have to sift through on how Women think they know how the opposite sex, being a Male.works, and try to really hear the Man whom is getting washed out.

Some ladies just need to dial it back and stop being a know it all.

How do you men handle all that?

I can't stand when women around me tell me how to think.
Have you spent much time on the Relationships forum? It tends to be the other way around, here. There are a bunch of men who gaslight the women, and tell them they don't know their own minds. There are regular posts by dudes who stereotype women and firmly believe their own BS about what women think. It seems kind of pointless to participate in a forum if you're automatically gonna discount what half the people on it say about their own approach to life and relationships. Hang around awhile, you'll notice the trend.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:45 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,932 times
But back to the OP at hand, I think a lot of women do think they know how men think or that they understand the male psyche when they really don't--especially when it comes to relationships. What they think is the male psyche is still actually their own psyche as women and the women who do think they know how men feel or speak on their behalf, are wrong usually. I brought up my customer service experiences because I think what I've observed is an extension of what you are talking about.

I always tell women when they want to understand men, get advice or clarity from men, not women.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:47 AM

Well, I always say that everyone is an individual so ask the individual that is pertinent.

I have trouble with the concept that all men are the same, or all women are the same.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:49 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I personally haven't really noticed it that much generally, although I have noticed women speak more for their man in the US than in New Zealand so maybe there's also a cultural factor to it.
I really do think it is a cultural factor. And I'm not saying it's limited to them but I do see it more so among American women than with any other culture of women I've been around whether is among my circle of friends or in the workplace.

A lot of times when I see women do it I see it as them trying to assert or display their dominance in the relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships