Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 05:31 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times

Advertisements

Depending on tone of the conversation it can just be genuine interest. Or blatant racists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 05:33 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Lol have no idea, but I get asked this question often enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It's happened to me, always as a pickup line. One guy at a gas station asked me about my "accent." It's, like, Californian?
did you say "like, totally"

Old 11-09-2014, 08:51 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
I feel kinda like an odd one out on this forum with regards to my ethnicity .

Old 11-09-2014, 08:54 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I feel kinda like an odd one out on this forum with regards to my ethnicity .
Why there are tons of other races on here?

Old 11-09-2014, 09:03 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Not a pick up line at all, lol
People ask me that all the time.....& they're always surprised by what I tell them, lol
A client of mine as she was leaving...was eyeing up my body...
She loved our session, but she stopped & asked what country I'm from lol
(She's from Peru)
I laughed & said this one!
She said that American women don't usually have bodies like mine...
What an unusual comment, but she loved my curves she said.
But anyways I also ask people what nationality they are or where they're from....
It's fascinating

Old 11-09-2014, 09:05 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I dunno. I think the spirit of the question is important. I don't see how it could be a pickup line, though. If you ask someone that with no prior conversation, it's just rude. Frankly, it wouldn't occur to me unless we got to talking about our childhoods or something.

I'm from Jersey, so it's a pretty diverse mix of people. Someone who has another skin color or "exotic" features isn't going to cause much excitement. I had a college friend of partly Native American and Mexican descent - she grew up in Milwaukee, and she was amazed when she visited me in NJ how she could hang out with a bunch of white strangers and they wouldn't ask her where she was from. In Wisconsin, she was usually assumed to be a foreigner. I'm not saying I grew up in some sort of color-blind racism-free utopia, but there was some sense of respecting boundaries and an understanding that it wasn't odd if everyone didn't look alike.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:26 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Not. I don't guess, as I hear it tons, have people stare at me, due to my unusual look. When I was younger, most people assume I am white. Wrong. I'm black, but have albinism. So, skin has no color, hair i blonde, and eyes are green.

It's mainly annoying. lol Apparently nobody has ever heard of it, then you have to explain it, etc. Or, once again, maybe that's just where I live where everyone is ignorant.
Nobody heard of it??! As you say, I think the people you live near are ignorant.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:48 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
New England? If I recall correctly from my youth there are plenty of people of Irish and Italian descent. Do you live in cocoon?

Damn! *so close* for an entire relationship thread to go before an insult. Oh well. ...

Yes, New England has many Irish and Italian. AND Portuguese, Cape Verdian and Polish, etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I"m not quite understanding your situation. Are you saying you're the typical New Englander except for the brown eyes? That seems like a very odd reason to ask someone's ethnicity. A subtle difference like that wouldn't be noticeable or mean anything to most people. There's really no other difference? Do you speak with a New England accent? I can't imagine what the cause of that kind of attention would be. And no, it's not a pick-up line.

That's the thing. I look pretty "white", lost my accent years ago, and most guesses are pretty "bland." (Most often I hear, French, Irish, or Italian. Sometimes if I'm tanned with is a VERY rare event because I'm pasty white at baseline, someone will guess something Hispanic or Asian. )

I guess I don't quite understand what "education conversation" comes from asking an American from New England about their Northern or Southern European ancestry. I accept that it is just common conversation in New England in some circles of people, but hardly anyone ever asked me in California when I lived there for over 5 years. This is the first time it's come up in a while but it came up more than once a day.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:58 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Specifically, I'm a mix of Indian Aryan & Indian Dravidian leaning slightly more towards the Aryan side.
Most Indians are some mix of Aryan + Dravidian, but you'll almost never hear any of them mention it. I hope you don't go around introducing yourself that way, in an attempt to ingratiate yourself with white women?

Old 11-10-2014, 10:08 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I dunno. I think the spirit of the question is important. I don't see how it could be a pickup line, though. If you ask someone that with no prior conversation, it's just rude. Frankly, it wouldn't occur to me unless we got to talking about our childhoods or something.

I'm from Jersey, so it's a pretty diverse mix of people. Someone who has another skin color or "exotic" features isn't going to cause much excitement. I had a college friend of partly Native American and Mexican descent - she grew up in Milwaukee, and she was amazed when she visited me in NJ how she could hang out with a bunch of white strangers and they wouldn't ask her where she was from. In Wisconsin, she was usually assumed to be a foreigner. I'm not saying I grew up in some sort of color-blind racism-free utopia, but there was some sense of respecting boundaries and an understanding that it wasn't odd if everyone didn't look alike.
This is really weird, given that Milwaukee is 17% Hispanic/Latino (any race), and 40% black, and that Wisconsin overall has a significant Native American population. Not a lily-white situation, where somebody of Native or Hispanic descent is going to stick out like the proverbial sore thumb, by any stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships