Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 06:19 PM

102,240 posts, read 108,130,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Settling with someone who you're arent attracted to is like trying to make a cheap motel look like a 5-Star Hotel. It ain't gonna work.
In a nutshell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 06:43 PM

11,813 posts, read 12,057,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
I think a lot of couples settle "to some" extent. I don't think most people end up finding that perfect partner that they envision. If you go through life trying to find that perfect someone, don't be surprised if you end up alone.
^^^This.

Maybe part of the problem is envisioning how your perfect partner should look in the first place.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:59 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,748,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
This is mainly a thread for the guys who don't have much luck with women (such as myself). My standards are high when it comes to women. I mean high! I won't go on a date with a woman I am not attracted to and I will not have a serious relationship with a woman I have no attraction to. I have had people say her personality will grow on you, which I think is nonsense. If I don't find her attractive, I never will. To all the guys here with barely no success with women, would you settle and be with a woman you had no attraction to, or stay single?
It has nothing to do with luck with women, it comes down to confidence. Sure, it is harder to find that perfect match, but you can't just go around thinking that all the time. I myself will go through phases. I might not expect to meet a woman and then it just happens. Then there are phases when I will be with a woman and I will wish that I was still single.

I will definitely have fun with a woman that isn't up to my standards for a long term relationship, but I let that be known, that I'm just looking to have fun with a fun woman.

If I want a long term relationship then I will never settle, not worth it.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:29 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,318,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go for the SWAG View Post
I look at the whole package. Some really pretty women make me want to vomit with their personalities and attitudes. Some ugly ones too. I don't discriminate....I'm an equal opportunity employer!
I can relate to that.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
I think a lot of couples settle "to some" extent. I don't think most people end up finding that perfect partner that they envision. If you go through life trying to find that perfect someone, don't be surprised if you end up alone.
I can live with that. I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Why would you settle?? You'd never be fully happy and then it would just bring nothing but problems..
Some people on here think if you can't get dates, you should settle.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go for the SWAG View Post
I try to give everyone a chance. Often times I end up being very disappointed. They could have had everything, yet were too daft to see and realize it. I always get accused of stuff I didn't do or had no control of as well. It p*sses me the hell right off!
I'm not a real big people person, but when I give people a chance they disappoint me as well. Now I'm selective about the women I choose to allow in my life. I completely understand how you feel. It's usually not a good feeling.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:55 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,748,194 times
There is a difference between settling and compromising.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:23 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,229,153 times
I tend to think of women who look extremely attractive in terms of looks as spam. Yes, I may get lucky and have her in bed a few months later, but a relationship involves far more important things than sex (Which BTW, is FAR BETTER after being rightfully earned). Much rather go with a mid range woman who I can comfortably share my joys, sorrows, concerns, interests, and other more meaningful stuff with regards to compatibility.

Men interested in relationships should be looking for a equally respectable partner, not some hooker. That's one thing many guys my age forget about.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:52 PM

13,671 posts, read 9,746,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Some people on here think if you can't get dates, you should settle.
This begs for clarification.

There's stark difference between "dates" and a permanent relationship. For those persons who are utterly unable to "get dates", there is by definition no prospective partner for whom to "settle". One can not settle for somebody, if said somebody does not exist. "Settling" means deciding to intertwine one's life with a person who comes into one's sphere of acquaintance, without that person having a special appeal.

But what about the case of the person who goes on dates from time to time, but is unable to convert those dates into a relationship? Should such a person "settle" for the first individual whom he/she is dating, who does express interest in a relationship? Or should the dating-campaign continue?

The point is that all candidate partners in our admissible set are individuals whom the person in question cares to date. So there is presumably a modicum of attraction, or at least potential attraction, already. To "settle" doesn't mean to stand with a cardboard sign at a highway offramp, with "Have pity on me, and marry me!" scrawled on the sign. Instead, settling means the cessation of dating and the acceptance of one's date as one's life partner (assuming that the feeling is mutual) without necessarily feeling any elation or self-congratulatory feeling of mission-accomplished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships