Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 05:44 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,743,913 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So, on top of my real life dating drama, I actually had the (not so) great idea to go back to online dating.
I've been exchanging messages with a man for about three days now.

On his profile picture he's wearing sunglasses so I couldn't see his face properly. He seemed alright so I thought why not talk to him. I may have gotten carried away ... just a little.

He sent me a picture and I have to admit, on top of not feeling the actual chemistry while talking to him, I now understand why my intuition told me I'd be wasting my time. He's basically everything I do not want in a man (physically speaking).

Sure, I could give him a shot but he lives far away so it's not worth the hassle. He's been messaging me all day and I haven't responded because his pictures literally turned me off completely. He been checking my profile about once per hour.

I don't want to disappear because that would hurt his feelings as he'd assume I don't find him attractive (rightly so).

I want to let him down gently without hurting his ego. I wouldn't want to be rejected based on these grounds myself. Hence, I feel bad for him.

What can I say?

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 11-12-2014 at 05:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 05:47 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,469,543 times
"You're not the right person for me"

If he persists for specifics, just tell him you do not find him physically attractive and that is important for you. Don't make him feel shamed for not possessing the qualities he doesn't have that are out of his control. Just lay it out there as a matter of fact.

Don't butter up the truth. Let the cards lay where they want to fall

Alternatively Say exactly what you said here: not feeling the chemistry, not physically attracted
Apologize for getting caught up

Old 11-12-2014, 05:49 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,751,586 times
Online dating is ridiculous.

Anyway, you could:

1. Tell him you aren't feeling it

2. You don't like him physically

3. You can just ignore him and hope he leaves you alone

Out of the 3 I would go with 1.

I'm getting a feeling you fall into the type of person that gives into social pressures. No one is going to chastise you for living your life how you feel (unless of course you go around violating other peoples rights and laws). Tell it how it is, don't be afraid of how you feel, start living life for you.

1,423 posts, read 1,396,685 times
Let's be friends...

4,575 posts, read 5,202,296 times
All you can say is, you're just not feeling any chemistry, or you don't think anything will work out in the end, due to distance, and real life issues. If those don't sound like good excuses, you can just not reply, and he'll get the hint. it may hurt his feelings, but there won't be any hassle or bad words said.

Rejection hurts no matter how you try to dress it up. In the end, you're not interested, so you can ghost, or outright tell him, "I don't think it'll work." If he pushes for more info, then you could get more blunt that he looks aren't appealing. He asked.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:52 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,321,238 times
Tell him he's unattractive and you don't like him. What's wrong with being direct?

Old 11-12-2014, 05:54 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,469,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Tell him he's unattractive and you don't like him. What's wrong with being direct?
Becuase I would assume, as she says "I may have gotten carried away"
Meaning she treated him like a prospect and than came to her senses as the reality caught up with her.

She already feels bad, she doesn't want to make it even worse

But I agree, there isn't no need to dance around the subject. You can be direct without being a "B"

Old 11-12-2014, 05:54 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,751,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
The point is to not be mean about it. Being mean is easy, being polite isn't (I'm assuming that is why she has asked).

Old 11-12-2014, 05:57 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
It is fine to say you aren't feeling chemistry if he persists.

I think the take-away is not to get carried away anymore if you are ambivalent about someone.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:59 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,743,913 times
I want to be polite. Rejection is hard to handle, I don't want it to be rude.
Then again, I don't want him to come back in 3 weeks asking me if I changed my mind. It has to be sharp. There's no hope left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships