Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 03:51 PM

94 posts, read 101,974 times

Advertisements

If you have a first date that is slightly awkward (but still fairly decent) and you are worried about what the other person thought...do you think that it is better to acknowledge it afterwards (when texting afterwards, saying something like "sorry if that was a little bit awkward, I'm kind of shy at first"), or just letting it be and hoping they just understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 03:57 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
I tend to be a bit shy. So, I would tell my date at the end, that I had fun, I was just a bit nervous on our first date, Because sometimes, people don't get it, and shy or awkward could come off as

1. They find me repulsive
2. They're not interested
3. They're cold
4. They're weird.

So, if I had fun, I would let my date know, that way they don't have to guess or read a slew of signals for "Did she have fun?" or "Am I wasting my time with a cold fish." So, if they still like me after the date, they know they aren't wasting time on someone who's uninterested.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:57 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
You run the risk of putting her off if she didn't think it was awkward.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:02 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I am shy too. I wouldn't apologize without a big dose of humor. "I'm sorry" triggers an "it's okay" type response, and neither of those things may be how you actually feel. If you can laugh at a situation or react with good nature, that seems more attractive than perhaps provoking feels of pity.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:13 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,210,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You run the risk of putting her off if she didn't think it was awkward.
Does OP want to be with a girl who is put off by something so trivial? I wouldn't. A person who does that is their own worst enemy and will never be satisfied, because they'll always be nitpicking extremely insignificant details.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
Does OP want to be with a girl who is put off by something so trivial? I wouldn't. A person who does that is their own worst enemy and will never be satisfied, because they'll always be nitpicking extremely insignificant details.
Maybe we have different ideas of what it means to be "put off." It's not synonymous with "upset." In this kind of scenario, it usually just means to be discouraged.

If you went out on what you thought was a great date, and the person sent you a text afterward that indicated they felt otherwise, you wouldn't wonder what the heck happened?

Old 11-13-2014, 04:24 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
At some point, the truth about ourselves will become known to others with whom we try to be close. Why waste time pretending we are something we are not?

Old 11-13-2014, 05:14 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,210,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Maybe we have different ideas of what it means to be "put off." It's not synonymous with "upset." In this kind of scenario, it usually just means to be discouraged.

If you went out on what you thought was a great date, and the person sent you a text afterward that indicated they felt otherwise, you wouldn't wonder what the heck happened?
Feeling awkward or shy around a new person and acknowledging that with the person you went out with does not indicate that you had a bad time. If anything, it's more of an apology of sorts, with the implication that the shy person will eventually open up over time if you are willing to give them that chance.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:11 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatsEnvy View Post
If you have a first date that is slightly awkward (but still fairly decent) and you are worried about what the other person thought...do you think that it is better to acknowledge it afterwards (when texting afterwards, saying something like "sorry if that was a little bit awkward, I'm kind of shy at first"), or just letting it be and hoping they just understand?
I usually will flat out say: "that was awkward" after a talk. If it was awkward, then call it out. Don't pretend as though what happened wasn't. Maybe the chemistry is off.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
Feeling awkward or shy around a new person and acknowledging that with the person you went out with does not indicate that you had a bad time. If anything, it's more of an apology of sorts, with the implication that the shy person will eventually open up over time if you are willing to give them that chance.
Apparently I never went out with any shy people.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships