Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2014, 09:39 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times

Advertisements

Damn and I thought an ex of mine had issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 09:39 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
So which of my standards are to high?

1. American
2. White
3. Male
4. Similiar interests
5. Employed
6. Lives Within 30 miles
7. Does not live with parents
8. Likes kids
9. Drug free
10. Drinks in moderation
Well, since you asked...

American and White aren't "high" standards, but are rather narrow-minded criteria, particularly for someone who wants to portray herself as educated. It's not the smartest way to limit yourself.

"Lives within 30 miles" can also be fairly limiting if you don't live near the center of a major metropolitan area. (Your profile doesn't say.)

"Drug free" is kind of a meaningless term, since most people use drugs of some form or another. If you mean "Drug abuse free," that's reasonable and wise. If you mean "Illicit drug free, you should probably consider that the most abused drugs in the US are legal.

The rest of your criteria seem reasonable to me.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:34 PM

1,274 posts, read 979,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Well, since you asked...

American and White aren't "high" standards, but are rather narrow-minded criteria, particularly for someone who wants to portray herself as educated. It's not the smartest way to limit yourself.

"Lives within 30 miles" can also be fairly limiting if you don't live near the center of a major metropolitan area. (Your profile doesn't say.)

"Drug free" is kind of a meaningless term, since most people use drugs of some form or another. If you mean "Drug abuse free," that's reasonable and wise. If you mean "Illicit drug free, you should probably consider that the most abused drugs in the US are legal.

The rest of your criteria seem reasonable to me.
Everyone understands that "drug free" means "drug abuse free" or no junkie. I do not think that as an unreasonable criterion.

"Lives within 30 miles" is also important, you want to be able to date the person easily. That is understandable.

The only criteria I would consider "unreasonable" are "American" and "White" as that might have a connotation. However, as being educated does not necessarily mean being progressive or liberal, well, you may just be a very "conservative", educated person, for what it means.

As a matter of fact, the first criterion, coupled with the foreigner status, could give a false (?) impression of will to stabilize the administrative situation - again, I do not know your situation, OP.

Anyway OP, the people you intend to "catch" should feel that you and them are similar. Not necessarily based on what you pretend to be, but more on how you express your ideas and structure your thoughts. It should be clear when they read you that they are talking to (reading the profile of) a person with common sense who can rise above for various topics and has been raised by a wealthy or at least respectable family, with a good etiquette. All that should translate within your words.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Everyone understands that "drug free" means "drug abuse free" or no junkie. .
Do they? I think some use it to mean "illegal drug free," i.e. booze and prescription painkillers are okay but pot isn't. Or worse, "The drugs I use are okay but the drugs you use aren't."

When meant as "drug abuse free," I agree that's a very smart criterion.

Quote:
"Lives within 30 miles" is also important, you want to be able to date the person easily.
If you live in a rural area or fairly isolated small city, or even at the far edge of a major sprawling metropolitan area, you may not have very many choices within 30 miles. That's the reality. You can consider it to be "important" if you want, but that won't make it any less limiting.

Quote:
However, as being educated does not necessarily mean being progressive or liberal
We either have different definitions of "educated" or different definitions of "progressive and liberal," If you think either allows for small-mindedness or bigotry.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:19 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
When I say drug free, in my criteria, I exclude drugs prescribed by their physician, taken in the direction prescribed by a medical professional.

I equally don't want to date pot users or those that abuse prescription drugs.

I only date within my race. I have made exceptions and dated 1/2 Puerto Rican if they were raised in the US. I basically want some one from my culture, that does not speak English as a secondary language.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:14 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Maybe I'm mistaken but aren't one of more of your children mixed race?

Old 11-20-2014, 05:35 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Maybe I'm mistaken but aren't one of more of your children mixed race?
You are mistaken. Both of my children are caucasian.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:07 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:

I only date within my race. I have made exceptions and dated 1/2 Puerto Rican
Those with Hispanic origins are Caucasian.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:08 AM

321 posts, read 292,747 times
Quote:
The only criteria I would consider "unreasonable" are "American" and "White" as that might have a connotation. However, as being educated does not necessarily mean being progressive or liberal, well, you may just be a very "conservative", educated person, for what it means.
When I see this I think the person has racial, possible racist issues. Most likely bigoted. Attractive people occur in all races/ethnic groups.

Total turnoff, even though I'm white. Back click.

Quote:
I only date within my race. I have made exceptions and dated 1/2 Puerto Rican if they were raised in the US. I basically want some one from my culture, that does not speak English as a secondary language.

This right wing / narrow minded viewpoint is a turn off to educated professionals, or most of them that I've met. Including me. I fit your criteria but would reject you on these views alone. You're not a person I would want to be around.

Last edited by mustelid1971; 11-20-2014 at 06:46 AM..

Old 11-20-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
When I say drug free, in my criteria, I exclude drugs prescribed by their physician, taken in the direction prescribed by a medical professional.

I equally don't want to date pot users or those that abuse prescription drugs.
So my suspicion was correct-- you exclude the most widely abused drugs, but include one of the least harmful ones. Between that and the racist/xenophobic BS, you're not exactly showing yourself to be a brainiac here. I don't think people are going to buy your faked education for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships