Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 03:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times

Advertisements

Nope! Not a chance in France. No way in hell.

Would I stay married to my husband if he was sent to jail or prison? See above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 03:37 PM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Depends on the crime and how much time has passed. I had an old BF that spent a year in county jail for an oz of pot. Not a big deal to me, so yes I did, and would in some cases. If it were a violent crime, definitely not.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:45 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
No, because my dad told me from a young age, "Our family doesn't do jail." and I want my kids to follow that statement.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:52 PM

251 posts, read 299,635 times
As long as she's not in for chopping wieners off, I'll consider dating her.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:09 PM

656 posts, read 1,341,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
If you knew someone has in the past spent 1 year or more locked up, would you date them anyhow, no matter what they did since they did their time, or would you hesitate because of their past stay?

If married, what if your now spouse did something after y'all were married and was to be put away in jail for at least a year and maybe even 2 or 3 years. Would you stick around and support them no matter what they did to be locked up this one time?

Whatever they did, they were guilty. Would you date, or if married stay no matter what the crime was?

If you say it depends on what they did to be locked up for a year, what crimes are you ok with to stay?
You know, I've never done time, but a lot of my friends I grew up with have. You live in a place where opportunity is limited, and the lack of anything better to do is always present, people will end up ****ing off sometimes and doing something, and end up doing a little time for it. That in mind, it's a little difficult for me to be judgmental on this. It didn't make them bad people - it just means they made a few seconds or minutes of a bad decision which cost them a bit more time. Not to mention I have my own share of things I've done and was fortunate enough not to have been caught doing.
Which isn't to say there isn't a line. I could say for certain some things definitively cross that line, but I can't really say exactly where that line is, as it's not really a situation which has ever come up for me.. I've never gone out of my way to date anyone, so it's not really something I put a lot of thought into.
If she, say, stole a car and went joyriding ten years ago, it wouldn't really bother me. If she was one of these "black widow" sorts, then of course I'd stay the hell away. But what lies between those two goalposts is a bit vague for me, and I imagine it would be up to the point where I was confronted with it. Then I'd know where I stood for sure.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:15 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Well, aside from the fact that it's usually the dumb ones who get caught and I tend not to date dumb people, probably not. It would really depend on the offense and how long ago it was. Someone who did time in the clink for chaining himself to the White House fence to protest a war, sure, I'd date him. I could even see someone who did time after getting caught smoking weed, as I have my doubts about the wisdom of it being illegal. Even if he was caught doing hard drugs, well, I probably wouldn't date a recovering addict, but I see addiction as a public health issue, not a criminal one, if all he did was take them and get high (meaning, he didn't commit a crime to obtain them). So while it's not for me, I can see where others could get past it.

Violent crimes, sexual assault, embezzlement, fraud of any kind, organized crime, larceny, stalking and aggravated harassment, and things of that nature, nope. Not with a 10-foot pole.
So you would date a smart criminal who hadn't gotten caught (yet)?

Old 11-17-2014, 05:19 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
No, I would not date someone who spent a year in jail. A day or two for something dumb, sure. But more than that, no.

As far as whether I would stay with someone who ended up in jail - it would depend. Honestly though, probably not. I have too much dignity for that. Exceptions might be say, arrested for peaceful protesting, that sort of thing.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:29 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corijei View Post
As long as she's not in for chopping wieners off, I'll consider dating her.
This really made me laugh !!!

Old 11-17-2014, 05:30 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Eh, there are people who have served time through circumstances beyond their control, or through transgressions that are no longer looked upon as crimes. How many have been jailed because they've been caught with pot?

I have a relative who had to spend every weekend in jail for months, because he lost his job and fell behind on his child support.

Details matter.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:46 PM

919 posts, read 848,279 times
Depends. Is she hot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships