Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 06:10 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,920,167 times

Advertisements

So I'm newly divorced after a long marriage. I didn't really date the field before getting settled so I'm learning lessons about dating and men that women in their teens and early 20s have learned.

So I'm trying OLD and I seem to be running guys off after meet and greet.

Trying to figure out what in doing wrong... If anything.

One guy and I got in several testy discussions about church and the way I choose to worship. Then he encouraged me to dress more conservative. 😐.
I don't wear very short and seldom show cleavage. I wear clothes that fit and accentuate my curves.

I also saw this behavior from him as red flags since my ex was very dominating and insisted that I dress very homely and used the bible as his reason for keeping his woman under control. 😐

I was okay about not meeting this first guy past meet and greet.

Guy number 2 at meet and greet suggested me going to his house to watch game. Of course I refused. Then he proceeded to have conversation like would I leave if he got hurt and couldn't work... 😏 and then told me how his mother waited on her husband hand and foot and that he wanted that as well. And the bible 😧 taught that women and men had their roles to play...

I'm thinking "wow... We are just meeting for coffee". I then had to suggested that we go slow and get to know each other and let's have fun doing it...

The third guy... Seemed very lovely and took me to art museum. But over dinner he asked about the demise of my last relationship. And when I briefly explained that the marriage drifted and I wanted to go slow because I was cautious due to some hard lessons learned from divorce he became irritated and told me that someone should beat up my ex for treating me so poorly. And kept "joking" about that and saying there couldn't be that many (insert ex hubby name) in the suburb he lived in. 😯

I'm very frank that I like who I am and I am not looking anyone to change me and I'm not looking to change anyone else. I also make it clear that I don't expect for anyone to take care of me and I don't want to take care of anyone else. (First man I mentioned kept wanting to buy me things when I accompanied him to sand club). I declined. I hardly knew him.

Am I coming off too independent. Too much attitude??
Everyone of these guys complimented my looks... And then immediately started with the questions. How many guys was I talking to or critiquing my fashion style. Also I guess meeting a female friend at a jazz club for girl night out is akin to hanging out in "meat market type" clubs...

I would like to casual date until I meet someone I get a spark with and go from there...

Is this unrealistic expectation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 06:17 PM

12,992 posts, read 9,714,203 times
Just don't try too hard, relax and enjoy your freedom and being single for a bit. The right guy will eventually come along and you will know.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:22 PM

I'm starting to get a little worried.
Those guys were not a good fit. So I'm really fine. I'm just getting worried that what if I meet someone who I really do like... Am I doing something to turn them off...

Old 11-16-2014, 06:28 PM

102,300 posts, read 108,429,936 times
You're not doing anything wrong. On OLD you have to weed through quite a few before you find the gems. Also, don't assume that Christian sites have the good guys. Some creepy guys lurk on those sites for what they expect will be easy pickings.

Try to get the preliminary discussions out of the way by text or email, so you won't have to waste time on meet-and-greets doomed to fail. You can have an email get-to-know-you process first, as a way to weed out the types who don't like the way you worship, or whatever. Also, just accept the fact that you may hit it off with only 1 in 10 or 20. That's just the way it is.

Are there church and community functions and events you can attend to meet people? Speed dating? Friends you can network through? Try all angles.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:29 PM

12,992 posts, read 9,714,203 times
Starting to get worried, how long have you been divorced? But just be yourself .

Old 11-16-2014, 06:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,740,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
I'm starting to get a little worried.
Don't.

It's online dating. You have to, metaphorically speaking, kiss a few frogs. Not everyone's a prince.

It sounds like you know what you want/don't want, stick to that and you'll be fine. You're not going to turn off somebody who is really interested. Somebody easily turned off isn't really interested. And the three men you mention sound like poor candidates, in general, anyway, so no loss.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:36 PM

I will try other avenues as well.

That is one thing I find very frustrating. I would like to do more talking on email and on the phone before meeting in person… But it seems that the guys after talking on the phone and decide that they like my personality they immediately immediately want to meet in person. Almost as if they are making sure that I look like my pictures. And then when meeting me seem pleasantly surprised and the start making overtures that are rather domineering/controlling which I find alarming since this is after the FIRST MEETING. Then when I politely deflect attempts to control (suggest) things they don't even respond to any future text. Rather rude so good riddance.
However. What if I really liked one... I don't want to come off the wrong way...

Old 11-16-2014, 06:37 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,999,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
One guy and I got in several testy discussions about church and the way I choose to worship. Then he encouraged me to dress more conservative. 😐.

Guy number ... told me how his mother waited on her husband hand and foot and that he wanted that as well. And the bible 😧 taught that women and men had their roles to play...
Sounds like you're dating too many religious guys, but maybe that's just me...

Old 11-16-2014, 06:39 PM

Okay. I guess I just need to relax. I got divorced and of course ex told me no one would find me attractive or want to be bothered with me... So I guess I'm getting s little nervous.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Sounds like you're dating too many religious guys, but maybe that's just me...

Yeah. You would think I was on Christian mingle. Lol. I'm not.

I'm so surprised that these guys are so religious. But I think they are using religion as a way to control. Just like the way my ex did.
I told the first guy "you know people don't get to heaven by how hard they control someone else" you get to heaven by your own actions... How you live YOUR life. Not how well a person controls their wife or daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships