Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 07:03 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times

Advertisements

I can accept a strong personality, as long as I get to lead, most of the time

I may tolerate spendthrift is she make the money to support her habit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 07:35 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Don't think I could name them all. It would depend on each person as an individual. Of course all the obvious things I would never tolerate - no matter what. No smoking, drugs, alcohol abuse...ever...no matter how great everything else is. But as for other things....let's see...I am big on attire...meaning, I prefer a guy that dresses well. Not expensive, not "dressy", just someone that likes to look "put together". My BF is definitely NOT one of those. He could wear an old t-shirt and pair of shorts every friggin' day of his life if it were up to him. Me - I love to dress up. I mean REALLY dress up. But we never go out anywhere that requires dressing up, hardly, since he just doesn't like to dress like that. Now this is not to say that he won't wear a tie to a funeral/wedding, that sort of thing. But he doesn't even OWN a suit. I mean, damn. He would look SO hot in a suit...but geez he can't even stand to tuck his shirt in. I hate it. But I tolerate it. I think I am going to start dressing up anyway, whereEVER we go. Maybe make him feel outdressed.

So that's one example, for me.

Funny...he starts a new job next month and he can't wear t-shirts.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 11-23-2014 at 07:51 PM..

Old 11-23-2014, 07:43 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
I'm willing to put up with drinking alcohol use if she keeps it under control and doesn't shame me for being a teetotaler.

I'm NOT WILLING to have a partner who is non vegetarian or has addiction to drugs.

I have zero rules on clothing, wear whatever you want whenever you want .

Old 11-23-2014, 08:32 PM

234 posts, read 327,885 times
It's hard to say what I'd tolerate. I only know things I absolutely wouldn't put up with: cheating, kids from previous marriage/relationship, kinda feminine guys (someone who is too sensitive, easily offended, weak mentally and physically, etc), drugs, alcoholism, anger problems, irresponsibility (like not having bills paid on time, not taking work seriously, having people taking advantage of you etc), I don't know.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:02 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
What are the flaws you are willing to accept to get the traits you desire in a partner?

Think of the essentials you desire in someone - now what true flaws, things you find undesirable, will you accept? What is the absolute worst you will tolerate because you are able to appreciate someone in spite of them?

Name the WORST traits you will deal with, not just little things that are "quirks" or which may amount to "cute disagreements".

These can cover their personality, physical appearance, social status, morals, etc.

For me, falling in love with my husband meant accepting him just the way he is.

Now, if he had been a drug user, a smoker, a tool, a jerk, a know-it-all, belligerent, entitled, wuzzy, insecure, mean, bossy, slovenly, etc I would never have fallen in love with him in the first place.

So...what he IS, is wonderful and perfect for me, even if there are some things abut him that aren't.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:10 AM

545 posts, read 632,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I'm NOT WILLING to have a partner who is non vegetarian or has addiction to drugs.
vegetarian girls are rare

Old 11-24-2014, 09:20 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
To me, I find the title of the thread to be problematic. It implies that you are actively searching for flaws in a person and, if you find them, you hit the Reject button, a hole opens in the floor, and they fall down a chute that spills out into the Scratch & Dent department. And the term "willing to accept" kind of speaks to a bit of haughtiness, as if you're deigning to let something slide. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be with someone who was "willing to accept" my personality flaws. A good relationship has three things:

Mutual Values
Mutual Respect
Mutual Chemistry

That's it. Everything else is negotiable. And if you're discounting someone because of some weird tic that falls outside of those three things, then you really have to become a more accepting person in life. It's kind of like that vapid show, Sex In The City. The first couple of episodes are funny. Then, after several shows where they talk endlessly about the trivial reasons some guy isn't worthy, you realize that these are shallow women who are, in truth, not all that themselves.

Think of all the possible significant others in the world as a gigantic Venn diagram, the kind of graph with the interlocking circles. Where they intersect is where you find the right person. The more circles you add to the diagram, the smaller that intersection gets, which means the fewer people there are with whom you'll be compatible. And that's my point. There are a lot of people on this forum who wonder why they cannot get into a relationship at all. In truth, the problem is that their standards aren't high--they're rarefied.

So concentrate on the big things: Honesty. Lack of substance abuse. Respect for you. Empathy. The ability to carry on fulfilling conversations. Scorching the sheets. Everything else takes care of itself.

Last edited by cpg35223; 11-24-2014 at 09:35 AM..

Old 11-24-2014, 09:32 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,099,271 times
Though I'm sure we all have some issues which are dealbreakers I always try to keep the 80/20 rule in perspective.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:03 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
I can accept most But here are things I will NOT put up with.

Bad credit
Loud speaking voice
Talks too much
Judgemental
Very religious
Wants kids
Very tight attitude toward sex
Not gainfully employed

Old 11-24-2014, 11:22 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvernightDelivery View Post
vegetarian girls are rare
I'm pretty sure this is a cultural/religious stipulation for Adi.

I also don't think vegetarian girls are rare. Vegetarian guys are rarer, in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships