Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 10:30 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,193,932 times

Advertisements

Your first step is to stop asking 40 year old women for dating advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 10:58 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
Couple comments:
  • Bars don't work for me - the type of girl I want to date (one looking for a serious relationship) doesn't tend to visit them. Besides, I'm not a big drinker.
Don't be so quick to dismiss women you meet at bars. Plenty of perfectly regular women in their 20s go to bars and clubs, it's what so many people in their 20s do - don't judge a woman's character based solely on the fact that you met her at a bar one time. Of course, if it comes to light that she parties hard all the time, like several nights a week or something, that's a different story. I even recall reading a study that found something like 25% of all couples first met at a bar. And I've personally known happily married couples that met at bars too.

And no, you don't have to drink to be at a bar. My buddies and I would go to bars all the time in NYC and not drink - we were there strictly to hit on girls, no one ever gave us trouble for not drinking. And yes, we did meet girls. Many times.

Basically, by ruling out bars and nightspots, you're seriously limiting your options in meeting young, attractive women. I'm not saying that's the only way to meet them, but for people in their 20s post-college, nightspots are one of the best options, I'd say (second only to meeting through friends). Probably much better than online dating.

Quote:
  • Online dating doesn't work for me. And I refuse to send out 10K messages before getting a response ("it's a numbers game" only goes so far).
Ok, this seems like a fair criticism. Although given your height, I find it hard to believe women aren't being responsive to you online. But w/e.

Quote:
  • I'm not sure if I should try one of those dating/attraction seminars? But they seem too pick-up oriented - I want a serious relationship!
Thanks for any help!
Those are for people that have major issues in dating, the kind that need the dating-101 level advice. If you think you're that far behind, then perhaps these seminars can help.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:22 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,268,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Rule #1. Women are people. Therefore, interacting with women is learned about by interacting with people. Therefore, do more of it.

Rule #2. Social skills are obtained through trial and error. Therefore the best approach is to try, make mistakes, offend some people if they're easily offended (they'll live, by the way --- apologize if it seems appropriate to do so), and learn from your mistakes. Don't brow beat yourself for making mistakes. Everybody makes mistakes. Even a gold glover makes a few errors and even a Cy Young winner gives up some earned runs.
Ya but most guys have the confidence, charisma, social-skills, conversation-skills for getting a girlfriend by their late teens and early 20's, so they must have had good social training growing up

Old 11-27-2014, 03:31 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
How do you indicate you like a woman?

Hmm, you simply tell her.

I think the problem for most men with similar dating issues is that they are all afraid of rejection. It's a part of life, go out there and try, that's all you can do. Be up front with a woman, if they don't like you they won't pay any attention to you, that's it basically.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:48 PM

1,418 posts, read 1,268,604 times
I wonder why it seems most guys are instinctively naturally born with the confidence and social-skills in order to get a girlfriend, they have had this ability since their teens and early 20s

Old 12-06-2014, 02:53 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Recent Grad1,

Join a mixed bowling league. You will make friends of some young ladies you can ask for dates...

Learn how to dance the popular songs nowadays & popular dance styles. Go where there are bands, including salsa & country.

Learn how to play Pool, darts, shuffleboard. Many of the ladies enjoy these games...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships