Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:06 AM

248 posts, read 259,234 times

Advertisements

I think the biggest reason is that even a shy woman will get approached by guys at some point in her life. Whereas if a guy never makes any effort with women it's unlikely one will ever take initiative to approach him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 08:30 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Actually, I'd say that it's because men are LESS open to talking about their lack of love life. They are less open to talking about it to people that they know in their real life - so they come to the internet to share their woes with complete strangers. I think most women talk about these things with their friends and family - not strangers on the internet.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Women tend to have a larger emotional support system than a lot of guys, so they feel comfortable talking through their relationship woes with a close friend or a sister, not strangers online. There's probably also a bit of men not wanting to admit this "weakness" to a male friend, whereas women may be more understanding about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smisk View Post
I think the biggest reason is that even a shy woman will get approached by guys at some point in her life. Whereas if a guy never makes any effort with women it's unlikely one will ever take initiative to approach him.
Maybe, but a truly shy women isn't going to put herself in a position to be approached all that often, and in the rare case that she is, she won't respond favorably to it. In the end the result is the same.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:31 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

Also, men can get sex very easily compared to women
This is the funniest thing I've read all day. I'll admit, the "women have it easy" stuff is beaten to death around here (even if I agree with some of the sentiments), but to try and claim THIS? Absolutely not.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:33 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
Which means that about 3% of men between the ages of 25-44 are virgins. It's actually a lot more than I would expect. I would've expected the number to be below 1%. Honestly we've probably all come into contact with people who are older virgins but we didn't know it.
The question was about vaginal intercourse. So you have to assume a good number of that 3% of men are strictly gay.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:36 AM

408 posts, read 722,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
The question was about vaginal intercourse. So you have to assume a good number of that 3% of men are strictly gay.
I assumed the sample size was completely heterosexual.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:39 AM

408 posts, read 722,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
The percentage of males who haven't had vaginal intercourse decreases as they age. Less than 5% of men 25-29 have not had vaginal intercourse. The number for men 40-44 is 0.3%. I think it's pretty obvious that the survey is talking about heterosexual men.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:48 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
Quote:
The percentage of males who haven't had vaginal intercourse decreases as they age. Less than 5% of men 25-29 have not had vaginal intercourse. The number for men 40-44 is 0.3%. I think it's pretty obvious that the survey is talking about heterosexual men.
Did you ever take a statistic class?

The survey was conducted among a single cohort of men and women. They were also asked about same-sex experiences. 6% of men and 12% of women reported having some kind of sex with the same gender.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:30 AM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I think it is due to the fact that women have better social relationships then men. We can whine at our GFs over a glass of Pinot Noir and men can't discuss this with their male friends.... thus they seek out internet forums.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-04-2014, 09:52 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Actually, I'd say that it's because men are LESS open to talking about their lack of love life. They are less open to talking about it to people that they know in their real life - so they come to the internet to share their woes with complete strangers. I think most women talk about these things with their friends and family - not strangers on the internet.
I definitely think this is part of it. I didn't date at all in high school and sort of did in college. All my female friends knew that about me; I had plenty of people in real life to talk to about it.

Quote:
Which means that about 3% of men between the ages of 25-44 are virgins. It's actually a lot more than I would expect. I would've expected the number to be below 1%. Honestly we've probably all come into contact with people who are older virgins but we didn't know it.
I've known several virgins that are over 25, both male and female. I'm sure that would have surprised a lot of people who didn't know them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smisk View Post
This was never my experience. I'm overweight but not ugly and not morbidly obese or anything. I was always able to shop at whatever store was trendy when I was in high school/college/now. I'm not even shy. That said, I was never once asked out by someone in person. It's never happened (and never will now that I'm married). I hate the assumption that if you're female you will be asked out; it's not true for all of us. I would have probably gone out with anyone, especially when I was younger. No one ever asked though.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:06 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
Women have it WAY easier in dating and are able to get into relationships and have sex at will, while men have to work much harder for it.
Essentially this. You can be an average to below average woman and still have far more dating opportunities/experience than an average looking to slightly-above average looking guy IMO. Traditionally, males are the pursuers with regards to courting and relationships. I think men are also more motivated by sexual conquest. There are far more men out there pursuing women than women are pursuing men. This alone presents far more dating/relationship opportunities for women than men. This also creates a lopsided supply/demand equilibrium in favor of women in the dating market, because there are far more men competing for the interest of an average woman. The same can't be said for an average male in the majority of cases.

That said, it also means that women typically have to go through a whole slew of scumbags before they find a proper suitor. This can unintentionally hurt men's opportunities, because as a result, women become far pickier in who they are willing to give a chance (because they feel like they've been hurt too many times in the past; baggage).

As far as why you see more men on this forum, let's keep a couple things in mind. A) Are these the same few men over and over again that we're interpreting as a bunch of different men? B) The men I typically see on here who complain over and over again come across as generally socially-reclusive/awkward/introverted. In other words, it's not only women they have trouble with, but social interactions in general; lots of your typical engineers/techies/nerds who were always shy and socially-inept throughout their lives.

Last edited by Lafleur; 12-04-2014 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships