Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 02:52 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,861,171 times

Advertisements

I got friend zoned by a girl I was with for two years. We live two hours apart so the relationship at times felt long distance. We'd see each other every weekend. For whatever reason she wanted a change. She wanted someone closer. She has a new boyfriend now.

So, I tried to be the good friend for awhile, but, it just wasn't the same. I wasn't getting the warmth from her that I used to. I didn't expect things would be the same as they were before, but, she started treating me indifferently.

So, I couldn't keep the friend thing going. I figured the best thing for me to do was to just be completely honest with how I felt and then just move on from there. So, I wrote an email where I basically said that I was in love with her and that I felt we were soul mates.

I figured, why not? I might as well just say how I feel rather than try to pretend to be a friend and hide my feelings. And, it actually felt really good to say what I said.

So a few weeks passed and I hadn't heard from her. Then I got a response. She said she didn't reply sooner because she had to let it all sink in. She asked how I was doing and hoped I was doing well etc. But didn't say much else.

A few days later she texted me that she wasn't happy with her current situation.

The way I see it is, if she didn't still feel something for me, that soul mate letter would have totally scared her off and she wouldn't have responded at all. I know if a girl sent me a letter saying we were soul mates and I didn't agree I'd probably not respond.

So, it's a bit confusing. She responded (when she could have just used my letter as a reason not to respond anymore) but when she responded she didn't touch the whole soul mate thing.

Any advice? Back off a bit again and let her come to me on her own terms? Are her responses a sign that she doesn't want to lose me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 02:57 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,182,039 times
Back off a bit.

There's no way you could know if she's your soul mate. You didn't even see each other day in/day out.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Back off a bit.

There's no way you could know if she's your soul mate. You didn't even see each other day in/day out.
I should have mentioned that we have known each other for about eight years did see each other day in/day out before she went to graduate school. But, most of our dating relationship we have lived two hours apart.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:12 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,182,039 times
To be honest, I think "soul mate" is an overly dramatic and manipulative phrase to use.

All it can do is induce guilt in the other person, leading her to believe that your life is now doomed to loneliness because you aren't together.

It will be interesting to see what she does, but it was not a very cool move, to me.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:13 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,501,022 times
Just wait, it will not come. This is over. No one takes "weeks" to process an email hahaha

Old 12-07-2014, 03:15 PM

29,540 posts, read 22,833,084 times
What was the situation for the breakup, other than you stating that she wanted a change. Was it you or her that broke up?

Speaking from personal experience, opening your heart to a girl in that sort of situation isn't always going to work.

There's a reason why she wanted a break in the first place.

I'm sure if she really wanted to be with you in that intimate sort of way you want, she would have said so herself a while ago. Some girls don't like being put on the spot like that, so they'll try to 'ease' away from the situation.

One piece of advice I learned a long time ago from an online relationship site (Doc Love), is that a girl should always have a higher interest level in the guy, than vice versa (or appear that way).

That's just me though, and my honest opinion. This situation may be different and end up happily for the OP.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What was the situation for the breakup, other than you stating that she wanted a change. Was it you or her that broke up?

Speaking from personal experience, opening your heart to a girl in that sort of situation isn't always going to work.

There's a reason why she wanted a break in the first place.

I'm sure if she really wanted to be with you in that intimate sort of way you want, she would have said so herself a while ago. Some girls don't like being put on the spot like that, so they'll try to 'ease' away from the situation.

One piece of advice I learned a long time ago from an online relationship site (Doc Love), is that a girl should always have a higher interest level in the guy, than vice versa (or appear that way).

That's just me though, and my honest opinion. This situation may be different and end up happily for the OP.
She broke up with me. Yes, there's a reasons people break up. And,there are reasons people get back together.

We actually already went through the "ease away" phase. We were barely talking the two months prior to the email. So, her responding to the email is not about wanting to ease away.

I just figured I had nothing to lose and I might as well just lay it all out there and let her know how I feel. Yeah, I agree that opening your heart to a girl is risky. I didn't want to continue just being a friend where I am such a low priority. So, I just took the risk and told her how I felt.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:36 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,026,225 times
who is a soul mate any way how do we recognize them?

Old 12-07-2014, 03:36 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,501,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
She broke up with me. Yes, there's a reasons people break up. And,there are reasons people get back together.

We actually already went through the "ease away" phase. We were barely talking the two months prior to the email. So, her responding to the email is not about wanting to ease away.

I just figured I had nothing to lose and I might as well just lay it all out there and let her know how I feel. Yeah, I agree that opening your heart to a girl is risky. I didn't want to continue just being a friend where I am such a low priority. So, I just took the risk and told her how I felt.
You have to physically talk to her man. It's soooo easy to ignore an email or text, way less harder to stomp your heart verbally or face to face. Sometimes people don't know what they want until you tell them.

Old 12-07-2014, 03:38 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,894,117 times
You told your ex that she was your soulmate?

Well, that was silly.

Last edited by SD4020; 12-07-2014 at 04:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships